What's better, the normal auger or steel pickaxe/fireaxe?

Sephiro

For mining? Auger, its faster than the pickaxe for digging stuff up. It sucks vs wood so your still going to need a fireaxe, also the auger is loud as hell, so its deff not something you wanna use in a POI unless you just don't care about what it attracts.

Personally I don't like the auger. It annoys me to no end using it. Both with the sound and the lack of precision. My mines have straight walls. Period. I don't do the "crazy all over up and down and round and round" mines. :) I've never had a problem getting enough materials, even with doing massive builds, with using perked into and modded steel tools. I also hate wasting gas and repair kits on it. It chews thru repair kits like crazy. Your mileage may vary of course.

I prefer the auger, though I also prefer straight walls for the most part. It's a conundrum. Gas is nearly infinite in supply and repair kits are cheap once glue is in steady supply (Vedui's vulture-chopper base ought to ensure that). When using the coffee bonus to mining (one of the perk books) it's important to auger through as many iron nodes as possible in the 4 minute buff time. I also like the auger when I have to rearrange the roof of some "brick" POI that for some reason has a few reinforced concrete blocks painted to look like brick. 🤨

Normal questing I just carry a pick; the auger is for special use only.

Depends on the application. Mass digging where I don't care about the shape outcome, auger hands down. This is usually when I'm mining resources en mass. If I doing precision digging for foundations/etc, then mining pick. 

I do agree that the sound is annoying and repetitive. That is probably by design to be an additional drawback. The gas, heat, and repair kits don't bother me at all since it is the price of using an efficient tool that doesn't use stamina. 

If you are just out to move a ton of material the Auger is great, but like JCrook said, it's not the cleanest machine to use if you like straight lines. Also you will be attracting random hordes with an Auger a lot quicker than a pick ax, so that is a big consideration. 

Archived