When a map is generated are resource deposits random?

Brian9824

I know at least in Alpha 19 (I haven't tried in A20) the surface nodes on a map would be different every new game you started on a map (I had a map that I really liked that I used 4-5 times.)  Not sure if the underground resources were the same (never bothered to check.)

I heard from someone who wasnt 100% sure that it follows Deco RNG which is derived from save game name, so i think i'll have to make a few maps tonight with the same seed and save name and test it.  I can post the seed and save name here with a few coords of nodes if anyone wants to check and confirm on their end 

I've tested same seed, different save name, and the nodes (and surface decorations) were all different. I'll start a new save with the same name as Test #1 and see what happens.

Okay done. Seed name is "oretest" and the Test 1 save name was "A20 OreTest1".

Test 1:

image.png.f6617fff91e1763186fd4f8ffc412dfe.png

Test 2 (new RWG, same seed, different savegame name):

image.png.5e39793638d1c043cdd46d8439d9d928.png

Test 3: Same RWG as Test 2, same save name as Test 1 (results identical to Test 1)

image.png.f6617fff91e1763186fd4f8ffc412dfe.png

Edited by Boidster (see edit history)

Just further confirming. This is what's in the server config xml...

<property name="GameName"                        value="My Game"/>            <!-- Whatever you want the game name to be. This affects the save game name as well as the seed used when placing decoration (trees etc) in the world. It does not control the generic layout of the world if creating an RWG world -->