Fireaxes as a weapon

Hameshy

Yo!

As is described, Miner'69 increase the damage of the Fireaxes by 10, 20, 30.. etc.. And block damage as well.

That raw damage (10, 20...) is applied to combat, right?

I will not have the pluses of the clubs and knives but the fireaxes with 5 Miners can be pretty decent, or i am wrong? 

They're perfectly fine as a melee weapon.. as a little added side benefit, it seems the axes will often have a double hit, with what I assume is a glancing blow landing first. Not a big deal an sich, but if it happens to land a stun, the primary hit will deal increased damage.

46 minutes ago, Hameshy said:

Yo!

As is described, Miner'69 increase the damage of the Fireaxes by 10, 20, 30.. etc.. And block damage as well.

That raw damage (10, 20...) is applied to combat, right?

I will not have the pluses of the clubs and knives but the fireaxes with 5 Miners can be pretty decent, or i am wrong? 

Yes.  I fact @dcsobral is doing a playthrough now using axes and is doing quite well in the snow biome.

• 3 weeks later...

Time flies, this was three weeks ago..? Anyway, I ended up doing a bit of themed playthru with an axe, figured I'd share some of it. Overall it's all right, but can't really compete with any of the non-spear weapons in the game.

Warrior difficulty, feral sense always, pretty much default otherwise - so, pretty chill all around.

Made myself a Q5 Iron axe on day 3, ended up using that as my main weapon up to day 25. Mostly because I didn't really get transportation before that, I just chose not to build any. That meant that the loot levels were tied to my origin base in the forest and thus no Steel tools until post-motorbike.

Once I got a Steel Axe (q4, looted in a snowy SM factory), I also got a Steel Sledgehammer (q6, quest reward). I gave them both a shake for the sake of comparison, the sledge without skill points wins hands down; similar speed, double the damage and thus a lot more control and whatnot.

Armored Radiateds were not a pleasant fight even 1v1 on flat terrain. Doable, but pretty much guaranteed taking of heavy damage. Timing is key, but even landed blows won't always give you enough room to dodge the next attack.

Bunkered down in a book-house, made some holes in the garage walls to fight hordes out of; couldn't really keep up with the damage output with the axes. The first horde, maybe, but ended up using mostly boomers and some AR:s for the rest, with a little help from a robo turret.

Overall, for questing and such, it's fine; you might have to cheese at doorways a little more compared to actual weapons, and the difference is significant enough to sacrifice that single toolbelt slot. But if you really really want to get into mining ASAP at the cost of everything else, it's definitely usable until you gather enough extra skill points for a good Baseball bat.