Are Grow Times For Crops Longer In A20?

Paiper Zombee

An update to this topic. We're also noticing that the crops aren't growing at the same rate even if they're all planted at the same time. A section of the plants will always fall behind the others and take an additional 60 minutes (beyond the original 120) to go from "growing" to complete. Then, there will always be one plant out of the entire group that will fall so far behind it will stay as a seed for the initial 120 minutes and the extra 60 minutes that it takes for the left behind crops to catch up. Only after the left behind crops finish growing does this last plant move into the growing stage.

I'm going to assume that because nobody else has responded to this topic, that what's happening to us is an isolated incident. So hopefully this topic is in the right place to report an issue/bug. We're really trying to be in support of the new Farming system, but so far its not winning any votes. Is this situation happening to anyone else in their MP games or is it just us and we need to reset the server?

22 minutes ago, ElCabong said:

I too have noticed that the grow rate is different. I planted a potato and a pumpkin at the same time and the potato was done the next day, the pumpkin was done the day after. 

I'm not sure if pumpkins take longer or if it's some sort of random thing. 

There was a bug I frequently experienced in A19 where every harvest some random crops would grow slower than others - sometimes by 1 or even 2 days. The next growth cycle after the harvest, some/most/all of them would grow at regular rates. Perhaps this has carried over to A20?

1 hour ago, MechanicalLens said:

There was a bug I frequently experienced in A19 where every harvest some random crops would grow slower than others - sometimes by 1 or even 2 days. The next growth cycle after the harvest, some/most/all of them would grow at regular rates. Perhaps this has carried over to A20?

Yes it could be. I had that happen too

I'm in charge of the crops for our team, and I've seen no lag in growing as long as I plant them all at nearly the same time, are you planting some during the day and then dusk or night?

Do the crops have unrestricted sunlight?  I built my farm on the south side of our base so it would have plenty of sun.

30 minutes ago, Darthjake said:

I'm in charge of the crops for our team, and I've seen no lag in growing as long as I plant them all at nearly the same time, are you planting some during the day and then dusk or night?

Do the crops have unrestricted sunlight?  I built my farm on the south side of our base so it would have plenty of sun.

I planted the pumpkin and potato at the same time on top of my base. I use the roof for my farm. Nothing is restricting the sunlight. I don't recall when I planted them except that the potato finished growing first and the pumpkin was finished the next day.

I couldn't make seed for either one at that time and haven't been able to reproduce it. Now I can make pumpkin seeds but I don't have enough pumpkin. 

On 12/12/2021 at 6:16 PM, Darthjake said:

Hello crop team rep!

Just like the post above me I planted all of the crops at the same time. All had unrestricted access to sunlight as they're located on the third floor of our homebase which has plenty of windows to the side and skylighting (glass blocks) in the ceiling so the sun can shine through. One thing I have noticed is that if I log out near the crops when I log back in the problem happens. However, if I log out away from the crops, like down on the first or basement floors of our homebase, or away from the base, the crops grow just fine and on time. 

Also, as an additional question, is the 50% return supposed to work on all or just some plants? I run 100 plants at a time and have noticed that harvesting certain crops (like corn) will correctly apply the 50% return and I walk away with 50 seeds. But with other crops like potatoes and pumpkins, it will not correctly apply the 50% return and I walk away with 30 seeds out of 100 plants.

Edited by Paiper Zombee
Added 50% question. (see edit history)

2 hours ago, Paiper Zombee said:

Hello crop team rep!

Just like the post above me I planted all of the crops at the same time. All had unrestricted access to sunlight as they're located on the third floor of our homebase which has plenty of windows to the side and skylighting (glass blocks) in the ceiling so the sun can shine through. One thing I have noticed is that if I log out near the crops when I log back in the problem happens. However, if I log out away from the crops, like down on the first or basement floors of our homebase, or away from the base, the crops grow just fine and on time. 

Also, as an additional question, is the 50% return supposed to work on all or just some plants? I run 100 plants at a time and have noticed that harvesting certain crops (like corn) will correctly apply the 50% return and I walk away with 50 seeds. But with other crops like potatoes and pumpkins, it will not correctly apply the 50% return and I walk away with 30 seeds out of 100 plants.

Well Dang, I feel like a bit of an amateur, I run about 40 crops, and yeah some like corn I get most of my seeds back, but potatoes, coffee, yucca and blueberry are a  bit lackluster for seed return.

On 12/16/2021 at 1:19 PM, Darthjake said:

Well Dang, I feel like a bit of an amateur, I run about 40 crops, and yeah some like corn I get most of my seeds back, but potatoes, coffee, yucca and blueberry are a  bit lackluster for seed return.

Don't feel like an amateur at all. There's about 4-6 of us on our server so lots of hungry mouths to feed. But it's good to know that it not just me that's noticing this. Hopefully this will be fixed because even though I resisted it at first, the farming overhaul is not turning out to be too bad.

Farming, for whatever reason, has been made worse. Noticeably so, and it wasn't great before.

Just a huge shame as a properly implemented system has such potential to affect both the progression of the player, and their gameplay, for the better.

I did have some issues at first with the farming changes, and I admit, i was very accustomed to the previous system of Step 1,  create farm plots  Step 2 plant seeds,  Step 3 return in two days to reap harvest.  But I must admit,  having the variable factor does seem to play into the uncertainty of the post apocalypse world..  After the update by TFP last week,  I might not be getting a completely predictable harvest,  but I am getting enough to survive with more than just grilled meat or bacon and eggs.  This is not to say that its not harder to manage when using a server with several people playing.  But I am satisfied with things until I reach LOTL Level 3,  when I feel that farming will stay plentiful enough to keep our little quartet of players decently fed.  I did notice an occasional slight variable in crop ripening time in A19 also,  but so far I'm not really seeing that in Alpha 20,  but thats probably due to my habit of planting,  wait two days and then check for plants to be ready.