Electric Fence Overload?

8_Hussars

Quick question.

Is there an overload function on the Electric Fence?  Config: generator > switch > relay > fence post 1 then fence post 2.

On horde nights the fence stops working at some point.  In the morning the fence is damaged but not destroyed and can be repaired.  

11 hours ago, Kyonshi said:

The last post of a fence relay is always the one that gets damaged. So just setup the relay so you have easy access to this far end rod.

Well, not in 19.3 - maybe they changed it for 19.5 or maybe I misunderstand "relay"? Up through 19.3, for every pair of fence posts the "downstream" fence post will take damage. In a chain of 3+ fence posts (which is how I understood "relay"), essentially every one except the first will take damage (assuming zombies walk through each segment).

For example, in the setup below which I just did in 19.3, current flows A -> B -> C. I sent a whole bunch of Arlenes down each path and both B and C had taken damage.

Sorry if I misunderstood.

image.thumb.png.f46f60e11f1f78f886c6f0bc428c3b8f.png

Edited by Boidster (see edit history)

2 hours ago, Boidster said:

Well, not in 19.3 - maybe they changed it for 19.5 or maybe I misunderstand "relay"? Up through 19.3, for every pair of fence posts the "downstream" fence post which will take damage. In a chain of 3+ fence posts (which is how I understood "relay"), essentially every one except the first will take damage (assuming zombies walk through each segment).

For example, in the setup below which I just did in 19.3, current flows A -> B -> C. I sent a whole bunch of Arlenes down each path and both B and C had taken damage.

Sorry if I misunderstood.

image.thumb.png.f46f60e11f1f78f886c6f0bc428c3b8f.png

I guess its me who is misleading people. Well, not completely.

I usually put up only two rods which have a wire going over a step in my staircase base. So that's why i said the end rod of my relay is the one that gets damaged all the time. I never put up above that number of fences, so i guess i was being ignorant about what you just explained and thought that whatever the amount of fences you have attached, only the very last one gets damaged. Thanks for explaining and making me realize i was half-wrong ;)

Our last base had a chain of 4 fence posts on each side of the square base. None of them were really accessible during the fight and of course 12 of the 16 posts had damage after every fight and sections of the fence would die just like @8_Hussars. The fact that they don't completely get destroyed at least allowed downstream sections to keep working. Until they didn't. It was not the best design, but it was fun for the first 4 hordes.

Now we just use single pairs of posts like you do, and they're all in the 'safe area' of our base so we can repair them during BMH.

Thanks all for the input so far but perhaps I am not explaining it well.

I am aware of the repair requirement and its set up so that the last post (of two) can be repaired.  When the zombies pour in and get caught in the fence; it works for awhile but then stops.  The last fence post has this little blue electric graphic around the head and I am unable to repair it (yes I have electrical parts).  After the night is over I can repair it and it will be at 95/200 for example.  So the fence stops working before the last fence post HP reaches 0.  

I will grab some screen shots next time it fails and post them as its likely I am missing something important.   

9 minutes ago, 8_Hussars said:

The last fence post has this little blue electric graphic around the head

That visual is indicating that the fence post has stopped working, and is intended.

10 minutes ago, 8_Hussars said:

and I am unable to repair it

I seem to remember my friend running into that issue in our multiplayer. I don't think I've seen it myself, but it sounds like a bug. You should be able to repair the posts normally (I think they take multiple materials at once; can't remember exactly right now, but whatever the post is made of.)

11 minutes ago, 8_Hussars said:

it will be at 95/200 for example.  So the fence stops working before the last fence post HP reaches 0.  

95 sounds high, iirc the stopping point is at 50/200.

There is no way to automatically repair/reconnect then after damage/loss and must be done manually.
Iron and electrics parts to repair.

Best you can do is have them spaced apart far enough (13 blocks) to not take explosion damage, and shielded from spit or random bashes.

Kool Tip : if its turned off... it doesn't take damage...

eg : I've run 24+ pole on 2 threads for last dozen horde bases I've made. 
Have one thread of 12 turned off... till the other 12 is about brunt out. ☺️
as seen here...
https://youtu.be/x2LQ64SLK64

Although this is the older version as i have since added a couple of improvements. 
Will make a how to build vid if anyone's keen to see,

15 hours ago, theFlu said:

That visual is indicating that the fence post has stopped working, and is intended.

I seem to remember my friend running into that issue in our multiplayer. I don't think I've seen it myself, but it sounds like a bug. You should be able to repair the posts normally (I think they take multiple materials at once; can't remember exactly right now, but whatever the post is made of.)

95 sounds high, iirc the stopping point is at 50/200.

I assumed as well that they would stop like blade traps at 25% of their health. But then I checked xml and it seems they don't have a stopping point like blade traps.

49 minutes ago, meganoth said:

But then I checked xml and it seems they don't have a stopping point like blade traps.

How to get the correct answer on the internet?

1. Post the wrong one

2. Someone will challenge you

3. Then you get to have a dance party with 3 rad Arlenes. After said dance party, my pole stopped working after about 300 stunning performances, with an awesome spray of .. some blue stuff. Leaving the health of said fence pole at 49/200, regardless how many times said Arlenes tried to encourage it to proper function.

So, my 1/1 test in 19.5 b60 would suggest that the limit is 50, just not inclusive.

19 hours ago, 8_Hussars said:

The last fence post has this little blue electric graphic around the head and I am unable to repair it (yes I have electrical parts).

This is the intriguing part for me. I've never seen a graphic symbol around a fence post, working or broken. When holding the electrical tool I can see the blue flow of power into it, and if holding a repair tool I can see X/Y damage. I even tested what happens if the fence post is in a chain which is overloading the source, i.e. the post is the 55th watt of required power for a 50W generator. In that case the fence is inactive, but still no special graphic.

Keen to see screenshots.

3 hours ago, theFlu said:

How to get the correct answer on the internet?

1. Post the wrong one

2. Someone will challenge you

3. Then you get to have a dance party with 3 rad Arlenes. After said dance party, my pole stopped working after about 300 stunning performances, with an awesome spray of .. some blue stuff. Leaving the health of said fence pole at 49/200, regardless how many times said Arlenes tried to encourage it to proper function.

So, my 1/1 test in 19.5 b60 would suggest that the limit is 50, just not inclusive.

Strange, isn't it? In xml the blade trap has a line

<property name="BrokenPercentage" value="0.25"/>

And this seems to be exactly the line that does the magic with blade traps. No other electrical device has that line. But the blade trap also has a similar line with "BreakingPercentage" at "0.5". Which leads me to the new theory that these two lines are just about the visible graphics and actually the real magical magic is happening ALL in c# code and is not exposed to xml at all

That could even mean ALL electrical devices stop at 25% HP, turrets and maybe even electrical doors

Thank you for the empirical study by the way

Edited by meganoth (see edit history)

Could mean, sure, but I doubt it. Seems logical that the stopping is made so that the traps won't suicide; makes keeping up with repairs a lot less of a hassle. There's no need for it in things that won't take damage while operating.

5 hours ago, meganoth said:

That could even mean ALL electrical devices stop at 25% HP, turrets and maybe even electrical doors

The Arlene who participated in my experiment regrets to inform you that turrets remain quite active down to 1HP. Did not test doors yet.