Game Stage with Multiplayer

Sjustus548

So I had a question regarding game stage with multiplayers.  I'm hosting the game and my wife joins my game and we group up together.  I've noticed we have different game stages listed and I didn't know which one was the correct one.  I would guess mine is since I'm hosting the world but that doesn't make sense if it is.  So mine shows I have a game stage of 88 and my wife is 94.  Hers shows mine is 96 and hers is 94.  I have around 450 more zombie kills than her, 3 less deaths, and am currently 2 levels higher than her.  So it wouldn't make sense that my game stage would be lower than hers.  It's not a big deal or anything I was just curious about it.

Hmm, that is odd. The gamestage calculation is in gamestages.xml if you want to sort out what you should show. You might also check the console command 'gamestage' to see if it differs from that the multiplayer list shows.

Your group gamestage (determines strength of enemies), assuming the 96 & 94 values are correct, ought to be 141. Also from the calc given in gamestages.xml.

This is how the gamestage of a PARTY is calculated:
The gamestage of all (up to) 6 players is calculated.
The players are sorted by gamestage.

The highest GS number is multiplied by "startingWeight". (currently 1.0 by default)
This then loops down the list and "startingWeight" is multiplied by "diminishingReturns" every time. (currently 0.5 by default)

So 96 + (0.5 * 94) = 141.

Was your wife in a different biome or in a city POI when you checked?  Nowadays gamestage is influenced by position as well. 

And as soon as you are teamed up and in the same place you might get a combined gamestage (but I could be wrong here and only the separate value lootstage does this)

I would suggest you both go to a separate place somewhere in the open forest and check out your gamestage at the same time. If you still see her having a better gamestage then it is time to worry 😉

15 minutes ago, meganoth said:

Nowadays gamestage is influenced by position as well. 

Are you sure about this ?

I made a quick test. In the open forrest my gamestage is 283 and in the winter biome a few meters away it is still the same. Also driving into the winter biome city does not change my gamestage at all. My lootstage on the other hand is 141 in the open forrest, 307 in the winter biome and 317 in the winter biome city.

Edited by RipClaw (see edit history)

49 minutes ago, RipClaw said:

Are you sure about this ?

I made a quick test. In the open forrest my gamestage is 283 and in the winter biome a few meters away it is still the same. Also driving into the winter biome city does not change my gamestage at all. My lootstage on the other hand is 141 in the open forrest, 307 in the winter biome and 317 in the winter biome city.

If gamestage didn't change with biome how should more dangerous zombies spawn there? Maybe the shown gamestage doesn't change but the effective one should

But I'll do a test now.

Edited by meganoth (see edit history)

30 minutes ago, meganoth said:

Well, if gamestage didn't change with biome how should more dangerous zombies spawn there?

I looked at the spawn.xml.  Depending on the biome, different zombie groups are spawned with different respawn delay and in different quantity. For the Wasteland there is a separate group of zombies.The green biome, the desert and the winter biome share the most groups.

This doesn't seem to affect the Sleeper Zombies, though. If there is a difference it is not shown in the XML files but hard coded.

30 minutes ago, meganoth said:

Maybe the shown gamestage doesn't change but the effective one should

That is possible but I have not idea how to display the effective gamestage. The gamestage command in the console only shows me the same that is also shown in the UI.

Edited by RipClaw (see edit history)

9 minutes ago, RipClaw said:

I looked at the spawn.xml.  Depending on the biome, different zombie groups are spawned with different respawn delay and in different quantity. For the Wasteland there is a separate group of zombies.The green biome, the desert and the winter biome share the most groups.

This doesn't seem to affect the Sleeper Zombies, though. If there is a difference it is not shown in the XML files but hard coded.

That is possible but I have not idea how to get the effective gamestage. The gamestage command in the console only shows me the same that is also shown in the UI.

I couldn't see any change to gamestage myself. Anyway, even if there were an "effective gamestage" that wasn't shown it would not explain what the OP is seeing.

If I don't forget I'll check the gamestage phenomenon in a MP game tonight.

Edited by meganoth (see edit history)

On 1/16/2022 at 8:56 AM, RipClaw said:

I looked at the spawn.xml.  Depending on the biome, different zombie groups are spawned with different respawn delay and in different quantity.

I think this is the correct answer as to why harder zombies spawn in harder biomes. The spawn groups are different, not the player's gamestage.