Setting restricted due to low amount of ram.

Mrjohn1337

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...

There was a good reason this was done, exceeding vram by a lot can lead to a lot of stuttering issues if it doesn't cause crashes (also can cause imposter blocks to not unload for a long period of time iirc). Optimizations are being worked on as we go which may help. You can try using some of the Nvidia texture settings to see if you can get a better quality there, not sure what's available to the 1000 series cards.

On 12/6/2021 at 3:48 PM, Mrjohn1337 said:

How do i remove this, let me use the settings i choose to kthx.

Buy a better gaming PC (No Troll)
It wont let you select it because if you did, the game would crash because you do not have good enough hardware.
Please invest one 2,000 dollars to play this game at max settings. :)

You need about 5600x, 6800xt, b550 MB and 3600Mhz RAM plus NVME/SSD or else, you will lag. Resizable BAR also really helps with stability in this game. Zzz.
Realistically to run this game in ultra, you need a 1200-2k+ PC. lol.
Helping people run this game on less than 6gb of VRAM is nearly impossible.... Nearly.
And even tho my buddy on a 1050ti can PLAY, he cannot see things easily like ladders and birds nests against the ground.
Your only option to increase those graphics is to enable Fidelity, render in 480p and upscale to like 720p or 1080p. MIGHT be able to get those graphics up then but anything over half-textures requires 6gb VRAM+

This isnt about paging. This isnt about windows.
This is about the fact 1050s have 3-4gb of VRAM and the game DEMANDS 5-6gb for over half.
VRAM and RAM are not the same. VRAM is in your GPU. RAM is in your PC. You cannot modify VRAM like you can with RAM. Only a better GPU will suffice. Otherwise, you will be stuck with mediocre settings because this game is DEMANDING. ;)

Paging will fix crashing in this game (sometimes, its still really unstable) if they are running <1050=

Edited by Pichii (see edit history)

PS: It used to be the way it was before where people could just choose to crash their PC at their whim and the forums were flooded with these posts, even more so than now. I used to see 3-6 people/day with these questions and now its like once or twice a week so, it definately helped reduce bug reports that the solution was; "Buy a better GPU."

• 3 months later...

Just to clear up what was posted months ago about this....

The game is CPU bound, not GPU bound like most games.  This means your graphics card has relatively limited impact compared to other games.  That doesn't mean you can't get by with a low end card, but the card has less impact than the CPU.

That said, you can do just fine with a 4GB GPU.  You aren't guaranteed to be able to use ultra settings, though you can use settings that are medium to high without any trouble if the rest of your computer is decent.  I have a low end gaming desktop (HP Pavilion) from about 5 years ago and it runs the game very well.  I did upgrade RAM from 8GB to 32GB and added a new SSD because the boot drive (SSD) was too small for the game to easily fit on and the other drive was HDD, which is a really bad place for this game to be installed.  Other than that, it is an older AMD CPU and GPU.  I really only have issues in large towns and usually only after being in them a while and only when driving fast.  Otherwise, I'll get smooth gameplay even on horde nights when tons of zombies.  That said, I don't get 100+ FPS, but you don't need that for the game to be smooth.

And all that for a $700 desktop.  Definitely don't need a $2000 computer for this game.  But if you can afford that, it will certainly benefit you in other games.

As to why they limit settings if your computer can't handle it?  They probably don't want to deal with a bunch of people complaining about crashes related to their settings when there isn't anything they can do to help you with having a low end computer.  But that's just a guess.  And games block you based on hardware and some don't.  My biggest problem with blocking users is that I've had games that couldn't identify my hardware and assumed I had low end hardware when I had much better than it needed and that block prevented even being able to load the game.  I'd rather just have a warning than to block users.  And then if it crashes... Well, you've been warned.

2 hours ago, Riamus said:

The game is CPU bound, not GPU bound like most games.  This means your graphics card has relatively limited impact compared to other games.  That doesn't mean you can't get by with a low end card, but the card has less impact than the CPU.

That said, you can do just fine with a 4GB GPU.  You aren't guaranteed to be able to use ultra settings, though you can use settings that are medium to high without any trouble if the rest of your computer is decent.  I have a low end gaming desktop (HP Pavilion) from about 5 years ago and it runs the game very well.  I did upgrade RAM from 8GB to 32GB and added a new SSD because the boot drive (SSD) was too small for the game to easily fit on and the other drive was HDD, which is a really bad place for this game to be installed.  Other than that, it is an older AMD CPU and GPU.  I really only have issues in large towns and usually only after being in them a while and only when driving fast.  Otherwise, I'll get smooth gameplay even on horde nights when tons of zombies.  That said, I don't get 100+ FPS, but you don't need that for the game to be smooth.

And all that for a $700 desktop.  Definitely don't need a $2000 computer for this game.  But if you can afford that, it will certainly benefit you in other games.

As to why they limit settings if your computer can't handle it?  They probably don't want to deal with a bunch of people complaining about crashes related to their settings when there isn't anything they can do to help you with having a low end computer.  But that's just a guess.  And games block you based on hardware and some don't.  My biggest problem with blocking users is that I've had games that couldn't identify my hardware and assumed I had low end hardware when I had much better than it needed and that block prevented even being able to load the game.  I'd rather just have a warning than to block users.  And then if it crashes... Well, you've been warned.

is there any way to bypass the restriction.

• \

15 minutes ago, humanturd said:

• \

Not that I'm aware of.  Someone else may have more information.  I've never had the restriction, so haven't had to try.

9 hours ago, humanturd said:

• \

No the restriction is there on purpose. You cannot use a setting that exceeds the capability of your hardware.

12 hours ago, Riamus said:

I did a very similar build for a friend about that long ago. Got an Acer system with an i7-8400 and 8GB RAM. Dropped in a 1060 6GB, another 8GB RAM, and a couple of SSD's. Game runs well enough at 60-90FPS with moderate settings at 1440p. Out the door it was only around $650-700.

Edited by SylenThunder (see edit history)