A solution to almost every "problem" with A20

Lasher

So, there seems to be an awful lot of folk who are unhappy about certain mechanics in A20 - the loot progression, the animal spawns, the food and hunger issues and especially the fact that crops now don't leave the seed when harvested.

It seems to me like this has been going on for a very long time and many are complaining that the Pimps are constantly making things either too easy, or way too hard.

Surely the solution to all these problems are OPTIONS.

If we had sliders to adjust hunger and hydration rates (which I believe has been asked for on many occasion, but never delivered), sliders for loot spawn, animal spawn, ammo availability and an option to set if crops remain on harvesting - then surely everyone can then set the game up exactly how THEY want to play it.

This kind of system is now already in place with  the map generation - don't like mountains? Then they don't have to appear.

This is supposed to be FUN - an enjoyable experience - so instead of everyone shouting thier opinions and sparring over which way everything should work how about

we all add out voices to asking TFP to give us more choice in the options.

That way everyone gets to play the game they want and everyone is happy.

I'm all for settings, but if they're coming, they'll be coming in a beta patch or later. Settings are a development nightmare - it's easy to say "just test with one set and be done with it", but then nothing works properly unless you use a predetermined combination. Or you have to put real effort into balancing the settings.

I would love to see an external tool to edit the current xml:s in a proper UI though, that would give people a lot of freedoms with the existing game

Edited by theFlu (see edit history)

Easily solvable. TFP set the setting exactly how they want them to be but give us a nice "play with this at your own risk" tab where we can edit settings.

It's no harder than changing a hard coded value into a variable and connecting it to a setting in the preferences.

I remember enquiring about having hunger settings for servers many years ago - it was talked about but just never put in place.

After a while it can turn from a healthy conversation into what starts to look like an attitude of "It's our game you bought so you'll play it our way" - which is fine but doesn't win you customers

If they implemented a system like this far from being a "development nightmare" it would stop an awful lot of people complaing about various apsects of the game being continually balanced and re-balanced over and over.

More choice can't hurt.

12 minutes ago, Lasher said:

If they implemented a system like this far from being a "development nightmare" it would stop an awful lot of people complaing about various apsects of the game being continually balanced and re-balanced over and over.

More choice can't hurt.

I take it you're not a dev :) .. and while the internet might become a quieter place, the devs would lose precious feedback - they Do want to deliver a good experience as the default, but if they won't even know how people are playing it...

Already some of the complaints about food turn into "how long days are you using", "are you wearing heavy armor" "were you wounded" ... adding "have you changed this setting" x N isn't going to reduce that.

But again, I'd love it if someone implemented "settings as a tool", to exploit the full power of the current xml:s .. kinda like a mod-generator. Should be able to solve a whole lot while taking the burden off of the pimps.

Edited by theFlu (see edit history)

Funnily enough I've been programming since I was about 11 - and i'm 52 now - so I have a very good grasp of exactly how software development functions.

Wouldn't kill them to give us options - and that's all I'm asking for - same stuff as we got for the terrain gen.

Once a person clicks the play button, a copy of the settings and a date-time stamp are sent to TFP HQ.  When the person logs out, another copy sent with another date-time stamp.

This would show what settings people play longer with, amongst other things.  No personal data is needed.

On 12/10/2021 at 1:27 PM, Lasher said:

Funnily enough I've been programming since I was about 11 - and i'm 52 now - so I have a very good grasp of exactly how software development functions.

Wouldn't kill them to give us options - and that's all I'm asking for - same stuff as we got for the terrain gen.

What you're not seeing is that because this software is still in alpha there are still a lot of changes happening under the hood.  So, every option they add now essentially adds more overhead to maintain as they release each new version and potentially change things under the hood.

Don't get me wrong, I want options too.  But truth is that we have options, they're just harder to get at through the XML.