[A20] khzmusik's Modlets

khzmusik

New modlet added:

Gas Shortage

Makes gasoline scarce, and more difficult to craft.

• Gasoline cannot be harvested from vehicles. (It can still be looted from vehicles.)
  • Each oil shale yields one can of gas (not 10).
  • Stacks of gasoline hold 1000 cans (not 10,000).

...And a question for you all:

I have a few modlets that adjust the game to make the survival aspects harder and/or more "realistic." Aside from the Gas Shortage modlet, I also have the Slow Build modlet, the Bad Medicine modlet, and the Food Spoilage and Preserved Foods mod (which requires C# code).

If possible, I am going to port those to A21 (whenever that comes out). When I do, should these be combined into a single "survival" mod?

I could also combine only the mods that don't require C# if that would make people happier. Or I can just keep them separate, as they are now.

Let me know what you think.

Edited by khzmusik (see edit history)

I personally like them separate as I have interest in a few but not all.  Like the food spoilage one, but not the gas one as I have gone a different route on that.  However, I know enough that if you were to release it as a package, I can prune the elements I don’t want.

2 minutes ago, BFT2020 said:

I personally like them separate as I have interest in a few but not all.  Like the food spoilage one, but not the gas one as I have gone a different route on that.  However, I know enough that if you were to release it as a package, I can prune the elements I don’t want.

That's good to know. I figured that people who were interested in one, were probably interested in all of them. If that's not right, then I should keep them separate.

As for the gas shortage - what is the other route that you went? I looked to see if there was another modlet like it, but didn't see one.

20 minutes ago, khzmusik said:

New modlet added:

Gas Shortage

Makes gasoline scarce, and more difficult to craft.

• Gasoline cannot be harvested from vehicles. (It can still be looted from vehicles.)
  • Each oil shale yields one can of gas (not 10).
  • Stacks of gasoline hold 1000 cans (not 10,000).

...And a question for you all:

I have a few modlets that adjust the game to make the survival aspects harder and/or more "realistic." Aside from the Gas Shortage modlet, I also have the Slow Build modlet, the Bad Medicine modlet, and the Food Spoilage and Preserved Foods mod (which requires C# code).

If possible, I am going to port those to A21 (whenever that comes out). When I do, should these be combined into a single "survival" mod?

I could also combine only the mods that don't require C# if that would make people happier. Or I can just keep them separate, as they are now.

Let me know what you think.

I would prefer separate mods if it's not more trouble

2 hours ago, khzmusik said:

As for the gas shortage - what is the other route that you went? I looked to see if there was another modlet like it, but didn't see one.

• No oil shale in the world
  • Traders stock gasoline supplies
  • Gas you gather in the world from POIs and cars has to be first treated to be usable (requiring additional items like coal and cloth in the recipes).

But that was my approach as I never liked winging your way around the world, so you can't just start a journey with very little gas and just wrench / loot your way on your adventure.

I don't have a modlet for it as I realized that making small changes here and there were hard to keep balancing, so now I just rolled it into the major one I am working on.

Apologies if this has already been asked - I installed Green Zone Quest (mod) that utilizes a few of your NPC packs. Every single NPC (civilian, raider, soldier, etc.) attacks me regardless of what I do. I found a section in your read me file (below) about resetting my reputation (this does not happen when I die in game). Could you explain this a bit more in-depth? I cannot locate the commented-out code in buffs.xml to confirm my reputation is supposed to be resetting.

image.thumb.png.ee4a00c5bbd467ee63eaed6e42cf4096.png

2 hours ago, vonerich said:

Apologies if this has already been asked - I installed Green Zone Quest (mod) that utilizes a few of your NPC packs. Every single NPC (civilian, raider, soldier, etc.) attacks me regardless of what I do. I found a section in your read me file (below) about resetting my reputation (this does not happen when I die in game). Could you explain this a bit more in-depth? I cannot locate the commented-out code in buffs.xml to confirm my reputation is supposed to be resetting.

image.thumb.png.ee4a00c5bbd467ee63eaed6e42cf4096.png

The "Reset Reputation On Death" feature is part of my Human Faction Reputation and Quests modlet, which is not part of the Green Zone Quest mod. You would need to install my modlet, and then uncomment the code in that modlet.

But that probably won't solve your problem.

Others have asked about that same thing happening, and in all those cases, the user didn't start a new game after installing the NPC Core mod (which is part of the Green Zone Quest mod). That won't work. You must start a new game after installing it.

The tl;dr version is that adding factions to the game screws up game saves.

The long version: Here's what I believe is happening.

To make variable faction relationships work with individual players, TFP made it so each player has their own faction. In the game's C# code, factions are kept in an array. The faction ID of all entities, including players, is the index of their faction in this array. That faction ID is saved with the game.

When the game restarts, it reloads the factions from the XML files and puts them in this array. So when factions are added to the game - as NPC Core does - new factions (like, say, "whisperers") will now be in the places where, previously, there was the ID of a player. When the game loads the player ID, the player no longer has their own faction, they're using one of the added ones.

EDIT: Since you mentioned the Green Zone, I went to that thread and alerted people about it. I don't think that mod author knew about the issue. (Their own XML is save-game safe, so they probably thought NPC Core was too.)

Here's an unusual modlet that some of you might be interested in.

No Crafting

Removes all crafting from the game. This includes cooking, so farming is also removed.

This mod was inspired by the Lucky Looter series from Glock9.

Features:

• The only items the player can craft are the bedroll and land claim.
  • Removed all Basics of Survival quests except for crafting a bedroll. (After completion, players still get the skill points and Whiteriver Citizen quest.)
  • Most player-crafted workstations are removed from the game (destroyed versions are still in game). The exception is campfires, which cannot be crafted, but can be used for warmth if found in the wild.
  • Reworked perks:
    • Crafting recipes and bonuses are removed from all perks.
    • Master Chef, Living Off The Land, and Grease Monkey are removed completely.
  • Schematics, workstations, recipes, and parts for assembled weapons, tools, and vehicles are removed from loot containers, trader stashes, quest rewards, and Twitch actions.
  • Removed perk books that only give crafting recipes (e.g. Needle and Thread books). Completion bonuses that only unlock recipes (e.g. stacks of ammo) now give experience buffs instead.
  • Items or mods which could only be crafted (e.g. Fireman's Helmet) are added to loot containers and trader stashes.
  • Crafting-related loading screen tips are removed.
  • Localizations are updated to remove any mention of crafting, cooking, or forging (where possible, I'm sure I missed a lot).

Repo: https://gitlab.com/karlgiesing/7d2d-a20-modlets/-/tree/main/khzmusik_No_Crafting 

Download: https://gitlab.com/karlgiesing/7d2d-a20-modlets/-/archive/main/7d2d-a20-modlets-main.zip?path=khzmusik_No_Crafting

I might make a variation of this modlet, which keeps cooking and farming in the game.

• 3 weeks later...

I just pushed a minor update to the Faction Reputation and Quests modlet. It fixes a few bugs and adds a new feature which I think people will like.

• NPC "steal" (fetch) quests now use a new SCore SetRevengeTargetsSDX action, so NPCs will attack the player when they take the satchel. This means "steal" quests will be a challenge, even if they go to "friendly" POIs.
  • Added custom quest items (supplies) for "steal" quests, including separate translations.
  • Removed non-existent military "murder" quests from trader quest list to avoid NREs (these were commented out, but still).
  • Quests now provide probabilities rather than re-adding the same vanilla quests for balance. (I previously, and wrongly, thought that quest lists did not support probabilities.)

Please note, this version requires the latest version of SCore (20.6.471.1518 as of this writing).

Not only does the latest SCore contain the SetRevengeTargetsSDX action, but it also fixes a bug with the RandomTaggedPOIGotoSDX objective - for whatever reason, the code to check the POI quest tags (fetch, clear, etc.) was commented out.

Repo: https://gitlab.com/karlgiesing/7d2d-a20-modlets/-/tree/main/1-khzmusik_Human_Factions_Reputation_Quests

D/L: https://gitlab.com/karlgiesing/7d2d-a20-modlets/-/archive/main/7d2d-a20-modlets-main.zip?path=1-khzmusik_Human_Factions_Reputation_Quests

1 hour ago, bdubyah said:

That's cool to know quests can use probs. Need to add that to some of mine so they aren't quite so common.

Well, don't get your hopes up. :) Unlike the randomization algorithm for entities spawned into entity groups, the probabilities in quests are not normalized. It's a simple roll of the dice: the game picks a quest at random, gets its "prob" value, and if some random number is below that value, the quest is accepted. It doesn't care about the other quests in the quest list or their probabilities.

I actually wrote a couple of Monte Carlo simulations of the different probabilities, to record how often the non-vanilla quests were presented vs. the vanilla quests. And even after doing that I still had to tweak the probabilities from what the Monte Carlo simulations gave me.

My advice: for a first pass, treat them as if all of your quests should have probability values that add up to 1. You'll need to tweak them but it's a good baseline.

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, GGMS said:

Hello.
Any chance you will update Mostly Dead for A21 soon? 

I'm actually working on something else today (involving dew collectors, which I think people will like) - but Mostly Dead is a high priority. (Khaine might also revive his permadeath mod, still working that out.)

I am hoping to have it finished before A21 goes stable. I would also like to have the Food Spoilage mod ready by then, assuming SCore is ready, and as many of then non-C# modlets as I can port over.

Also, just FYI, I was told that TFP generally consider it rude to post mods during experimental. So I will not be starting a new thread until then. But I hope to have the new thread as soon as possible after stable drops.

25 minutes ago, khzmusik said:

I'm actually working on something else today (involving dew collectors, which I think people will like) - but Mostly Dead is a high priority. (Khaine might also revive his permadeath mod, still working that out.)

I am hoping to have it finished before A21 goes stable. I would also like to have the Food Spoilage mod ready by then, assuming SCore is ready, and as many of then non-C# modlets as I can port over.

Also, just FYI, I was told that TFP generally consider it rude to post mods during experimental. So I will not be starting a new thread until then. But I hope to have the new thread as soon as possible after stable drops.

I understand, thanks for the info! We will wait. 
All the best to you

Regarding the "Mostly Dead" modlet. Do you actually play the "mostly dead" style or do you mainly play with the "permadeath" add-on?

I ask because I'm wondering how I should handle crafting skills. For the "permadeath" add-on, it's obvious (get rid of them).

But I don't know how "mostly dead" should handle it. Unlike skill points, the player can't voluntarily re-spec from a pool of "crafting points."

I had a couple of thoughts:

• Write code that re-assigns the points randomly.
  • Same as above, but keep the crafting points for some (like workstations and vehicles). 
  • Remove the points, but give the players bundles of crafting magazines (similar to those you get at the trader). This would be a PITA for the player (repeatedly clicking on 50+ books) but at least it would be somewhat voluntary.

Right now, without any changes to the A20 code, the crafting skills are not changed at all. When higher-level players are granted starting bundles (for ranged weapons, armor, etc.) those bundles come with three related crafting magazines. (This is because they are vanilla bundles.)

What do you all think? Keep them, or go with one of the other options? Something else?

1 hour ago, GGMS said:

I like the idea of permadeath, pure hardcore is what i'm looking for, so i try to plan my gameplay around this.

Well, the good news is that permadeath is a lot easier to pull off than "mostly dead," and from what I tested today it will certainly be ready as soon as A21 is stable.

If I can't find (or decide on) a solution to the crafting skills, then for "mostly dead" I'll probably just leave it as it is now, so they aren't changed. (They are removed in permadeath of course.)

I like the random reassignment of crafting skill points for the Mostly Dead playstyle. Player still has perk points to assign to guide crafting skill book finds towards what they want, but are effectively a random generated character at that point.

Now that A21 is stable, I can finally release the updated versions of my modlets.

The new thread is here:

I have not yet started updating the NPC packs or related modlets, but that is next on my TODO list.

Talk to y'all there!

• 5 months later...
On 12/13/2023 at 1:23 PM, Ricky0924 said:

Will the Psychos and Rouges be updated to A21 anytime? I love using those npcs but they haven't worked in A21 for me.

That's what I'm working on right now. I had hoped to release them before now, but life got in the way.

I'm basically working out a few bugs I caught with some of the models, and tweaking the spawn probabilities. My goal is to release this weekend.