Game crashes to desktop while playing.

moonbasenick

I'm able to load up and play the game just fine for about 30min maybe an hour.  I experience no other issues expect for at any given moment, the game will freeze  and then it crashes to the desktop.  No error popups, nothing.  I've never had this issue with A19, I HOPE that it's just an issue with Experimental.   I know my PC is a little long in the tooth, but like I said, the game does play A20 just fine until it doesn't. 

I'm running a Intel i-5 -4690K @ 3.50GHZ

16 GB of RAM

AMD Radeon R9 390 Series with 8GB DDR5

4 hours ago, Star69 said:

We need to see your log containing the crash in order to help. Post your log containing the crash using pastebin.

https://pastebin.com/fdYyixSJ

After digging around in Event Viewer, I also fond this issue. 

Windows successfully diagnosed a low virtual memory condition. The following programs consumed the most virtual memory: 7DaysToDie.exe (928) consumed 13385015296 bytes, steamwebhelper.exe (10108) consumed 311353344 bytes, and MsMpEng.exe (2388) consumed 256884736 bytes.

Edited by moonbasenick (see edit history)

Did you change how big your pagefile is? Should have it set to let Windows manage it. 16 gigs of ram should be plenty to run the game. Also be sure that you have the latest version of Windows Visual C Distributables. Several crashes in A20 have been due to having an outdated version.

Running out of pagefile isn't an issue unless you don't have enough ram to cover it (which you don't, so it's good you have it enabled, but 13GB of pagefile is a bit extreme... you might have junk running in the background clogging up some things). I myself often disable page file completely as it wears out the SSD much faster. A lot of ppl with an abundance of ram don't need it in order to play and enjoy the game like anyone else.

Are you a Windows 10 user?

4 hours ago, Theodryck said:

I've also been having a really hard time playing since I switched to Alpha 20.  I can barely play for even a few minutes before my HD goes nuts; running and running so that my computer is essentially locked up and I have to do a hard reset.  I am running on Linux Ubuntu, however. 

My Box specs are - NVIDIA GTX 1650 Super graphics card

Intel I5 3470 Quad Core 3.2 GHz

8 Gigs DDR 3 RAM

I've got all my Steam games on a 240 gb Western Digital SSD

OS is Kubuntu 20.04 64 bit

I've not had any issues with stability until now.  Here's a copy of my last log file. 

https://pastebin.com/jqTgySz9

I don't see anything that really stand out.  But again, I'm no expert on 7DTD logs.  I have tried several fixes, though.  I've tried switching to the Linux native version, I've switched versions of Proton, I've tried to force DirectX 10 (Proton versions only, obviously).  I've used the clear everything option under Tools on the launcher menu.  I've even uninstalled and reinstalled the game from scratch to see if a fresh copy would help.  So far, nothing. It's pretty much unplayable for me at this point.  I understand that it's an experimental build and there's going to be some hiccups along the way, but I've waited a year and a half for A20.  I sure would like to at least make it to the first horde night.

Your issue is probably unrelated to the original post and therefore you should create your own topic. My guess for you (without looking at logs) is your 8GB of ram being on the edge of minimum specs for this current version of the game. Also, does Linux even have page file feature?

Edited by Fox
clarification (see edit history)

39 minutes ago, Fox said:

I myself often disable page file completely as it wears out the SSD much faster.

This is a Myth. Unless you're running an old Samsung 840 on old firmware, your pagefile is not going to significantly affect the life or performance of your SSD.

Unity expects to see a pagefile/swap of at least 8GB. Even though it may never use it, it can crash the client by not having one.

49 minutes ago, Fox said:

Running out of pagefile isn't an issue unless you don't have enough ram to cover it (which you don't, so it's good you have it enabled, but 13GB of pagefile is a bit extreme... you might have junk running in the background clogging up some things). I myself often disable page file completely as it wears out the SSD much faster. You don't need it in order to play and enjoy the game like anyone else. You just need enough ram. Are you a Windows 10 user?

Your issue is probably unrelated to the original post and therefore you should create your own topic. My guess for you (without looking at logs) is your 8GB of ram being on the edge of minimum specs for this current version of the game. Also, does Linux even have page file feature?

Yes, I'm using Windows 10. 

Either disable some software running in the background or increase your page file. The other standard stuff like scan for malware, clean out temp files, checking for corrupt system files, etc are things you can do. I don't see 7 Days consistently take that much memory except after generating a new map. If you generate a new map, you should always exit the game then restart. Heck, I reboot my system to be sure the ram is cleared.

2 hours ago, Star69 said:

Did you change how big your pagefile is? Should have it set to let Windows manage it. 16 gigs of ram should be plenty to run the game. Also be sure that you have the latest version of Windows Visual C Distributables. Several crashes in A20 have been due to having an outdated version.

I never touched pagefile but I did go in and selected for Windows to manage it.  It also appears that I have the latest version of Visual C.  Fingers crossed that this helps! 

1 hour ago, Fox said:

Running out of pagefile isn't an issue unless you don't have enough ram to cover it (which you don't, so it's good you have it enabled, but 13GB of pagefile is a bit extreme... you might have junk running in the background clogging up some things). I myself often disable page file completely as it wears out the SSD much faster. You don't need it in order to play and enjoy the game like anyone else. You just need enough ram. Are you a Windows 10 user?

No, Linux doesn't have pagefile.  It uses swap which is similar.  As far as RAM goes, I have plenty.  I can easily run the game at 100+ fps under normal circumstances and with all the bells and whistles turned on.  The reason I didn't create my own thread is because Roland had a habit of moving threads I create into other existing posts.  I figured the same thing would happen here as well.  Since the topic was crashes in A20, I thought it should be relevant.  But I do appreciate the response.  If I need to create my own thread, then I will do so.

Edited by Theodryck (see edit history)

6 hours ago, SylenThunder said:

This is a Myth. Unless you're running an old Samsung 840 on old firmware, your pagefile is not going to significantly affect the life or performance of your SSD.

Unity expects to see a pagefile/swap of at least 8GB. Even though it may never use it, it can crash the client by not having one.

All the tech channels on Youtube claim that SSDs have a limited number of writes before failing suddenly. While that number is really high and average users aren't likely to ever reach that number, pagefile feature constantly writes and re-writes, just like ram... for me, it's just not worth it as I tend to use things for 10+ years whenever I can. Besides, ram is much faster and I have 32GB of it... so why not use it? And I haven't seen a crash since Alpha 3 during the vertices limit issue. Crashes may occur if you run out of ram and pagefile is disabled, yes (even though it's not supposed to)... but otherwise, no (at least not for me).

6 hours ago, moonbasenick said:

Yes, I'm using Windows 10. 

Good. That's one less thing to think about. When was the last time you did a free "memtest86"? Ram issues can do a multitude of things from crash to desktop as though you closed it and all is fine, or BSOD, or boot failure, etc. Always good to test it once in a while as dirt does get in between the contacts which causes random issues too.

Edited by Fox (see edit history)

On 12/12/2021 at 8:10 PM, Star69 said:

UPDATE! Setting my pagefile to let WIndows manage has fixed my issue!   Thank you very much for the help!