Why does RWG take so long?

AlphaOmega

Just wondering why it takes 22 minutes to generate an 8k map.

Alpha 19.2b3

i9-10885

RTX 2070 Super

32gb RAM

It's been a while since I played and I seem to remember it used to take like 6-8 minutes tops. Is there a bug with the latest experimental release or something?

2 hours ago, AlphaOmega said:

Just wondering why it takes 22 minutes to generate an 8k map.

Alpha 19.2b3

i9-10885

RTX 2070 Super

32gb RAM

It's been a while since I played and I seem to remember it used to take like 6-8 minutes tops. Is there a bug with the latest experimental release or something?

Its because its bad, that simple.

Theres a reason why everybody on posts like this suggest using nitrogen map generator.

3 hours ago, Solomon said:

Its because its bad, that simple.

Theres a reason why everybody on posts like this suggest using nitrogen map generator.

I feel like Nitro is close to being great, but until they fix that sawblade jaggedness issue on what should be smooth terrain, I just can't endorse it or use it. I remember it being a huge pain and you could only travel on roads because any smooth terrain was so jagged that it would tear up vehicles. Maybe Nitro has fixed that by now? It's been a long time since I've tried it.

5 hours ago, pApA^LeGBa said:

No issues for me using Nitrogen. What you describe is rather true for RWG maps. Even on pregen there are large areas where it is a huge pain to go offroad because every block is oriented differently.

Issues for me using Nitrogen. I mean, I use it for my maps, but its terrain smoothing is noticeably worse than vanilla. There was another thread on this the last few days and I posted screenshots of just how bumpy Nitrogen hillsides are compared to vanilla. It's annoying, but Nitrogen has other things going for it so I still prefer it.

That said, it has apparently started to get a bit wobbly with 19.1 (my 19.1 map seems okay so far, but others have reported issues) and with 19.2's changes to map generation, well I just hope it keeps working. Or that Damocles pops back in with an update.

What kind of RWG maps do you guys get? RWG is so far away from smooth terrain. Miles away. Like said there is a huge amount of terrain on the pregen maps where i rather don´t drive or it´s even impossible to drive. Same with the last three RWG maps we tried. Always has those hilly terrain with every block having a different orientation making it litteraly impossible to drive there. Never had that issue in Nitrogen. Not even once in A19. @Boidster

Could you post screenshots of that worse smoothing? I will get some with that impossible to drive terrain.

19 hours ago, AlphaOmega said:

I feel like Nitro is close to being great, but until they fix that sawblade jaggedness issue on what should be smooth terrain, I just can't endorse it or use it. I remember it being a huge pain and you could only travel on roads because any smooth terrain was so jagged that it would tear up vehicles. Maybe Nitro has fixed that by now? It's been a long time since I've tried it.

Im not sure if i ever witnessed that effect ingame, my map was generated to be super smooth and its just like that.

21 hours ago, AlphaOmega said:

I feel like Nitro is close to being great, but until they fix that sawblade jaggedness issue on what should be smooth terrain,

I had partially rough terrain on A19 RWG map and also on nitrogen with 19.1.

Overall nitrogen generates also smooth terrain, but not everywhere, just like RWG does.

Also there is a setting called "terrain roughness" iirc which default setting is not "overally smooth". Maybe get your settings right, before complaining about generation mistakes?

Archived