Jump to content

Crafting Station Inventory Overflow


Ill Fred GMan

Recommended Posts

Does anyone know what happens to things that are crafted in blocks like the campfire or forge when the inventory of those blocks is full? I'm pretty sure the crafted items disappear upon finishing the crafting process. If so, it would be neat if TFP would make it so the crafting block (campfire, etc.) turns off instead of blatantly wasting resources. I know this is less realistic, but obviously this game's design isn't realism-purist mode.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

They used to pop into your inventory, but that glitch got abused, so it was just removed. I'm not sure it's possible to easily introduce a mechanic that would auto-stop the workbench. It's easier to just expect the player isn't going to overload the output.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Ill Fred GMan said:

what happens to things that are crafted in blocks like the campfire or forge when the inventory of those blocks is full?

The crafting station stops crafting. The items remain in the crafting slot until the player makes room in the crafting station's inventory. (or the craft job is cancelled).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/22/2020 at 11:33 PM, SylenThunder said:

They used to pop into your inventory, but that glitch got abused, so it was just removed. I'm not sure it's possible to easily introduce a mechanic that would auto-stop the workbench. It's easier to just expect the player isn't going to overload the output.

 

On 7/23/2020 at 4:26 PM, Beelzybub said:

The crafting station stops crafting. The items remain in the crafting slot until the player makes room in the crafting station's inventory. (or the craft job is cancelled).

 

Which is it?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I believe it depends on the workstation.  I know if it's the campfire or the forge, it just stops but still sits there burning fuel. In the workbench or the tablesaw I'm not certain because these handle materials differently. (I'm not the crafter in our group, I hunt and gather resources.)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ok, so it sounds like there's no clear answer. I'll take it upon myself to test each of the stations one of these days. If other people would also test (and/or if devs could answer) that would also help; the more info the better. The last thing I want is to craft ammo into oblivion while out gathering. 😶

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, Ill Fred GMan said:

Ok, so it sounds like there's no clear answer. I'll take it upon myself to test each of the stations one of these days. If other people would also test (and/or if devs could answer) that would also help; the more info the better. The last thing I want is to craft ammo into oblivion while out gathering. 😶

Was already answered kinda: they all stop crafting. The last thing in queue will be at 0:00 time left when you get there. Nothing lost. I guess in the case of campfires/forges/chem stations you lose fuel since they stay running, but I mean a stack of wood in one of those will burn from now till the heat death of our sun so that's not really a loss lol.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I never over craft because I just remember the max stack of each items & so just craft the necessary depending on the space available... (Well except that happen on server where I miss that's not modded to up stack of items/blocks more than vanilla)

But example if you need to be AFK & so you launch the craft in any station work (I know that happen with the cement mixer, with other don't know) :

- If you stay with the station work window open, well craft overflow will go in your inventory

- But without it, when overflow the craft will go in your inventory when you open the station work but you will lose 50%!

Example, if cement mix had a stack 100, when that do 6 stacks but you build overflow 100 more, when you open the station work, you will got only 50 more...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Life_For_Dead said:

I never over craft because I just remember the max stack of each items & so just craft the necessary depending on the space available... (Well except that happen on server where I miss that's not modded to up stack of items/blocks more than vanilla)

But example if you need to be AFK & so you launch the craft in any station work (I know that happen with the cement mixer, with other don't know) :

- If you stay with the station work window open, well craft overflow will go in your inventory

- But without it, when overflow the craft will go in your inventory when you open the station work but you will lose 50%!

Example, if cement mix had a stack 100, when that do 6 stacks but you build overflow 100 more, when you open the station work, you will got only 50 more...

This is what I've found during my tests (Alpha 19_b173). Anyone saying that the crafting station simply stops crafting when it's 6-slot output inventory is full is mistaken. Anyone saying that it's impossible to introduce code to stop the crafting station automatically when full is mostly mistaken; the code already exists, but it only triggers when all possible inventory slots are full including the player's backpack. If the crafting station is crafting items while your personal backpack inventory is 100% full and the crafting station's 6-slot output inventory is 100% full, opening the crafting station will trigger a white text message just above the hotbar which reads "No Room In Workstation Output. Crafting Has Been Halted Until Space Is Cleared."

 

I assume this is a bug where the code is written to check if all inventory slots in the workbench UI (which includes the backpack!) are full rather than only the workbench's inventory slots. Hopefully TFP can address this soon. The extra strange part of this bug is that when the crafting station's 6-slot inventory is full but the player's backpack isn't and the player closes the station immediately after queuing the job and then reopens it after the job's time requirement has passed, the queued craft job yields 50% products. If you watch the queue after reopening the station, you can see the quantity of products skip every other number as it counts down, but only giving a single product each time. For example: 10, 8, 6, 4, 2 products left to be crafted but only 5 total products actually come out.

 

In my test, I placed 6 pieces of wood in the workbench's output, one in each inventory slot. I then queued 10 iron crossbow bolts to be crafted. I kept the workbench open the entire time and I had several empty inventory slots in my backpack; the workbench automatically placed all 10 bolts into my backpack directly. Awesome! I repeated the test with the same parameters except that I closed the workbench UI immediately after queuing the 10 bolts up and then reopened it after the required time (20 seconds); the workbench still read that it had 10 bolts left to craft and would require 20 seconds to do so, but outputted only 5 bolts total over 20 seconds and counted down remaining bolts in the queue as 10, 8, 6, 4, 2. Strange and disappointing. I then repeated the same test a final time with the same parameters as the second test, but filled all of my empty backpack inventory slots with a 7.62mm bullet in each so that my backpack was 100% full as well as the workbench output remaining full of the 6 wood. I closed the workbench UI after queuing the craft job and then reopened it after the 20 seconds had passed. This was when the "No Room In Workstation Output. Crafting Has Been Halted Until Space Is Cleared." message popped up and the workbench did actually stop the craft job exactly where I had left it: 20 seconds required to craft the 10 bolts. I then did one last thing: I closed the workbench UI and made an empty space in my backpack, and then reopened the workbench. It again crafted 5 bolts total over 20 seconds, counting down 10, 8, 6, 4, 2 bolts left to craft.

 

Thank you to everyone who responded, but please do your research before authoritatively posting answers.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Ill Fred GManI confirmed your result that when all of a crafting station's inventory slots are taken, half of the expected output will go into the player's inventory.

I tested all the crafting stations and they all had the same result. If 10 items are crafted, 5 will go into the player's inventory. My tests were with A19 b173.

Crafting doesn't stop in A19 as I'd previously stated. Sorry for the mis-information.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...