several states are regulating power supplies on gaming PCs

ElCabong

6 minutes ago, ElCabong said:

Don't ask me what the logic behind this is.

The logic is that most PCs are in idle states for very long times, so the power consumption adds up. If this regulation is about standby power, those rules did apply to government-owned PCs for years already.

Wow, that is some pearl-clutching, hyperventilating, click-bait nonsense. Designed only to stir up your kid. Headline:

Several US states are banning gaming PCs (Update)

everybody panic

Article content:

It should be noted that most manufacturers and system integrators have planned for the changes. The majority of modern power supplies should be fine.

You're right. I'm so used to that kind of BS from the media anymore, I don't even notice it.

1 hour ago, Boidster said:

Wow, that is some pearl-clutching, hyperventilating, click-bait nonsense. Designed only to stir up your kid. Headline:

everybody panic

Article content:

Edited by ElCabong (see edit history)

Sigh, 5 year old law going into the next pahse of activation. Want some actual details and not the BS kind of headline you're repeating here? Go watch Jayz2cents viedeo on it. Or Gamersnexus. Both will show you just how foolish you sound worrying about this nothing law.

Synopsis tho, no user assembled PC is covered by this.

The more powerful the PC the less it is covered by this.

As for the logic behind it? It's aimed at the thousands of office desktops sitting at sleep mode 16 hours a day eating up power for absolutely no reason. That is the most affected group of PC's by this.

On 8/2/2021 at 9:30 AM, Boidster said:

everybody panic

Article content:

good one i could totally see this happening especially with how everything is going now XD

While I only skimmed a different article on it seemed to me most new PCs will comply with the law by having more aggressive sleep profiles and better power supplies.

Yes some cheap dell proprietary or un-named 1200 watt power supply won’t make the cut but overall that’s a good thing to me.