AMD driver bug

Darklegend222

5 minutes ago, Fox said:

I agree. But there is some facts that prove the possibility of drivers / software "could" be the culprit as they have been in the past. SylenThunder already posted about the 5700 series cards taking a year and a half to fix their own drivers. 6700 series being pretty much another re-labeled 5700 card with tweaks and whatnot to squeeze out more performance out of it, the possibility is definitely there. Also, I hear their software is still a bit janky. You're right, I can't know for sure, especially since I'm not a dev for this game and therefore can't tell a game code and driver issue apart, but it was still worth posting no matter how many fanboys get triggered by it because I feel like ppl deserve to know.

Yes, the 5700 series long running problems are a bad sign, although even that could be explained by the preferential treatment Nvidia probably gets (incompatibilities will always be decided in favor of nvidias way of doing it for example) and especially by 5700 being a major redesign.

12 minutes ago, Fox said:

Agreed. So why not just avoid AMD GPUs and soon Intel when they finally release their gaming cards with zero game support and join the dark side with Nvidia? That way, gamers can avoid these issues.

One BIG reason: A monopoly is not good for us customers. It never is, even with companies that seem to be somewhat "nice".

The least you can expect is that they increase prices whereever they are uncontested. See Intel in the bulldozer era and nvidia itself when AMD had no high-end GPU in their portfolio.

And Nvidia is everything but nice, They will use any advantage from a monopoly they can get (this is just my subjective impression naturally, after a few events that did not shed a good light on that company).

3 hours ago, BruiseSwayne said:

Anyone seeing similar in A20e?  I haven't seen the strange reflections yet but I am getting terrible jerking/stuttering/lag while the game is telling me I am getting 144fps.  Not sure how to describe it.  But that may not be GPU specific.

I am getting this as well. 

My husband and I both have:

Intel i5 440 QuadCore @ 3.10GHz
16gb DDR3
NVIDIA GForce GTX 1050ti (4gb)
1T SSD

He has not tried A20E yet, but I have it downloaded, and with the absolute lowest settings, I am experiencing this jerky motion when I try to walk or run. Standing still seems to be ok. I would do anything to fix this herky-jerky motion issue. The game looks absolutely gorgeous.

4 hours ago, BruiseSwayne said:

Anyone seeing similar in A20e?  I haven't seen the strange reflections yet but I am getting terrible jerking/stuttering/lag while the game is telling me I am getting 144fps.  Not sure how to describe it.  But that may not be GPU specific.

Turn your fps down, the frame times are likely too high causing the stutters. Realistically, you shouldn't need more than 60FPS in a game like this anyway. And if you can manage a stable 60fps, the frame times should also become stable as well. V-Sync being trash IMO, using an FPS limiter will ensure your fps doesn't jump all over the place and last I checked, it also improves performance by about 10fps by not using v-sync.

As usual, every time the devs overhaul everything, the frame times become unstable and creates these stutter issues. Hopefully they optimize and sort it out with patches later again. This has been a problem since the new engine in A11 and continues to pop up with every major update.

Edited by Fox (see edit history)

On 12/8/2021 at 3:26 PM, Fox said:

Turn your fps down, the frame times are likely too high causing the stutters. Realistically, you shouldn't need more than 60FPS in a game like this anyway. And if you can manage a stable 60fps, the frame times should also become stable as well. V-Sync being trash IMO, using an FPS limiter will ensure your fps doesn't jump all over the place and last I checked, it also improves performance by about 10fps by not using v-sync.

As usual, every time the devs overhaul everything, the frame times become unstable and creates these stutter issues. Hopefully they optimize and sort it out with patches later again. This has been a problem since the new engine in A11 and continues to pop up with every major update.

I turned off the VSynch, and while the jerking is still there, it's much, much better than it was. My FPS is at 40 as well. Thank you for this tip. Hopefully this stuttering/jerking will be looked at.

On 12/7/2021 at 12:15 PM, Fox said:

Agreed. So why not just avoid AMD GPUs and soon Intel when they finally release their gaming cards with zero game support and join the dark side with Nvidia? That way, gamers can avoid these issues.

Competition is good, albeit not great to behold.

Intel is actually doing rather good in terms of clock speeds and having pure cores to allocate games too. I've got this game using my last 4 cores which are non-hyperthreaded.

As for AMD, if they can ever fix their awful driver problems and can optimize the engine or whatever you call it for game developers. Then it'll be much better to use. Probably not to Nvidia's level but to a point of which these issues aren't consistent and nearly resolved.

Every manufacturer and company will have issues in the end no matter what it is. There is no perfect company in this world that we can fully trust or rely on. So the entire AMD/Intel, Nvidia/AMD fight will always persist and it's our jobs as consumers to relay any issues and get people in-the-know of what issues there are and how companies are being negligent. That's how it works in the tech world, even though it's terrible.

1 hour ago, Darklegend222 said:

Competition is good, albeit not great to behold.

Intel is actually doing rather good in terms of clock speeds and having pure cores to allocate games too. I've got this game using my last 4 cores which are non-hyperthreaded.

As for AMD, if they can ever fix their awful driver problems and can optimize the engine or whatever you call it for game developers. Then it'll be much better to use. Probably not to Nvidia's level but to a point of which these issues aren't consistent and nearly resolved.

Every manufacturer and company will have issues in the end no matter what it is. There is no perfect company in this world that we can fully trust or rely on. So the entire AMD/Intel, Nvidia/AMD fight will always persist and it's our jobs as consumers to relay any issues and get people in-the-know of what issues there are and how companies are being negligent. That's how it works in the tech world, even though it's terrible.

I was referring to Intel's PCI-E cards that are expected to release someday soon. Apparently they might be able to compete against RTX 3070 minus Ray Tracing of course. Intel and AMD's onboard graphics are (and have always been) kind of trash for gaming (which is to be expected given the space available).

And yes, I agree, competition is really important, otherwise we end up seeing things like what Intel did where they sat on their butts for several years collecting premium money with no effort at all. So yes, I definitely would love to see AMD GPUs improve in a big way, but unfortunately, I doubt it'll ever happen given their track record.

On 9/16/2021 at 11:27 AM, Darklegend222 said:

I've actually had one, it's difficult with how long it takes to upload on YouTube.

But I'll get the video to you within the day hopefully.

Edit: i made a recording, it's not great but it's the best I could since a 55mb file takes 40 minutes to upload, a 1gb file straight from the recording software would take literally forever.

I managed to get a recording of SCUM on my phone at the very least, but YouTube won't let me upload more than 1 video in a 24 hour-period.

This is exactly what I've got going on, everything getting slightly darker whenever you move. Game looks amazing but that little constant ministrobe effect is just making it unplayable. Anyone found any solution to this, only thing I've found is turning off all shadows.. but that sorta makes everything look not so great ngl

On 12/8/2021 at 11:26 PM, Fox said:

Any suggestion on frame limiting on Mac?) I've got same issues, VSync on is not working at all (no limitation), VSync half though is working, limiting the fps to 30, and stutters go away, but my eyes start bleeding with 30 fps)))

1 hour ago, Vampirenostra said:

Any suggestion on frame limiting on Mac?) I've got same issues, VSync on is not working at all (no limitation), VSync half though is working, limiting the fps to 30, and stutters go away, but my eyes start bleeding with 30 fps)))

Sorry, I've never subjected myself to using an Apple product, for many reasons, so I don't know what's compatible with them.

4 hours ago, warmonkey said:

This is exactly what I've got going on, everything getting slightly darker whenever you move. Game looks amazing but that little constant ministrobe effect is just making it unplayable. Anyone found any solution to this, only thing I've found is turning off all shadows.. but that sorta makes everything look not so great ngl

I've just returned to this thread to say that I'm going through the white glitchy artifacts in the sky all over again, plus the shadow issues flickering. I've got a new monitor which is a nice flat IPS panel. (Dell S2721DGF). HDR, Freesync, and response time being extreme are disabled.

I've been testing it on A20 and 19.6, A20 has a catastrophic amount of rendering issues, which is the case of a new system and the version being experimental.

We're just gonna have to wait till they fix it, hopefully they can comment or give us any information as to what's going on, as well as any potential fixes. (if there are any).

Edit: I'm about to test the Vulkan version and see if anything changes.

Edited by Darklegend222 (see edit history)

I realized I did a reply on my previous post, so I've got a weird occurrence of issues going on here.

I've been playing the game on a Dell S2721DGF, at first I had a lot of flickering like the Msi Optix MAG27CQ was facing. After running the game with Vulkan I've noticed less issues.

If i look real hard I can see flickering still, but not nearly to the extent of moving a frame and seeing clear white fade in them out within 0.5ms. It seems to have gone down to 0.2-0.3ms so it's much less noticable.

I'm having a hard time telling whether it's my GPU, the drivers, or the game. I can definitely say it's not the monitor though as the Optix has more issues than I accounted for and the flickering is still there on my Dell albeit way more minor.

The biggest change I did was lowering the terrain quality to high. I am seeing the white streaks all over the screen after about 1 hour and 15 minutes of gameplay as others have been reporting.