Dedicated Server Won't Update to 19.5

overgoat

I attempted to update our dedicated server to 19.5  with the "app_update 294420" command and it appeared to download new components and update successfully, but after it completes the game still shows version 19.4 and won't let 19.5 clients connect.  

Attempting to run the command again gives "Success! App '294420' already up to date."

Any help would be appreciated.

The system is a Win10 Pro VM dedicated for the server with no other apps running on it (dual processor/32GB RAM)

Full command is "app_update 294420" from the steamCMD prompt.  Also attempted "app_update 294420 -beta" with the same results.

Steam>app_update 294420
Success! App '294420' already up to date.

I'm familiar with clearing the download cache on the client side, but I'm not sure how to do on the server and a quick Google only showed client side instructions.  Could you point me to directions on clearing the download cache?

Edited by overgoat (see edit history)

So you aren't even telling it where to install the client?  Using -beta would require an added value for the tag.

Normally your command should look similar to this...
D:\steamcmd\steamcmd +login anonymous +force_install_dir "D:\7dtdServer" +app_update 294420 -validate +quit

Cache should be in \SteamCMD\depotcache  Remove the files there, and it will force it to re-pull the data from the depot on the client.

I am curious. I have set up dedicated servers on my extra home pc and I have never used the command above. I have always used just the dedicated server set up in steam. Is there an advantage to doing it the way above?

20 minutes ago, Gamida said:

I am curious. I have set up dedicated servers on my extra home pc and I have never used the command above. I have always used just the dedicated server set up in steam. Is there an advantage to doing it the way above?

me too and no issues... i have also used the command line crap just to test it and felt it to be more of a nuisance (but to each his own).  for me the old days of command line interaction are not what i desire anymore. click on steam to install dedi, specify where and click ok.

:)

22 minutes ago, Gamida said:

No need to have Steam installed and running. Allows download without having a Steam account. Works on headless servers.

5 hours ago, SylenThunder said:

No need to have Steam installed and running. Allows download without having a Steam account. Works on headless servers.

I thought once I had it up and running I turned off steam on the server. Not sure now. I don't think I could be logged in on 2 computers so it would stop that steam anyway when I started up 7 days on my computer I use to play on.

Edited by Gamida (see edit history)

this is only a test... for verification. curiosity got the best of me.

i installed the steam version of the dedi not via steam cmd.

started it up, joined it no issues, logged out, then shut down steam ... dedi keeps running so its not dependent on steam being up. of course i cant hop into it as my steam is down so will try my wifes account... i am able to connect to my dedi as expected. so even tho i used the install from steam interface, its still a stand alone program that does not require steam to be up and running.

Edited by unholyjoe (see edit history)

4 hours ago, unholyjoe said:

this is only a test... for verification. curiosity got the best of me.

i installed the steam version of the dedi not via steam cmd.

started it up, joined it no issues, logged out, then shut down steam ... dedi keeps running so its not dependent on steam being up. of course i cant hop into it as my steam is down so will try my wifes account... i am able to connect to my dedi as expected. so even tho i used the install from steam interface, its still a stand alone program that does not require steam to be up and running.

Right, but with SteamCMD you don't have a Steam client wasting disk space. 😛
208MB vs 1.59GB 

Edited by SylenThunder (see edit history)

15 hours ago, SylenThunder said:

So you aren't even telling it where to install the client?  Using -beta would require an added value for the tag.

Normally your command should look similar to this...
D:\steamcmd\steamcmd +login anonymous +force_install_dir "D:\7dtdServer" +app_update 294420 -validate +quit

Cache should be in \SteamCMD\depotcache  Remove the files there, and it will force it to re-pull the data from the depot on the client.

Thank you!  It worked!  I was running the commands directly from the SteamCMD command prompt rather than the Windows CMD prompt which may have been the problem.  The update appeared to be run exactly the same, but for some reason running it from the Windows command prompt finally took it to 19.5. 

Thanks very much for the help.

43 minutes ago, Nagano said:

I have the same issue now, tried to force an update but nothing showed up. Then i reinstalled everything but still won't load 19.5. Tried it over SteamCMD and Steam. Any ideas?

We were not there when you did all that. Which operating system, where is you install dir, what exactly did you do, what exactly did happen?