Alchemy Mod by BadZombie (Potions and Buffs) A20

poly

955579.3249999988_Alchemy mod.png

Hey guys,

This is my first mod which I began developing in A19.

The original idea was to create a super simple mod in order to learn about modding, with the very first version being a new item consumable which gave the player a temporary buff, but as I began learning about Unity and XML I kept adding more and more until eventually I am at the point where I want to share it with the community.

The mod adds potions to the game, which when consumed give the player a temporary buff.

Potions, Elixirs and Brews are separated into four categories: Tier 1, 2, 3 and Special.

Tier 1, 2 and 3 recipes can be found or unlocked via the the skill tree.

Special recipes can only be unlocked via finding a recipe in the world.

In order to craft the potions you need to put points into Intelligence >The Alchemist, or find the relevant schematics/recipes.

All potions, brews and elixirs are crafted at the Alchemy Station.

v2.0 UPDATE / 08.11.22 - NEW WORLD REQUIRED, WILL NOT WORK ON CURRENT SAVE

• Elixir of Life Wellness Model: Consuming an Elixir of Life potion will increase your maximum health by 5, to a maximum of 1000.

• NEW TIER 1 POTION: POTION OF SATIATION -  Digestion and stamina regen 50%

• NEW TIER 2 POTION: POTION OF RECUPERATION - Regain 3 Health/Stamina points every 5 seconds for 2 minutes (72 points total)

• NEW TIER 3 POTION: STRONGMAN'S BREW - Max Health +50, gain 1 HP every 2s (max 50 HP), debuff - lose 1 HP every 20s for 10m. Max Health +50 for 20m, +3 strength

• NEW SPECIAL POTION: ELIXIR OF GREATNESS - Temporarily enhance all skills by 3.

The following 3 updates are experimental...

• NEW POTION TYPE: POTION BOMB - A throwable potion variant, which gives an AOE buff on impact to players within a specific block radius.
  • NEW POTION BOMB: Lesser Potion of Healing - Heal all players within a 7 block radius on impact, 2 HP/s for 30 seconds.
  • NEW POTION BOMB: Greater Potion of Healing - Heal all players within a 7 block radius on impact, 4 HP/s for 60 seconds.

• NEW RESOURCE: Cop Spit - obtained from harvesting the corpse of a dead zombie cop/feral zombie cop.

• NEW APPAREL ITEM: Cloak of Invisibility (Legendary item) - walk amongst the undead when equipped.

• 25% sell value added to racks of Special potions - Selling a rack of a special potion will give the player 25% more dukes than selling the same amount individually.

• Special potion racks now unlocked at 5/5 The Alchemist.

• Potion item colours changed for an instant indicator of loot tier: Tier 1: Red bottles, Tier 2: yellow, Tier 3: Green, Special: Blue.

• NEW ARMOUR MOD: Zirconium Steel Plating. When equipped to a piece of armour gives the player a +30 boost to maximum health.

• NEW ITEM: Zircon Plate. (Used in crafting the Zirconium Steel Plating Mod).

• Changed Vulture Feather conversion rate from 1:1 to 4:1 (Feather:Vulture Feather).
  • Extended the 'AlchemistMaxDoubleHarvest' perk (Activated when completed 5/5 The Alchemist) to ores: Aluminium, Manganese, Chromium, Copper, Zinc, Titanium, Nickel, Zircon, Magnesium, Tin.
  • MINOR EDITS TO LOCALIZATION FILE.

FIXES/NERFS...

• Prospector's Forge now unlockable via The Alchemist perk and schematic - previously stated as Advanced Engineering perk and schematic.
  • Elixir of Energy + Potion of Titans rack recipe ingredients - previously required Miner's Brew to craft.
  • Zircon Sand, Gold Dust + Silver Dust sell prices reduced 10 times.

v1.3.4 - UPDATE / 28.03.22

• NEW SPECIAL POTION: Elixir of the Living Dead: temporary invisibility
  • NEW TIER 3 POTION: Potion of Titans: increase max health by 50 for 5 mins
  • NEW TIER 3 POTION: Elixir of Energy: increase max stamina by 50 for 5 mins
  • Multivitamins effect reduced from 12 mins to 3 mins
  • Special Potions can now only be crafted once a recipe is found, they can no longer be unlocked via the Alchemy Perk
  • Special Potions can be sold individually to traders as well as in bundles (potion racks)
  • Lowered the probability of finding Elixir of Charisma in vending machines from 100% to 25%
  • Recipe for Huntman's Brew altered slightly to better reflect low Stag spawns
  • Tweaked loot table to allow potions and potion recipes to drop in yellow, blue and red loot bags according to value
  • All Special Potions now appear with gold text to distinguish them as valuable

v1.3.3 - UPDATE

• Changed potion stack size from 1 to 6
  • Changed potion rack stack size from 5 to 125
  • Added AlchemistMaxDoubleHarvest tag - when a player maxes out the Alchemist perk they will get double harvest of animal by-product items: Vulture Feathers, Stag Antlers, Snake Venom, Lion Teeth

v1.3.2 (PATCH)

• Fixed a problem in recipes.xml, where Potion Racks were still requiring 12 potions to craft (changed to 6)
  • Changed Potion Rack ItemTypeIcon to bundle

v1.3.1 (PATCH)

• Fixed a problem with Dumpster causing errors

v1.3 - METALLURGY AND ZOMBIE TRAP UPDATE / 28.02.22

ITEMS

• 10 new ores added: Aluminium, Manganese, Chromium, Copper, Zinc, Titanium, Nickel, Zircon, Magnesium, Tin - each new ore has at least 1 use
  • Steel Bullion, Stainless Steel, Zirconium Steel added
  • Blocks made from Forged Steel can now be upgraded to Stainless Steel (15k HP)
  • Blocks made from Stainless Steel can be upgraded to Zirconium Steel (20k HP)
  • Silver Dust added - same as Gold Dust, but for basic potions
  • Multivitamins added - made from Zinc and Magnesium, taken as a tablet, gives player temporary health and stamina buff
  • Bear Bait added - craftable bait made from Bear Flesh and Psilocybin Extract
  • Psilocybin Extract added - derived from Mushrooms, used in bait, or ingested by the player
  • Medical Syringe variant added - take blood from captured zombies. Zombie must be targeted by player, ie by punching it
  • Copper Cup added - used to craft Miner's Brew and Huntsman's Brew

WORKSTATIONS

• Prospector's Forge - a new type of Forge with 11 smeltable ore slots

BLOCKS

• Zombie trap added - Allows players to capture zombies using bait, with the intention of taking blood from them (for use in potion making)
  • 3 captured zombie variants added with varying levels of health (more health = more blood)

MISC

• Minor description changes
  • Minor recipe ingredient edits to scale difficulty
  • Restructured the potion values, in line with a 4-tier system
  • Decreased potion rack sizes from 12 to 6
  • Made dumpsters craftable with Alchemy perks, unlocked alongside the Zombie Trap Schematic
  • Removed ragdoll effect from Elixir of Life - this was a bug whereby you could retain the potion while consuming and jumping simultaneously
  • Removed Mineral Rock

v1.2 (PATCH)

• Decreased the amount of vulture feathers obtained through harvesting from 30 to 4 (12 from Radiated Vultures)
  • Added chance to get Wolf Fangs from Dire Wolf as well as regular wolf
  • Made Chalice smeltable in the Forge as Brass
  • Lowered the probability to mine Unknown Gem

v1.1 (PATCH)

• Edited progression.xml for mod compatibility
  • Fixed bug with Huntsman's Brew whereby crouch speed didn't change
  • Fixed bug with Syringe recipe at forge

v1 / 25.01.22

• 10 new consumable variants
  • 1 new equipable tool: Rock Hammer
  • 1 new workstation: Alchemy Station
  • 2 new rare ores/minerals found through mining: Uranium, Unknown Gem
  • 8 new harvestable resources: Rabbit Flesh, Bear Flesh, Infected Flesh, Venom, Vulture Feather, Wolf Fang, Lion Tooth, Stag Antlers
  • 8 new misc items: Chalice, Mineralizer, Syringe, Antidote, Infected Blood, Gold Dust, Empty Bottle, Bottle Rack

DOWNLOAD LATEST VERSION HERE: https://github.com/BadZombie-Poly/Alchemy

- MIRROR: https://www.nexusmods.com/7daystodie/mods/1954/

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7zQAzL-tVGVTuOT6tMgVXQ/featured

OUR 7 DAYS SERVER: ☣︎ BadZombie ☣︎ [EU][PvE] Alchemy Mod | 2 Hr Days

Searching "_AM" in the Creative Menu brings up all new items added by the mod.

Please report back any bugs or suggestions as I am constantly trying to make improvements.

Alchemy Station

Alchemy Station.png

Potion bottle model

7 Days to Die Screenshot 2022.01.25 - 19.52.11.63.png

Perk tree

7 Days to Die Screenshot 2022.01.25 - 20.26.20.57.png

Rare Secret Stash Schematics

Trader 3.png

Captured Zombies are discoverable with level 1 Animal Tracker

Captured 3.pngCaptured 4.png

Prospector's Forge

Forge 1.png

Block upgrades

Upgrade 2.png

Upgrade 3.png

Edited by poly
NEW UPDATE V2.0 (see edit history)

Welcome to the modding community Poly!!!

I do have an edit suggestion which makes your mod more compatible with any other mod that also edits progression.xml.

On your progression.xml, you have essentially created a NEW perk section, so when another mod tries to add one to the perks, it tries to add it twice. Sorry if that was complicated.

Essentially, by doing these three edits, your mod still works and is more compatible with others:

1.) Delete line 87    which is the </perks>   specifically the perks that is plural with an S.
2.) Deleted line 8   which is the whole <perks line.
3.) Within line 7, where it says "/progression" I added inside of that "/perks"... so it now reads <append xpath="/progression/perks">

And it is good to go! 🙂 Nice work all around! 

10 hours ago, XRedMillenniumX said:

Hey Poly! Awesome Mod really! 

I have noticed one thing while testing, 

The Huntsman Brew does NOT increase crouching speed. That is the only issue I have noticed with your mod so far! Just wanted to let you know! It really is something great though.

Thanks! I will have a play around and try to get that working! 

9 hours ago, AuroraGiggleFairy said:

Welcome to the modding community Poly!!!

I do have an edit suggestion which makes your mod more compatible with any other mod that also edits progression.xml.

On your progression.xml, you have essentially created a NEW perk section, so when another mod tries to add one to the perks, it tries to add it twice. Sorry if that was complicated.

Essentially, by doing these three edits, your mod still works and is more compatible with others:

1.) Delete line 87    which is the </perks>   specifically the perks that is plural with an S.
2.) Deleted line 8   which is the whole <perks line.
3.) Within line 7, where it says "/progression" I added inside of that "/perks"... so it now reads <append xpath="/progression/perks">

And it is good to go! 🙂 Nice work all around! 

Thankyou for the feedback, any little tips like this are greatly appreciated!

I will have a look and make that edit, thanks again 

17 hours ago, mr.devolver said:

Nice that you did custom models, pretty nice to see for once something else than a generic glass jar lol

I don't know why, but when I saw them, I instantly remembered this:

Prince_of_Persia_1_-_MS-DOS_-_Gameplay_-

Hahaha!

Yeah I wanted to keep it on theme with the whole alchemy lore - being in the realm of natural philosophy rather than science.

I did have an idea of bringing back the combining items function, except with minerals and rare ores that are mined, with a small chance of getting gold, actual alchemy!

30 minutes ago, poly said:

I did have an idea of bringing back the combining items function, except with minerals and rare ores that are mined, with a small chance of getting gold, actual alchemy!

You know, I must admit that I do have mixed feelings about magic potions in the zombie apocalypse world, but on the other hand I admire how much extra work you've put into it and also it looks cool.

Speaking of combining items / experiments with various materials, I think it would be pretty cool and unique game mechanic, you should definitely explore that idea further. I'm thinking of advanced possibilities with research. I mean we do have that chem station in the game already, but I always found it kinda lacking compared to some other areas of the game. Perhaps we could really explore it further and expand it with more stuff and even experiments with combining various materials to find new recipes and potions that would give unique effects to the player, maybe even some negative effects if the players don't really know what they're doing and who knows, maybe you could eventually find a cure for zombies. :D

2 hours ago, mr.devolver said:

You know, I must admit that I do have mixed feelings about magic potions in the zombie apocalypse world, but on the other hand I admire how much extra work you've put into it and also it looks cool.

Speaking of combining items / experiments with various materials, I think it would be pretty cool and unique game mechanic, you should definitely explore that idea further. I'm thinking of advanced possibilities with research. I mean we do have that chem station in the game already, but I always found it kinda lacking compared to some other areas of the game. Perhaps we could really explore it further and expand it with more stuff and even experiments with combining various materials to find new recipes and potions that would give unique effects to the player, maybe even some negative effects if the players don't really know what they're doing and who knows, maybe you could eventually find a cure for zombies. :D

Yes I know what you mean I had mixed feelings about it, but thought maybe someone doing an Old West playthrough might utilize it :D

I am developing another mod simultaneously which suits an zombie apocalypse more, but still refining that one. It is essentially a Seed Bank, that a player locates (POI) and can buy a variety of rare or useful flora to restart agriculture with.

I like the idea about producing negative effects though! Similar to the mutations you can get on Fallout if you've ever played it

4 hours ago, mr.devolver said:

I mean we do have that chem station in the game already, but I always found it kinda lacking compared to some other areas of the game

I agree and I am excited to see what everyone come up with.  The vanilla chem station is very "meh" and useful for only a few things...it needs more recipes!

Hey everyone,

Just bumping this as I've just released v1.3, which is a huge update including the ability to trap and capture zombies and 10 new ores as the mod becomes more in line with Alchemy lore alongside Metallurgy, with a small Herbalism element added.

As always please report back any bugs.

No restart should be required but I always advise to make frequent backups anyway.

On 4/11/2022 at 6:04 AM, poly said:

Hi

This is server side. It adds new blocks and items.

First things first, I love this mod.

Secondly, server side mods are defined by not containing any new art assets in the mod as those types of mods must be installed client and server side simultaneously. This mod adds a variety of new assets making is a client side requirement mod.

Hello Poly,

I use and like your mod, with few changes. There is two thing I sugest to adjust:

One, is to let 10 or 20 potions/bottle fit into one invertory space. Then it become practical to use.

Second, is to increase the durations of the potions maybe 5 minutes. The one minute fly so quick in game, not really making attractive Alchemy to spend the skill points on.

Othervise I'm looking forwad to see how your mod develop in the future.

22 minutes ago, Rukminesh said:

Hello Poly,

I use and like your mod, with few changes. There is two thing I sugest to adjust:

One, is to let 10 or 20 potions/bottle fit into one invertory space. Then it become practical to use.

Second, is to increase the durations of the potions maybe 5 minutes. The one minute fly so quick in game, not really making attractive Alchemy to spend the skill points on.

Stacking defeats the purpose of racking potions doesn't it?

I can't remember if it is separate but I'd love to see learning the recipe to rack the potions be a schematic you have to hunt down. 

And I'd agree a slightly longer duration would be nice, maybe 2 or 3 minutes?

On 4/19/2022 at 12:20 AM, magejosh said:

I can't remember if it is separate but I'd love to see learning the recipe to rack the potions be a schematic you have to hunt down. 

Racking still could be used to keep more potions in one ivertory slot, like 40-50 pieces. If I think how much a Health Potion 1 can do for an advaced player on harder than normal difficulty, it is not a lot.

We use Snufkin, Robeloto, Elite, and Creature pack zombie mods on our server. Against those, players need some juice.

On 4/12/2022 at 10:39 PM, dingab88 said:

Hey, ive have just tried installing this mod on my server and get the following console error:

https://freeimage.host/i/VnJrI1

wouldn't let me add the image

Sorry for the late reply I've been on holiday!

I've had a look at the error code and tried to replicate it in my test world but I'm not getting any errors while running the latest version with no other mods installed. Not sure what is causing this!

On 4/12/2022 at 11:48 PM, magejosh said:

First things first, I love this mod.

Secondly, server side mods are defined by not containing any new art assets in the mod as those types of mods must be installed client and server side simultaneously. This mod adds a variety of new assets making is a client side requirement mod.

Thank you! That's what I meant to type, not sure why I put this!

On 4/18/2022 at 11:54 PM, Rukminesh said:

Hello Poly,

Hey there, thanks for the feedback and thanks for using the mod!

At the moment potions stack for 6, which then can be put into a rack and stacked for 5. So in effect, the max potions one inventory slot can carry is 30.

Which potions in particular were you thinking of for increasing the duration? The special potions have a very limited duration because they are way OP, e.g. temporary invincibility and invisibility. Imagine the damage you could do with 5 minutes of invincibility!
However, I may look at the ingredients and make them less of a grind in order to balance the time you get to use them.

On 4/19/2022 at 12:20 AM, magejosh said:

Yes, that was the original idea. We didn't want it to be easy to stack them. In early versions they only stacked for 1!

At the moment the racks are unlocked at 4/5 Alchemy, but can be unlocked earlier with a schematic.
The special potions can only be unlocked via a recipe in the latest version.

You can't sell individual potions at the traders, BUT can sell racks, which incentivizes creating racks in order to potion farm $$$. Considering this I may change racks to be unlocked by schematic only!

Thanks for the feedback!

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I am getting an error with the spawning.xml and gamestages.xml for the DemonicImp. It only appears when Alchemy is installed. It loads the map fine, but is there something to be of concern. Also on that side not, is it common for the spawning and gamestages.xmls not to be read because I used to see it alot when I modded 19, It's been a while and I'm trying to teach myself again.

6 hours ago, diazlee said:

Hello, can I install it on a dedicated server and a game already started with my friends? I understand that it would be to install it on clients and server. Thank you

Hi,

Yes you can install it on a dedicated server. We run ours on a dedicated server for play testing.

You will need a new game save because the mod adds back a 'wellness' style mechanic which is created when a new player joins the world.