High temp pc freeze

dowz0r

Hey everyone,

Just wondering if anyone has had similar issues with running unusually high temperatures for  CPU and GPU while playing. My temps immediately jump to mid 70's and sometimes 80C and usually within a certain period of time, sometimes an hour, sometimes less, my computer will freeze and I have to restart. I've never had an issue with any other game, temps usually stay below 70 or low 70's with other demanding games such as Bannerlord for example. 

I would say I have pretty good airflow in my PC, just bought a nice 140mm fan recently which I put directly under my GPU and this didn't seem to help at all. It is of course summer time right now and my room is pretty stuffy with bad air circulation. In the winter time I still had the same issue, but less frequent (I could play a couple of hours or so before this issue would happen). Right now I can play for maybe an hour. 

Cheers

Yeah, if your cooling isn't good this can happen quite easily. This client will tax your system more than any other.

You need to have good positive airflow, and clear out the cables that will jumble up the paths.  I went from a mess clocking up to 85C, to adding a fan, and re-directing the airflow with a cable cleanup and then it didn't go above 52C. This was on an i7-3930k that was OC'ed to 4.6/5.1GHz with two OC'ed 1060's.  Same setup I might hit 62C under really heavy load with my R9 3900X, but even then it's pretty rare that it's above the mid-50's.

I probably have before and after pics around here somewhere.  Will take me a bit to hunt them down though.

1 hour ago, SylenThunder said:

Yeah, if your cooling isn't good this can happen quite easily. This client will tax your system more than any other.

You need to have good positive airflow, and clear out the cables that will jumble up the paths.  I went from a mess clocking up to 85C, to adding a fan, and re-directing the airflow with a cable cleanup and then it didn't go above 52C. This was on an i7-3930k that was OC'ed to 4.6/5.1GHz with two OC'ed 1060's.  Same setup I might hit 62C under really heavy load with my R9 3900X, but even then it's pretty rare that it's above the mid-50's.

I probably have before and after pics around here somewhere.  Will take me a bit to hunt them down though.

Hmm, the inside of my PC is pretty dang clean, not perfect, small traces of dust in hard to reach areas, but I just recent cleaned it out. Cables are pretty well hidden. I have a 280x corsair and recently I've been seeing people having issues with the case design, and I realized myself that it's pretty inefficient. It has a very fine mesh above all the fans along with glass pane that further inhibits airflow. I'm going to remove the fine mesh and mess with the glass panes, maybe that will help. 

11 minutes ago, SylenThunder said:

Yeah, it's probably almost impossible to get a positive pressure in that case, which is what you'd need for proper cooling.

Yea, the design is a bit strange, like a meme case just for showing off or something. Wouldn't you want negative? More exhaust than intake? Air would be moving in quickly to replace the lack of air in the case, creating circulation, right? Or does it work differently in computer cases? 

3 minutes ago, dowz0r said:

Yea, the design is a bit strange, like a meme case just for showing off or something. Wouldn't you want negative? More exhaust than intake? Air would be moving in quickly to replace the lack of air in the case, creating circulation, right? Or does it work differently in computer cases? 

No, because then you don't have enough cool air coming in to keep the components cool. I've done a lot of tests, and positive pressure is the way to go.  I tried running neutral for a bit, but it ran 10C hotter than with positive pressure, and the difference between the two on my case was literally adding one fan, and flipping another.

Here's a vid that explains the three pretty well.

12 minutes ago, SylenThunder said:

No, because then you don't have enough cool air coming in to keep the components cool. I've done a lot of tests, and positive pressure is the way to go.  I tried running neutral for a bit, but it ran 10C hotter than with positive pressure, and the difference between the two on my case was literally adding one fan, and flipping another.

Here's a vid that explains the three pretty well.

Hmm, fair enough, my only reference is ventilation systems and how we ran them on large ships, so probably not entirely applicable 😂. Alright, i'll try messing with my fans then - I appreciate the help. 

5 hours ago, dowz0r said:

My temps immediately jump to mid 70's and sometimes 80C and usually within a certain period of time, sometimes an hour, sometimes less, my computer will freeze and I have to restart.

Huh? What PC and CPU is that?

I don't know any current (desktop) cpu that has a problem with 80°C.

With 90°C and more you approach the point where it becomes critical, but most times even that shouldn't cause a freeze.

Do you use any OC? Even with "just" XMP on RAM plus high temperatures might even more be a problem than just 80° on the CPU.

I suggest trying prime95 with a close look to the temps. Maybe even let it log into a file. Either the temps go way higher than 80° or the problem lies more likely somewhere else.

I haven't took a closer look to my temps while playing 7d2d but usually it stays <70° in games. However prime95 (all core) pushes it up to 89° (with atm 26° air temp). Still running my Ryzen 2700x rock stable.

And do you have any temp "security" running? In some bioses you can set a maximum temperature where the cpu should shut down.

2 hours ago, dowz0r said:

Wouldn't you want negative? More exhaust than intake? Air would be moving in quickly to replace the lack of air in the case, creating circulation, right? Or does it work differently in computer cases? 

PC cases are not airthight. So no matter if you get a positive or negative pressure, it either will leech air in or pressure out air somehwere and so immediately balance any pressure.

The only thing you want is a straight airflow and avoid any vortexes. E.g. if a case fan blows under your graphics card and there is no outlet the air gets stuck theere (some still leaving the case) but that air whirl disturbes the airflow, so you get circulating air with high temps there.

I'd have to agree with @Zombie Hunter. 70 or 80 is hot, but would not cause a crash. Something else is at fault.

Tom's Hardware tested that case and got CPU temps of 87c (62c over ambient @ 25c), which they seemed to think was no big deal.

See here for that. Corsair x280 Test.

I'd do further testing with Prime95 and Furmark. If you still suspect it's temp related, I'd start testing by removing some panels, starting

with the front panel.

Also, I don't know where you placed your new 140mm in the bottom, but you'll get better cooling if it's in the forward position (towards the front fans).

In the rear position, any positive pressure from the front fans and the rear/bottom fan can just escape via the bottom front fan position, having cooled nothing.

Archived