[A20] khzmusik's Modlets

khzmusik

16 hours ago, Ganeshakw said:

I asked this because, eg. the rocket launcher dide is helpful when you decide to raid a rogue base but he starts destroying your base sometimes or can hurt other NPC companions when he is in the base when it comes to shooting. So as long as he is in the base, he can be instructed to use "Melee Only". That way, he can be kept inside the base too if required.

This has ref to "War of the Walkers series by Guns Nerd & Steel" LOL.

Gotcha. You could issue a "stay" command and have them facing a wall. NPCs are like zombie cops, if they can't see enemies they won't shoot them. It's not a perfect solution, but it's better than nothing.

3 hours ago, valorsofmen said:

hi i wanna know if u have made a npc POIs prefab that work with the npc quest u did because atm we wan play with that mod but looks lke we miss some pois for those quest reputation 

(no hide i try make your mods work with DF so far that work but not thise one 

Not yet, but I'm working on it. When I do have NPC POIs, I intend to announce them in the "Prefabs" section of the forums (since that seems appropriate), and I will link that forum post here.

I don't want to spoil anything, but other people may be working on NPC POIs as well.

Hi there, I'm a novice when it comes to modding and the like.  I've been watching the GNS WotW series and want to have play thru on my server with the additional mobs that you offer here, but the other admins and I are not keen on having the Rocket Launcher mobs spawning in and potentially creating havoc on the server (random spawned or even worse hired).  I've see in the main NPCMod forum that 'magejosh' created a modlet that disabled the rocket launcher, which I have installed, but after loading a fresh game, I was wondering round the Wasteland to come across a Psychos with a RL.  Are you able to advise how I can remove the RL from spawning in?  Thanks.

6 hours ago, Truckerwil said:

Hi there, I'm a novice when it comes to modding and the like.  I've been watching the GNS WotW series and want to have play thru on my server with the additional mobs that you offer here, but the other admins and I are not keen on having the Rocket Launcher mobs spawning in and potentially creating havoc on the server (random spawned or even worse hired).  I've see in the main NPCMod forum that 'magejosh' created a modlet that disabled the rocket launcher, which I have installed, but after loading a fresh game, I was wondering round the Wasteland to come across a Psychos with a RL.  Are you able to advise how I can remove the RL from spawning in?  Thanks.

War of the Walkers completely replaces the entity groups used to spawn entities in biomes (and wandering hordes, and blood moon hordes...). I'm pretty sure that's why Magejosh's modlet didn't work. (And in general, if you're trying to mod an overhaul - War of the Walkers, Darkness Falls, Undead Legacy, etc. - then you can't expect mods to work unless they're specifically written for that overhaul.)

WotW doesn't include my Whisperers or Rogues and Psychos NPC packs, that's all done by the GNS WarMod. So, if you want to remove rocket launcher NPCs, you need to modify the WarMod.

Look in the GNS WarMod\Z-WotW-Master\Config\entitygroups.xml file. Remove (or comment out) any entities with "RocketL" in their names.

Example - in the entitygroup named "PsychoGroup", there is an XML entity tag with the name "FemalePsychoSkinnyKhzRocketL":

<entity name="FemalePsychoSkinnyKhzRocketL" prob="0.03" />

You can either remove it, or comment it out. If you're not familiar with XML, this is what the commented-out XML tag would look like:

<!-- <entity name="FemalePsychoSkinnyKhzRocketL" prob="0.03" /> -->

You can also create your own modlet to do this, but if you've never written an XPath modlet before, it's probably easier to comment out the XML tags in the WarMod file. Keep in mind that if you update the WarMod, you'll have to do this all over again.

Note, this won't kill off any rocket launcher NPCs that are already spawned into the world, it will just prevent more from spawning in later.

EDIT: I missed that this was on a server. If you do these changes to the XML on the server, they should be pushed to clients. Clients will still have to install the modlets as well (WotW, Compo Pack for WotW, GNS WarMod), but the server should push XML changes to the client. (It won't push anything else, like POIs or images or Unity assets, which is why clients still need to install all the mods.)

Edited by khzmusik (see edit history)

@khzmusik

@xyth

Khzmusik, We have discussed this too.

Also, you too have seen the DMT Wandering Traders post mentioned in the NPC mod forum. There is absolutely no doubt about the great work you guys have done and you are doing. At the same time, if you watch the wondering traders video, you will see that their behaviour is very organized. They use melee as well as guns too. While shooting, most of the times, they take a knee and then shoot. It feels good to see those animations.

As we have discussed this already and someone else is also pointing at  it, I dared to write about it again. sorry to jump in like this.

12 hours ago, Ganeshakw said:

@khzmusik

@xyth

Khzmusik, We have discussed this too.

Also, you too have seen the DMT Wandering Traders post mentioned in the NPC mod forum. There is absolutely no doubt about the great work you guys have done and you are doing. At the same time, if you watch the wondering traders video, you will see that their behaviour is very organized. They use melee as well as guns too. While shooting, most of the times, they take a knee and then shoot. It feels good to see those animations.

As we have discussed this already and someone else is also pointing at  it, I dared to write about it again. sorry to jump in like this.

The Wandering Traders were Xyth's project, and he hasn't done them since I believe Alpha 18 (or maybe 19).

There were significant changes between A19 and A20, both in the NPC mods/modlets and in 7D2D itself. Between the two, wandering traders would have to be rebuilt from scratch. Given the A20 trader changes (e.g. identifying traders by the trader protection area in their POIs), I'm guessing that rebuilding them was so impractical as to be impossible.

But you'd honestly have to as Xyth about this. I don't have his Unity assets so I can't revive those wandering traders. He's also the one that created the Unity controller used by all NPC Core characters, and that includes the animations.

New progression update

A little while ago, I was testing a world where various NPC packs were installed. I found the NPC biome spawning experience to be severely imbalanced.

From my experience, the problems were:

• Far too many NPCs spawned. When travelling from one town to a neighboring town, I randomly encountered between five to ten NPCs (that I was aware of).
  • NPC weapon types were unbalanced. I could encounter an NPC with an M60 with the same probability of encountering an NPC with a club.
  • There was no difficulty scaling. The same NPCs spawned in the forest biome as the wasteland.

As a result, I routinely got killed before I even completed the "Whiteriver Citizen" quest (the first one to find a trader). I would invariably get chased down by a couple of NPCs that could one-shot me, when all I had was a wooden club and a bow with a couple arrows.

So I decided to fix it. Here is what I did:

• Lowered the chance of NPCs spawning. A vanilla-to-NPC spawn ratio of about 7.5:1 turns out to be about right. That meant encountering one (or rarely two) NPCs as opposed to five to ten.
  • Scaled NPCs by difficulty: wasteland > snow > desert > forest; night > day; and downtown > everywhere else. There's no chance of encountering rocket launcher NPCs until you go to a downtown area that's not in the pine forest, and even then it's very rare.
  • Each NPC pack has an equal chance of spawning overall. For example, there is an equal chance of spawning one of my Rogues and one of DarkstarDragon's Raiderz, despite the fact that my Rogues have more characters and wield a greater variety of weapons.

If you want the technical/mathematical details, read this section of the README that deals with the NPC Core characters:
https://gitlab.com/karlgiesing/7d2d-a20-modlets/-/blob/main/2-XNPCCore_khzmusik_Progression/README.md#how-probabilities-are-calculated-for-npcs

I already had one "Progression" modlet, per NPC Pack authored by someone else, which adjusted the probabilities of entities spawned into sleeper volumes. Rather than create an entirely new series of modlets, I put the fixes into the existing modlets, since they do the same thing except for biome spawns.

Since my own NPC Packs put NPCs into biome spawn groups, I also adjusted those rates to be in line with the "Progression" modlets.

Hopefully this goes without saying, but this only modifies spawning into vanilla biome spawn groups. If you're playing an overhaul that adds new ones (like War of the Walkers) then you probably won't see any difference. You'll need to make your own changes, if you haven't already.

I also fixed the Psychos' random "pain" sounds so they don't play inside the player's head. (It was an unrelated changed but it annoyed me immensely during testing.)

Hope you find these changes useful!

9 hours ago, khzmusik said:

The Wandering Traders were Xyth's project, and he hasn't done them since I believe Alpha 18 (or maybe 19).

There were significant changes between A19 and A20, both in the NPC mods/modlets and in 7D2D itself. Between the two, wandering traders would have to be rebuilt from scratch. Given the A20 trader changes (e.g. identifying traders by the trader protection area in their POIs), I'm guessing that rebuilding them was so impractical as to be impossible.

But you'd honestly have to as Xyth about this. I don't have his Unity assets so I can't revive those wandering traders. He's also the one that created the Unity controller used by all NPC Core characters, and that includes the animations.

Understood. Thanks.

On 2/4/2023 at 5:16 AM, khzmusik said:

War of the Walkers completely replaces the entity groups used to spawn entities in biomes (and wandering hordes, and blood moon hordes...). I'm pretty sure that's why Magejosh's modlet didn't work. (And in general, if you're trying to mod an overhaul - War of the Walkers, Darkness Falls, Undead Legacy, etc. - then you can't expect mods to work unless they're specifically written for that overhaul.)

WotW doesn't include my Whisperers or Rogues and Psychos NPC packs, that's all done by the GNS WarMod. So, if you want to remove rocket launcher NPCs, you need to modify the WarMod.

Look in the GNS WarMod\Z-WotW-Master\Config\entitygroups.xml file. Remove (or comment out) any entities with "RocketL" in their names.

Example - in the entitygroup named "PsychoGroup", there is an XML entity tag with the name "FemalePsychoSkinnyKhzRocketL":

<entity name="FemalePsychoSkinnyKhzRocketL" prob="0.03" />

You can either remove it, or comment it out. If you're not familiar with XML, this is what the commented-out XML tag would look like:

<!-- <entity name="FemalePsychoSkinnyKhzRocketL" prob="0.03" /> -->

You can also create your own modlet to do this, but if you've never written an XPath modlet before, it's probably easier to comment out the XML tags in the WarMod file. Keep in mind that if you update the WarMod, you'll have to do this all over again.

Note, this won't kill off any rocket launcher NPCs that are already spawned into the world, it will just prevent more from spawning in later.

EDIT: I missed that this was on a server. If you do these changes to the XML on the server, they should be pushed to clients. Clients will still have to install the modlets as well (WotW, Compo Pack for WotW, GNS WarMod), but the server should push XML changes to the client. (It won't push anything else, like POIs or images or Unity assets, which is why clients still need to install all the mods.)

Many thanks for your reply.  Ill give it a go and as it will be a fresh map, hopefully I will have captured them all and we wont see any spawning.

Hi again KHZ,

Thanks up front for a lot of fun I've had with your creations over the past few months, and your previous helpful and erudite replies.  Much to report.  I see there are some new updates? 

As usual I am getting some errors and wondering what mods work with what.  I have been ruined in a way and vanilla game is no longer satisfying after hunting bandits and rebuilding npc civilization with rescued mercenary heavily armed mute auto-sighing babes, whose most realistic if somewhat random trait is their inevitable disappearance from your life without or minimal explanation.  Fortunately , few of the encountered names intersect with set of people who have tried to ruin my life, who are left to their own devices fighting giant bears in the middle of the forest with only wooden clubs. 

Comedy and existential issues aside, here is my current list of synergistic mods on remarkably stable system 1, which throws a new error on system 2(which may be fixed when I install your new updates).  I am wondering also what else might work with this combination npc/creature/QOL-wise.  My review and bug reports are I hope some contribution to your and others efforts, as previously stated I am gearing up to be able to contribute more and learn how to do so.

000-ModManager - a++, must have add to main version should have already happened
 0-SCore - a++
 0-XNPCCore - a++

'SphereII Skip Tutorial Quests '- a++, must have add to main version should have already happened, as option
 WMMVehicleCruiseControl - a++, must have add to main version should have already happened

FpsBoost - a++, must have add to main version should have already happened 

1-khzmusik_NPC_Civilians - a++, however in new install(a20 b6 different comp) got 'failed to decompress' error after 'misc' loading stage in console, maybe already fixed
 1-khzmusik_Zombies - a++, however in new install(a20 b6 different comp) got 'failed to decompress' error after 'misc' loading stage in console, maybe already fixed

7d2d-a20-modlets-main-1-khzmusik_NPC_Civilians - a++, works perfect on old install, crashes new install idk why same version better pc
 7d2d-a20-modlets-main-1-khzmusik_NPC_Rogues_and_Psychos -crashes with blocks error about 'use faction targeting' not surprising
 7d2d-a20-modlets-main-1-khzmusik_Zombies - a++, works perfect on old install, crashes new install idk why same version better pc

(q. which mod has the raider with yellow vest and the hoodie guy and non-harley raider woman wearing halter top?, those are really fun)

1-RaiderzPack - a++, random bandits at any moment has been huge adrenaline boost esp harley's shrill and loud random utterances, however in new install(a20 b6 different comp) threw infinite redline errors in console til removed
 1-RobotzPack - in new install(a20 b6 different comp) threw infinite redline errors in console til removed, other install no errors but no robots either
 (same with spiders, mechas, and other such packs, either errors or no appearance)

BessereSpikes - Improvement over vanilla, but balance issues persist.  How fast would iron spikes be degraded by 20 humanoid zombies jumping on them? This turns out to be most critical element of base defense, and would be IMO the same IRL.  With this installed, you can almost feel the frustration of the horde zombies encountering 3 layers of them.  But if are easy to rip through as in vanilla, it simply breaks immersion as this nurse zombie in a skirt rips them apart with bare hands.
 donovan-betterspears - a++, even on day 1 a spear should be able to spike a zombie with less than 5 headshots
 donovan-longerlootbags - a++, must have add to main version should have already happened, as option.  the game already at times feel like a second job, having to rush to collect them esp after horde night just isnt fun, plus their disappearance is immersion-breaking
 donovan-morelootbags - its strange for some reason .1 drop is too low but .2 drop is too high. the soldier looks like he has all this stuff on him and zombies IRL(heaven forbid this happens) would certainly have stuff in their pockets and packs, some of the time.  The % chance is open of course to wide speculation, tomes could be written as with most zombie-lore speculation(how fast would they be? headshot only?)

gupA20-Zombies - lol this guy in the poorly fitting @%$# and the one that teleports through walls, why cant this be fixed easily?  they stand out as lower quality but vanilla simply does not have enough variants, even adding something like randomizing clothing color would improve immersion.
 ImprovedHordes - a++, must have add to main version should have already happened, fantastic addition adds ton to game and reduces level grind feel.  20 zombie dobermans, lol just run. 
 KHA20-TFPBehemoth a++, love it.  need more such, like giant spiders and other tall spooky otherworldly cryptids you might see esp. in the night fog.

'LordNCR - Better Cement' - lol OP but still an improvement.  There's some kind of multiplier on mixing that is a bit ridiculous, but vanilla cement is too grindy.same kindof applies as to spikes.  on one hand, if you can make actual rebar cement and spikes, easily, zombie defense is pretty easy too and winning feels cheap.  but if you break physics, its laughably ridiculous and dying feels cheap.  IRL we can be quite certain making cement post-zombie outbreak would be pretty pretty difficult.  But also you couldnt carry 6000 "units" of sand in your backpack...any base without idk a steam shovel and backhoe and bulldozer would probably fall easy. 

I have played a full world in Dwall's war of the walkers, and I did have fun, but the game starts to become half-sorting of obscure weapon and vehicle attachment types.  the hind helicopter(lol) was hilarious in all ways, and broken.  And his poi's are just kindof gifting you tremendous amounts of loot all the time, and generally cities dont have concrete pyramids filled with random weaponry next to shamway supermarket. But yeah the game within the game of 7d2d is the sorting game.  You have to really like having 20 cabinets and placing things in the right place, coming up with an order of sorting after you get back with a backpack full of stuff.  Which I like.  But Ive decided vanilla already has more than enough ammo types.  But it isnt COD finding every possible firearm known to man, although in some ways realistic in some parts of the country....also breaks immersion and isnt fun.  In a way, the game would either be impossible without firearms, or would maybe start to be realistic and more fun, esp. with friends, in a 'no firearms, headshot only' world.  You really wouldnt survive without teamwork and stealth and any encounter could be the last.  But I play alone, sigh, and in such cases you basically have to be a warhammer space marine.  Vanilla game in present state is a huge improvement for extending playability timeline, getting lvl 6 tier weapons and objects is almost impossible, I just got ultralight at lvl 70 and still dont have any top tier weaponry.  

Back to main question, with above list of mods, what NPC/creature packs can I and should I add?  I'm willing to try out the faction targeting but not married to idea, just having hireable and obvious enemy is pretty good for now.

Also, would the compo pack or any other added poi packs work with score and npccore plus what ive got? It is all, not surprisingly, very confusing. 

Secondary question, how could I get a training session on how to create new npc's, new npc dialogue, and ultimately quests?  Also would like to make some poi's but all tutorials i find are for pre-a20 and prev. you said there were 'gotchas.' 

I'd contribute my experiments, which are now firmly in the 'mad scientist creator and destroyer of worlds' tier, (but also rescuer of virtual maidens, i hope this helps me somewhere down the line...but idk i still just feel like it's the right thing to do), to any knowledge base of what works and what dont, but where? 

Apologies if this is a lot at once, but I think it's a contribution to the project and on re-read informative and somewhat entertaining.

But price for this game, $20?  still seems a little high lol ;)

9 hours ago, DoctorGreen said:

Hi again KHZ,

Thanks up front for a lot of fun I've had with your creations over the past few months, and your previous helpful and erudite replies.  Much to report.  I see there are some new updates? 

As usual I am getting some errors and wondering what mods work with what.  I have been ruined in a way and vanilla game is no longer satisfying after hunting bandits and rebuilding npc civilization with rescued mercenary heavily armed mute auto-sighing babes, whose most realistic if somewhat random trait is their inevitable disappearance from your life without or minimal explanation.  Fortunately , few of the encountered names intersect with set of people who have tried to ruin my life, who are left to their own devices fighting giant bears in the middle of the forest with only wooden clubs. 

Comedy and existential issues aside, here is my current list of synergistic mods on remarkably stable system 1, which throws a new error on system 2(which may be fixed when I install your new updates).  I am wondering also what else might work with this combination npc/creature/QOL-wise.  My review and bug reports are I hope some contribution to your and others efforts, as previously stated I am gearing up to be able to contribute more and learn how to do so.

000-ModManager - a++, must have add to main version should have already happened
 0-SCore - a++
 0-XNPCCore - a++

'SphereII Skip Tutorial Quests '- a++, must have add to main version should have already happened, as option
 WMMVehicleCruiseControl - a++, must have add to main version should have already happened

FpsBoost - a++, must have add to main version should have already happened 

1-khzmusik_NPC_Civilians - a++, however in new install(a20 b6 different comp) got 'failed to decompress' error after 'misc' loading stage in console, maybe already fixed
 1-khzmusik_Zombies - a++, however in new install(a20 b6 different comp) got 'failed to decompress' error after 'misc' loading stage in console, maybe already fixed

7d2d-a20-modlets-main-1-khzmusik_NPC_Civilians - a++, works perfect on old install, crashes new install idk why same version better pc
 7d2d-a20-modlets-main-1-khzmusik_NPC_Rogues_and_Psychos -crashes with blocks error about 'use faction targeting' not surprising
 7d2d-a20-modlets-main-1-khzmusik_Zombies - a++, works perfect on old install, crashes new install idk why same version better pc

(q. which mod has the raider with yellow vest and the hoodie guy and non-harley raider woman wearing halter top?, those are really fun)

1-RaiderzPack - a++, random bandits at any moment has been huge adrenaline boost esp harley's shrill and loud random utterances, however in new install(a20 b6 different comp) threw infinite redline errors in console til removed
 1-RobotzPack - in new install(a20 b6 different comp) threw infinite redline errors in console til removed, other install no errors but no robots either
 (same with spiders, mechas, and other such packs, either errors or no appearance)

BessereSpikes - Improvement over vanilla, but balance issues persist.  How fast would iron spikes be degraded by 20 humanoid zombies jumping on them? This turns out to be most critical element of base defense, and would be IMO the same IRL.  With this installed, you can almost feel the frustration of the horde zombies encountering 3 layers of them.  But if are easy to rip through as in vanilla, it simply breaks immersion as this nurse zombie in a skirt rips them apart with bare hands.
 donovan-betterspears - a++, even on day 1 a spear should be able to spike a zombie with less than 5 headshots
 donovan-longerlootbags - a++, must have add to main version should have already happened, as option.  the game already at times feel like a second job, having to rush to collect them esp after horde night just isnt fun, plus their disappearance is immersion-breaking
 donovan-morelootbags - its strange for some reason .1 drop is too low but .2 drop is too high. the soldier looks like he has all this stuff on him and zombies IRL(heaven forbid this happens) would certainly have stuff in their pockets and packs, some of the time.  The % chance is open of course to wide speculation, tomes could be written as with most zombie-lore speculation(how fast would they be? headshot only?)

gupA20-Zombies - lol this guy in the poorly fitting @%$# and the one that teleports through walls, why cant this be fixed easily?  they stand out as lower quality but vanilla simply does not have enough variants, even adding something like randomizing clothing color would improve immersion.
 ImprovedHordes - a++, must have add to main version should have already happened, fantastic addition adds ton to game and reduces level grind feel.  20 zombie dobermans, lol just run. 
 KHA20-TFPBehemoth a++, love it.  need more such, like giant spiders and other tall spooky otherworldly cryptids you might see esp. in the night fog.

'LordNCR - Better Cement' - lol OP but still an improvement.  There's some kind of multiplier on mixing that is a bit ridiculous, but vanilla cement is too grindy.same kindof applies as to spikes.  on one hand, if you can make actual rebar cement and spikes, easily, zombie defense is pretty easy too and winning feels cheap.  but if you break physics, its laughably ridiculous and dying feels cheap.  IRL we can be quite certain making cement post-zombie outbreak would be pretty pretty difficult.  But also you couldnt carry 6000 "units" of sand in your backpack...any base without idk a steam shovel and backhoe and bulldozer would probably fall easy. 

I have played a full world in Dwall's war of the walkers, and I did have fun, but the game starts to become half-sorting of obscure weapon and vehicle attachment types.  the hind helicopter(lol) was hilarious in all ways, and broken.  And his poi's are just kindof gifting you tremendous amounts of loot all the time, and generally cities dont have concrete pyramids filled with random weaponry next to shamway supermarket. But yeah the game within the game of 7d2d is the sorting game.  You have to really like having 20 cabinets and placing things in the right place, coming up with an order of sorting after you get back with a backpack full of stuff.  Which I like.  But Ive decided vanilla already has more than enough ammo types.  But it isnt COD finding every possible firearm known to man, although in some ways realistic in some parts of the country....also breaks immersion and isnt fun.  In a way, the game would either be impossible without firearms, or would maybe start to be realistic and more fun, esp. with friends, in a 'no firearms, headshot only' world.  You really wouldnt survive without teamwork and stealth and any encounter could be the last.  But I play alone, sigh, and in such cases you basically have to be a warhammer space marine.  Vanilla game in present state is a huge improvement for extending playability timeline, getting lvl 6 tier weapons and objects is almost impossible, I just got ultralight at lvl 70 and still dont have any top tier weaponry.  

Back to main question, with above list of mods, what NPC/creature packs can I and should I add?  I'm willing to try out the faction targeting but not married to idea, just having hireable and obvious enemy is pretty good for now.

Also, would the compo pack or any other added poi packs work with score and npccore plus what ive got? It is all, not surprisingly, very confusing. 

Secondary question, how could I get a training session on how to create new npc's, new npc dialogue, and ultimately quests?  Also would like to make some poi's but all tutorials i find are for pre-a20 and prev. you said there were 'gotchas.' 

I'd contribute my experiments, which are now firmly in the 'mad scientist creator and destroyer of worlds' tier, (but also rescuer of virtual maidens, i hope this helps me somewhere down the line...but idk i still just feel like it's the right thing to do), to any knowledge base of what works and what dont, but where? 

Apologies if this is a lot at once, but I think it's a contribution to the project and on re-read informative and somewhat entertaining.

But price for this game, $20?  still seems a little high lol ;)

If you want help diagnosing issues, then it's hard to do unless you supply a log file. You should upload it somewhere else, like Pastebin, and link it here (so the forum posts aren't impossible to read).

TFP give instructions here (scroll down to the "Log Files" section):
https://community.7daystodie.com/topic/3956-how-to-report-an-issue-please-read-before-creating-new-threads/

For example - there are a number of things in your post that I don't understand:

• I've never seen "failed to decompress" errors. The music.xml file is the one that loads after misc.xml, and none my packs modify that file.
  • I don't know why the Rogues ans Psychos pack would crash "with blocks error about 'use faction targeting'" since the pack doesn't even have a blocks.xml file and doesn't modify faction targeting in any way.
  • I've run all of those NPC packs you're talking about, at the same time, without any errors, so I don't know what would be causing "infinite redline errors."

There are a couple issues that I have heard about:

• Khaine's Behemoth mod is not directly compatible with NPC Mod, because both try to add exactly the same "behemoth" entry in physicsbodies.xml and that causes conflicts. Just remove the entire physicsbodies.xml file from Khaine's Behemoth mod and that should fix the issue.
  • I have heard (second-hand) that players have encountered conflicts between 000-ModManager and 0-SCore. Try removing ModManager and use SphereII's ModLauncher for installing mods, or just do it by hand.
  • One person has reported (to me directly) a lot of issues with using Khaine's ImprovedHordes in combination with other C# mods, and in particular with SCore/NPC Core. The symptom is "infinite spawns." I have no idea what the root issue is or how to solve it.
  • Remember to always start a new game when installing new mods or modlets. If you don't then there will be bugs. Many, many people fail to do this (including myself on occasion).

The "raider with yellow vest and the hoodie" is probably Pest from Darkstar Dragon's Raiderz. The "non-harley raider woman wearing halter top" could be either someone from Darkstar Dragon's RaiderGurlz, or possibly the "FemaleRogueHeavy" NPC from my Rogues and Psychos (she's on the heavy side, wears sunglasses, and her hair is long and white).

When you say "the faction targeting" it doesn't mean much, because all human NPCs use faction targeting. What you might mean is variable faction relationships - the ability of the player to gain standing with (say) the bandits faction, by killing their enemies or by doing bandit-specific quests. AFAIK the only place that happens is in my Human Faction Reputation and Quests modlet, so if you don't want that, then just don't install that modlet.

The Compo Pack is a pack of prefabs (POIs, parts, and tiles). It is not directly related to any of the mods/modlets you installed, so should be compatible. But its prefabs spawn zombies, not NPCs. You can install it, or not, and I don't think there will be any conflicts. Go to the Compo Pack thread for instructions, and they also have a Discord server linked in that thread.
https://community.7daystodie.com/topic/21900-magolis-compo-pack-by-the-compopack/

(It's probably easiest to start with the modlet version. If that's not to your liking, move on to other tools like Infinity. Also, keep in mind that overhauls like War of the Walkers, Darkness Falls, or Undead Legacy have specific POI requirements and will require specific installations of the Compo Pack.)

EDIT: If you want to know about all the "gotchas" with POI creation in A20, then it's probably best to join the Compo Pack Discord channel. there is a ton of information there.

But most of the process of POI creation has not changed since A18, so if you want to get started, then the older tutorials are still worth it. Start with this series by Not-A-Gamer Gaming:
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLH5n2ImRbHMAm2R-E78w_JegXeQC4FqgW

There is a project in the works, which will be put out by the same people as Compo Pack, which will focus on NPC POIs. But that isn't even close to being released yet, and might not be released until A21. I'm working on POIs, and will release them as soon as they're ready, but that will be on my own. (They will probably be released later when the CompoPack people release the NPC POIs, as part of that pack, but that's not set in stone.)

If you want to know how to release your own NPCs, then there are a whole bunch of links (including a Unity project and videos) in the first NPC Pack post.
https://community.7daystodie.com/topic/26974-npcmod-a-community-project/

Start there, and if you want more tutorials, watch everything on Xyth's YouTube channel.
https://www.youtube.com/c/DavidTaylorCIO/playlists

Quests are a different issue. Assuming you're talking about NPC quests, then I put something together which you can read. It mainly talks about quests to NPC POIs, but it also contains info on NPC quests in general.
https://gitlab.com/karlgiesing/7d2d-a20-modlets/-/blob/main/Notes/NPCPOIsAndQuests.md

In general, if you want to do a mod - start small, start with one thing, and focus on that. Once you get that into a form that can be released to the public, then you'll have the starting knowledge necessary to do more stuff. It is a journey, not a goal.

Hope that helps.

Yes, very helpful as usual.  And yes I was doing it wrong.  I thought I could just spin up the small premade world with different mods.  Sorry for wasting time.

So I made a few new small worlds with the same basic combinations, which basically worked but with more than few WRN about which mods weren't going to work.  I did four separate runs.  (and i like 0bin for reasons) so here,

https://pastebin.com/TYErMkt6

(site threw a fit about length of 0bin links, so they are clickable in there)

last one being basically what i'd like to get to work and play, searching for 'failed' and 'WRN' messages,

-FPSboost no modinfo so nogo, but this is my fault this is a cfg file mod not a Mod folder mod, ignore

-Guppyzombies same, but this is my fault for having nested folder, ignore

-TraderLore, sadface

-no progressions load, sad face

But game still loads and plays.  (I did notice however that it's pretty difficult to walk to the trader naked without getting ganked hard by bandits as mentioned in recent post, they are hardcore griefers getting revenge for other games where it did not go well for them)

So I hope this is more helpful(for your helping me...) actual full logs tada. I did choose to only use some of the progressions, not all, do you need to use all of them or none?   I like how some of the civilians are just hireable and some of the bandits are just enemies, but I think for instance soldier and vaultdwellers would be good factions.

Maybe some other lost zombiehunters will run across this and it will save them some trouble, dont be like me....and hopefully some entertaining tales.

Last night for some odd reason there was a bug, for first time anything like this, kinda odd, so when I got in the ultralight geared up for t5 poi clearing, even though I had not talked to any of the lady fighters gallantly sighing and defending the base, one of them decided to ride along.  When I got to the diphong tower there poor Leah was there with her spear, and I was like, this is -not- the operation to tag along on with only that spear(npcs blindly charge all zombies unless told to stay in one place...).  So I told her to wait in this closed door office room at the ground floor and make zero noise.(I mean I imagine this, idk if that is mentally healthy but whatever) 

Completed the tower, came back down, and there was a major improvedhordes attack, like hundreds charging up the stairs.  It was like horde night I was having trouble reloading, all 5(too many to in any way be realistic) guns I had were empty and I was being chased around, was close call but I prevailed. 

Then I thought uh oh what about Leah, went to her room.  There was no door.  There was no Leah, or even any remains. 

I like to think she made it out, but chances are...

On 2/14/2023 at 2:53 PM, DoctorGreen said:

Yes, very helpful as usual.  And yes I was doing it wrong.  I thought I could just spin up the small premade world with different mods.  Sorry for wasting time.

So I made a few new small worlds with the same basic combinations, which basically worked but with more than few WRN about which mods weren't going to work.  I did four separate runs.  (and i like 0bin for reasons) so here,

https://pastebin.com/TYErMkt6

(site threw a fit about length of 0bin links, so they are clickable in there)

last one being basically what i'd like to get to work and play, searching for 'failed' and 'WRN' messages,

-FPSboost no modinfo so nogo, but this is my fault this is a cfg file mod not a Mod folder mod, ignore

-Guppyzombies same, but this is my fault for having nested folder, ignore

-TraderLore, sadface

-no progressions load, sad face

But game still loads and plays.  (I did notice however that it's pretty difficult to walk to the trader naked without getting ganked hard by bandits as mentioned in recent post, they are hardcore griefers getting revenge for other games where it did not go well for them)

So I hope this is more helpful(for your helping me...) actual full logs tada. I did choose to only use some of the progressions, not all, do you need to use all of them or none?   I like how some of the civilians are just hireable and some of the bandits are just enemies, but I think for instance soldier and vaultdwellers would be good factions.

Maybe some other lost zombiehunters will run across this and it will save them some trouble, dont be like me....and hopefully some entertaining tales.

Last night for some odd reason there was a bug, for first time anything like this, kinda odd, so when I got in the ultralight geared up for t5 poi clearing, even though I had not talked to any of the lady fighters gallantly sighing and defending the base, one of them decided to ride along.  When I got to the diphong tower there poor Leah was there with her spear, and I was like, this is -not- the operation to tag along on with only that spear(npcs blindly charge all zombies unless told to stay in one place...).  So I told her to wait in this closed door office room at the ground floor and make zero noise.(I mean I imagine this, idk if that is mentally healthy but whatever) 

Completed the tower, came back down, and there was a major improvedhordes attack, like hundreds charging up the stairs.  It was like horde night I was having trouble reloading, all 5(too many to in any way be realistic) guns I had were empty and I was being chased around, was close call but I prevailed. 

Then I thought uh oh what about Leah, went to her room.  There was no door.  There was no Leah, or even any remains. 

I like to think she made it out, but chances are...

So, I've been taking time to look through the various log files you posted.

Most of your issues (possibly all of them) are caused by installing my "Progression" modlets without also installing the required NPC Packs. For example, if you don't install DarkstarDragon's "1-SoldierPack" modlet, then you shouldn't install my "2-SoldierPack_khzmusik_Progression" pack.

My "Progression" packs will try to remove the other pack's NPCs from the game's entity groups (which will fail with warnings), and then re-add them to vanilla groups. This will cause the game to throw exceptions because it can't find the NPCs, so none of the entity groups will load. That in turn causes the game to throw exceptions when trying to spawn entities from those groups... and so on.

My Trader Lore modlet will generate warnings if there are mods that alter the trader dialog UI, which NPC Core does. But the warnings are harmless and can be ignored. (My modlet tries to make the statement window bigger so that the new lore statements fit in it, but NPC Core replaces that window with their own which is already bigger.)

This info is in the first thread post, and also in the README files, so be sure you read through those first if you encounter more errors in the future. You won't have to wait for me to answer you.

Also, Guppy's zombie mod is in fact a mod that needs to go into the Mods folder. It's just that if you download it from Gitlab, it is "wrapped" inside another folder. You have to put the "gupA20-Zombies" folder directly into your Mods folder. (EDIT: That's also true if you download my mods from Gitlab.)

One final thing, I see that you're using Linux. Other people have reported issues with Unity shaders not being available on Linux. I don't think that applies to any of my NPC Packs, but it's something to watch out for.

Hi there,

Completely new with getting mods to work on a rented 7d2d server. We have War of the Walkers successfully installed and working on the server and as far as I can tell on the log files the Rogue and Psychos and Whisperers mods are loading successfully on the server along with a few other mods, but we have not encountered any rogue, psychos or whisperers in game yet. I feel like we have searched for them and haven't found anything because something isn't setup correctly. Is there a discord somewhere that someone could walk me through this for the first time? Thanks in advance!

On 2/17/2023 at 11:03 PM, ff5770 said:

Hi there,

Completely new with getting mods to work on a rented 7d2d server. We have War of the Walkers successfully installed and working on the server and as far as I can tell on the log files the Rogue and Psychos and Whisperers mods are loading successfully on the server along with a few other mods, but we have not encountered any rogue, psychos or whisperers in game yet. I feel like we have searched for them and haven't found anything because something isn't setup correctly. Is there a discord somewhere that someone could walk me through this for the first time? Thanks in advance!

My Whisperers and Rogues and Psychos packs are not part of War of the Walkers. The WotW ovehaul changes a lot of stuff (including all the entity groups used for spawning), and if you don't create a modlet that is specifically compatible with it, then usually you're out of luck.

Fortunately, Guns Nerds and Steel released a "GNS WarMod" which is available for download from his Discord server. I'm not allowed to provide a direct link to his Discord server, you will have to search for it.

EDIT: This is the mod download link he provides on his YouTube videos:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1mb7TBbNkxRRNCWUlUorVbsmcSWZE6y3B/view

And, here's his YouTube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/@GunsNerdsandSteel

38 minutes ago, Weazelsun said:

So, I wanted to see more of a specific npc I would have to make the probability chance in the entitygroup.xml higher, yes? Just want to confirm since I'm having major brainfarts today. 

Yes, that's right.

You want to do it in whichever mod is setting it. For example, if you're using one of my NPC packs, then modify the entitygroups.xml file in the NPC pack modlet itself. But if you installed 1-RaiderGurlz, and also install my 2-RaiderGurlz_khzmusik_Progression pack, you want to modify the entitygroups.xml in the Progression pack.

I also would be cautious about bumping up the values too much. A 10x bump is pretty extreme even if the raw numbers are small (like from 0.001 to 0.01). Maybe go with double the probabilities for the NPCs that you want to see more of. If that is too little than go a little higher.

Good luck!

heh, doubled the original probability chance for the npcReconMaleRocketL from 0.025 to 0.050. Encountered him in a wild west town. He ended up killing himself from his own rocket launcher. Definitely going to take me some time to fine tune the spawning to my liking, since my friend likes the whisperers and I like having the chance of encountering them.  Trying to figure out how to make it spawn organically in a way, so each faction has an equal chance to spawn. 

Right now the way I have it set up is.

Forest = Civilians, Whisperers, Soldiers, Recon Vault Dwellers.

Snow = Soldiers, Whisperers, Rogues, Civilians, Recon Vault Dwellers,

Desert = Soldiers, Whisperers, Rogues, Recon Vault Dwellers

Wasteland = Psychos, Vault Dwellers, Mechs

47 minutes ago, Weazelsun said:

heh, doubled the original probability chance for the npcReconMaleRocketL from 0.025 to 0.050. Encountered him in a wild west town. He ended up killing himself from his own rocket launcher. Definitely going to take me some time to fine tune the spawning to my liking, since my friend likes the whisperers and I like having the chance of encountering them.  Trying to figure out how to make it spawn organically in a way, so each faction has an equal chance to spawn. 

Right now the way I have it set up is.

Forest = Civilians, Whisperers, Soldiers, Recon Vault Dwellers.

Snow = Soldiers, Whisperers, Rogues, Civilians, Recon Vault Dwellers,

Desert = Soldiers, Whisperers, Rogues, Recon Vault Dwellers

Wasteland = Psychos, Vault Dwellers, Mechs

Yeah, that makes sense to me, it's similar to the way I have mine set up.

The only exception is Whisperers. Other than POIs, I have them spawn exclusively into wandering hordes. The idea is that they don't travel alone, and also that gives me a chance to spawn them by gamestage.

If you want, there are Node.js files that I use to generate the probabilities for both my packs and the "Progression" packs. If you know JavaScript it's not too difficult to tweak them by modifying a couple constants.

36 minutes ago, Weazelsun said:

Sure, are the node files already one of the downloads or is that a separate thing to acquire? I have no knowledge of javascript but I can edit xmls. Teach myself something new. 

They're in the modlets, in a "Scripts" directory. If you don't know JavaScript, or a similar C-syntax language, then I don't know if you'll find them useful, but feel free to poke around.

I just added a mod that will use Localization.txt entries to display POI names for quests. It includes Localization.txt entries for all vanilla POIs that accept quests.

Download the mod here:

https://gitlab.com/karlgiesing/7d2d-a20-modlets/-/tree/main/khzmusik_Localize_Prefabs

(It turns out the hardest part was translating the POI names, and I'm sure I didn't get it completely right.)

It required C# changes, so must be installed on clients and servers. In theory it should be save-game safe, but you never know. You might be able to load this in an existing game, but it will be safer to start a new game.

Hope this is helpful to people.