Properly adding a building to the world...

I have made a few buildings in the prefab editor. They work fine, but I am having a few problems adding them into a world. Below are the steps I have taken.

1. Copied the Navezgane folder to a new name so I do not edit the original map
  2. Go into the new folder and edit the map_info XML and change the name to match the folder it is in
  3. Start 7 Days and load the new world (a clone of Navezgane) into the world editor
  4. I go to a location I want one of the new buildings
  5. I press Z and target a block of air sitting on the ground
  6. I press K, go to dynamic prefabs, select my building, and load it into the blue cube
  7. I now have a large, neon-green cube which I move into position

What next? This is where all guides I can find go dead. I have tried selecting another object which causes the building to show up, generally facing the wrong way. If I select the building and make it face the right way by using X, it is still facing the wrong way when I start a game in that world. On top of that the building does not show up until you are almost on top of it, unlike other buildings. How do I add this thing properly and store the rotation with it? How do I make it show up farther out?

Not exactly what I am looking for. I really wish Unity wasn't so outdated and bad. Have an Unreal Engine game? UnrealEd. Got a Quake-based game? Tons of options. Unity? No real world or level editor. They appear, from my viewpoint, to leave it to the devs to do their own thing so Unity is never going to be standard. This is an easy thing to do in a normal editor, but I am really frustrated that I can add a building to the world and get it just right, save it all, and then it isn't right in-game.

Is there any documentation for the built-in tools for 7 Days? I still have a stack of printed-out pages on UnrealEd from the late 90's when I was on dial-up. I printed the entire manual and learned it. While things changed over the years I can still go into any Unreal Engine game and edit with ease. I believe that I could do the same here if I had a manual or tutorial.

There is a series of prefab tutorials here by not-a-gamer-gaming that might help? 

I think one of these episodes talks about  doing what you want to do, which is place a prefab (any prefab) into an already generated world. I’m not sure which episode it is, but it might be this one:

other parts of the tutorial talk about prefab rotation, and some config files within a prefab build to mess with, etc. so you may have to jump around a bit to find all the info these have.

Edited by doughphunghus (see edit history)

4 hours ago, The_Great_Sephiroth said:

I have made a few buildings in the prefab editor. They work fine, but I am having a few problems adding them into a world. Below are the steps I have taken.

1. Copied the Navezgane folder to a new name so I do not edit the original map
  2. Go into the new folder and edit the map_info XML and change the name to match the folder it is in
  3. Start 7 Days and load the new world (a clone of Navezgane) into the world editor
  4. I go to a location I want one of the new buildings
  5. I press Z and target a block of air sitting on the ground
  6. I press K, go to dynamic prefabs, select my building, and load it into the blue cube
  7. I now have a large, neon-green cube which I move into position

What next? This is where all guides I can find go dead. I have tried selecting another object which causes the building to show up, generally facing the wrong way. If I select the building and make it face the right way by using X, it is still facing the wrong way when I start a game in that world. On top of that the building does not show up until you are almost on top of it, unlike other buildings. How do I add this thing properly and store the rotation with it? How do I make it show up farther out?

i threw up a quickie vid to show how to get a prefab into the world editor.. sorry i dont have the time for more nor all the answers.. i do have an 8k world that i created with all of my custom pois and those of tfp's that i wanted and the way i show in video is how i do it.. just save and reload the world in editor to refresh or load a temp game to see if it worked.

Edited by unholyjoe (see edit history)

Doughphunghus and Unholyjoe, thanks. I'll watch these and see if they can set me straight. Appreciate you taking the time out to help me.

Unholyjoe, I just watched your video and believe it or not, I am doing it that way. Time to break out OBS and show you guys that my rotation is being ignored.

Also, blast! You figured me out, I just wanted a sneak peek at A20! Seriously though, thanks. Oh and forgive the poor mic quality in the upcoming video. I have a Tiamat 7.1 v2, but I do not have space for it on my desk so I am using a basic headset for a week or two.

Edited by The_Great_Sephiroth (see edit history)

OK, doing it exactly as Unholyjoe did, did not correct the issue. I am currently uploading the video to YouTube. It will take a bit. I record in 1440p60, CQP level 8 (lossless) and the video is 15.3GB. However, I did discover another bug. Apparently F11 does something now. It opens a chat box or console or something. Since F11 starts recording in OBS for me, it opened that new window in-game. After closing the window I could not click on anything. ALT+F4 worked though.

F11 Main Menu Bug

I will post a link to the video of me placing the prefab and then going into the game world and the prefab being rotated after the upload finishes.

ok with enough testing i found the repro for the F11.. and will report it if i find it in a20.

as for a19.5 right now, i suggest remapping you software key for starting it up as the F keys are not changeable in 7dtd (i use F12 to start bandicam).

so i cant promise anything for a19 on this.

A19.5_2021-06-09_16-54-21.jpg

Edited by unholyjoe (see edit history)

No that's not an issue for me, I was just reporting it as I discovered it while trying to record the issue at hand. I can easily change the mappings, though I would expect the game engine to realize that CTRL+ALT+F11 is not F11. I do not have this issue in UE games where F11 is bound, but CTRL+ALT+F11 is not bound by default. My keys are actually CTRL+ALT+F11 to start recording and CTRL+SHIFT+F11 to stop recording. Only one game has given me an issue with this, and that is an Unreal Engine game in pre-alpha known as Ground Branch. Other games react to F11, but not my combination of keys.

With that said, should Unity ignore this because I am not pressing F11 alone? Again, not a big deal, but if my key-combo should be ignored, it leads me to believe the input parts of Unity are ignoring control and alt when pressing function keys.

The video has 28min left, then I will post a link. Spectrum stinks. I hate them. Had TWC for years. 300 down, 30 up, $55/mo. Spectrum takes over and bumps me one plan down, to 200 down, 20 up. Then they jack my rate up and tell me it is due to being on a TWC plan. I ask if there is any difference beyond price in Spectrums and TWC, they say no, I switch, and there is a difference, 10 up. All their plans are now 10 up. Except for the 400Mbps plan, you get 35 up there. So it takes eons to do ANYTHING now. Sorry for the rant, just tired of ISPs being allowed to walk all over customers because they have no competition in the USA.

34 minutes of video at 1920 x 1080p 30fps using bandicam took around 12 minutes to upload (this time)

so i try to explain and show in a little more detail.. yes there are issues and team is aware of them but hopefully before we go gold it will be sorted and at least working much better.

watch vid and let me know if it helps.. i hope it does..

I found the issue. Well, what I believe is the issue. Put simply, it saves the wrong value for rotation, which I assume is 0-3. My logical thinking here goes like this:

1. I place the object and it is facing north
  2. I press X ONE TIME to make it face east
  3. I save and exit the game
  4. Open the prefabs.xml file
  5. Note that rotation is set to 1
  6. Since 1 equals west, 3 must be east
  7. Change 1 to 3 in prefabs.xml and save it
  8. Start new game on that world
  9. Rotation is correct

This leads me to believe that it is displaying the prefab in the editor 180deg out for whatever reason. If 0 is south, 1 is west, 2 is north, and 3 is east, the world editor is showing it 180deg out. If not, perhaps it is recording the number of times I pressed X to rotate it? Either way the issue is that what you see in the world editor is reversed from in a live game, and the save file stored the wrong rotation. I hope that helps. If I can be of any service in helping you test this further, please tell me how. I'd be happy to help.