Is it A19 night too light?

IceWolf444

Curious on everyones thoughts on this. Do you find the night time to be too well lit in A19? I found a lot of the horror factor from earlier versions at night to be from the limited visibility. I thought light sources needed to be reworked to give some ambient light at further distances, but now I hardly see the need to have any light sources outside of your base because you can still see perfectly well. I usually try to build spotlights to illuminate the exterior of the base but now I hardly need a helmet light during the horde nights. 

I have the brightness at default, which does feel too light, but found that if I lowered it, would make internal settings, and even daytime, feel too dark...and I am not going to manually reset the brightness back and forth each night. I'm curious if this was due to the move from Gamma settings to brightness settings, but am unsure. Agree with Sylen that blood moon fights now feel like you're fighting in the day. The overall lighting and the way lights work feels much better in A19, but the ambient night light seems too bright. 

I think it is too.  I have a mod that makes it permanent nighttime.  in a18 it got so dark at times (usually after 2 pm I think) that you couldn't see well at all outside.  Inside it was pitch black.  it was fun because you had to carry a light source with you (in your hand or a helmet light, which I thought of getting rid of because it was too bright and ruined things)  wherever you went, at all times.  You couldn't enter a house without light.  Shadows houses made were like 90% pitch black, zeds coming out of nowhere or you could hear them and barely make out them shambling a short distance away.  Having electric lighting was a big deal.  in a19 the mod doesn't really do anything except make the sun not come out. Its basically daytime at night.

I've lowered my gamma way down (0-15%) and the game just looks wrong. It may be the only solution for now, but yeah, its too bright at night IMHO ;)

51 minutes ago, SylenThunder said:

I have heard that today's update resolves this somewhat, but I haven't had a chance to even read the Patch Notes yet.

Yeah, I have my brightness set to 50% and right now in my game it is pitch black at night. Granted it's currently overcast so that may be part of it.

I thought it was intentional. Streamers constantly turned the gamma up so viewers can actually see what was happening, but it made the game look washed out and crappy. They decided to just make things more visible at night so that they could manage the visibility.

37 minutes ago, Fenris said:

Yeah, I have my brightness set to 50% and right now in my game it is pitch black at night. Granted it's currently overcast so that may be part of it.

That's how it should be.  I'm trying to log into my own server to test stuff, but atm my server hates me.

I made a modlet that might help a little "Buff Ambiance - Darker Nights" that's here: Doughs Modlets

Please try it out and let me know what you think!

What it does is set the moons "ambiance" to 0.  This doesn't make it pitch black, but it cuts down on brightness a lot.

Also: The brightness changes depending on the day number because the moon has cycles now (full moon, half moon, quarter moon, etc.) so the brightest night is when its a full moon.  The "first" darkest night appears to be Day 5.

There are some other settings that appear can be changed that might make it even darker, but I'm tired of messing with them and not getting anywhere.  If anyone has any recommendation/settings to change to make it darker ( in game settings, not gamma), I'll happily tweak the modlet to make it as dark as I can.

If anyone finds another modlet that does something similar, please let me know because I am aiming for as "real" pitch black a night as I can get while still having a moon/stars.

Also: Yep, for a19 b163 there's a patch note for "Night is darker when the moon is not full".  I'm on b163.  My mod makes it even darker.  Well, not "I Am Batman" darker, but we're getting there ;)

Archived