Loot levels balance idea

Tahaan

I see a lot of people not liking the way the loot system works, wanting it so that you can find a wider variety of items early on.

So a few thoughts on changes that can perhaps accomplish all goals:

1. Make it so that there is a lower chance to still find items from lower or higher game stages.  Some kind of normal distribution where 80% of the loot is from your game stage, and 80% of the rest is one tier above or below, and the rest is anything else.

2. In addition to the above: Make it so that to repair an item, you have to be able to craft the item.  So you found that lovely marksman's rifle early... but you can't repair it so you better save it for when you really need it.

3. The POI "type" should play a role in what loot is found in the garbage, etc.  So, for example: the chance of a pipe in the garbage of working stiffs in increased, but the chance of finding potatoes is higher in a Shamway factory.  Special loot containers already have appropriate loot lists, so this is just relating to the more generic loot, and the "change" in percentage needs to be small, you still should find a fair amount of everything everywhere!

Anways just some thoughts there!

1 hour ago, Tahaan said:

2. In addition to the above: Make it so that to repair an item, you have to be able to craft the item.  So you found that lovely marksman's rifle early... but you can't repair it so you better save it for when you really need it.

I would fully support this idea only if traders would be able to repair the tools for You as well... for the coin or bartered items/resources. 

3 hours ago, Tahaan said:

I see a lot of people not liking the way the loot system works, wanting it so that you can find a wider variety of items early on.

So a few thoughts on changes that can perhaps accomplish all goals:

1. Make it so that there is a lower chance to still find items from lower or higher game stages.  Some kind of normal distribution where 80% of the loot is from your game stage, and 80% of the rest is one tier above or below, and the rest is anything else.

3. The POI "type" should play a role in what loot is found in the garbage, etc.  So, for example: the chance of a pipe in the garbage of working stiffs in increased, but the chance of finding potatoes is higher in a Shamway factory.  Special loot containers already have appropriate loot lists, so this is just relating to the more generic loot, and the "change" in percentage needs to be small, you still should find a fair amount of everything everywhere!

Anways just some thoughts there!

About 1:

If 20% is a tier 1 weapon you need to loot on average 5 gun boxes to get a tier 1 gun. If your goal is that the average player to not have tier1 guns immediately in the first days and the average player is easily able to loot 5 gun boxes in 2 days you failed the goal by a wide margin.

Sure, the 80% was likely just an example, but if you give out specific numbers they should at least be in the right ballpark.

The idea that powerful weapons can only be used as oh-@%$*#! weapons, either through repair ability or ammo scarcity, actually solves a large part of the problem.

But it still provides you with a safe feeling to be able to get out of any oh-@%$*#! situation which doesn't fit with the horror survival part of this game. Yes, there are lots of players who don't care for horror or survival or both, but many including the developers are probably in the other camp.

3 hours ago, Tahaan said:

That's how it's currently working.

With the exception of super early in the game there is always overlap. Any modder who can be arsed knows how to look up the details. 😃

1 minute ago, meganoth said:

About 1:

If 20% is a tier 1 weapon you need to loot on average 5 gun boxes to get a tier 1 gun. If your goal is that the average player to not have tier1 guns immediately in the first days and the average player is easily able to loot 5 gun boxes in 2 days you failed the goal by a wide margin.

The 80% is just an example and perhaps I misunderstood but I think weapon tiers and loot tiers are different things.

Most of the time you need to get things that are appropriate to your looting tier.  Rarely you need to get something a bit better.

2 minutes ago, Gazz said:

That's how it's currently working.

With the exception of super early in the game there is always overlap. Any modder who can be arsed knows how to look up the details. 😃

My bad then, I thought that because everybody seems to be complaining about the loot that it is not.

Also I've looked at the xml but I really don't understand 99.9% of it.

Pvp player here and i hate the new loot system , I have tested it out on 4 diff servers from normal to 400% loot bonus

First off this takes all the fun out of the game

Us pvp players we have lots of server restarts and this makes the grind so bland boring and predictable i do not want to play anymore

I miss looting cars at a fresh start and finding that auger on the the first day 1/10 wipes, or even just finding a steel pick its so bleh now i dont even bother looting cars

New crackabooks are horrible i get just paper in like 55/60 bookshelves 

Now lvling is so slow and i do not feel like looting much stuff cause i already know its gonna have trash in it

I just really want the treasure hunt feeling to be back and have a reason to loot instead of hiding in a hole

This also provides a large advantage for big teams and its horrible for people that do not start when the server wipes

I think this new loot system is really going to hurt the player base overtime

I know the pvp player base is really small but this is how i feel

achieve.png

playtime.png

Archived