nVidia 1660 Super: is anyone using one? If so, how is it?

FileMachete

Been eyeballing one for a while now, but haven't yet pulled the trigger.

It's about as high as I can go using the bones of my current computer. Will only be running at 1080p.

Vid card I'm running is so old it hasn't had driver support in years, so anything still being supported would be a big step up. So that's not the question. :)

Trying to get some idea of, A) is this particular card running 7dtd at decent settings w good frame rates? B) is there another card that's either cheaper or just a bit more $ that is substantially either ~same-ish or noticibly better? Caveat to B is that the 1660 Super at 125 Watts is about all I'd feel comfortable with, power supply wise. So even if card X were 10% more $ for 20% better performance, but drew 175 Watts, I'd likely stay w the 1660 Super so as not to have to upgrade the power supply.

As an IT professional, I'll state that card is a great value. Any of the Super series is a great bang for the buck. You're going to have other choke points and it isn't just your video card alone that will give you "decent settings with good frame rates". You might consider the RTX 2060 Super, but to be honest...I think you're already on the right track. I'd stick with the 1660S.  

I don't have any clear expectations other than it being 'better' than what I have now. Which as I mentioned would be virtually impossible to fail.

(basically everything either set to Low or Off & running at 1600x900) (current monitor is a nice 1080p IPS LCD. No AMD or nVidia features)

Maybe it would be better to ask what settings they're running, from someone who's using one of these.

GTX 1660s is only part of the equation as others pointed out. You could have a 2080ti and still get horrible fps. This game isn't like any other, so you can't think of it like you would with other games. This game is a real pig on CPU, Ram, SSD and GPU performance. You need all 4 to get decent fps, which btw, even the best computers struggle with anything above 1080p, so I hope you're ok with 1080p until the devs can better optimize, if they ever do.

I personally have a Ryzen 5 1600x, 16GB of ram, GTX 1060 FTW+ 6GB and an SSD. ALl but the SSD are heavily overclocked and I'm able to run the game on medium settings with minimum 45+ fps. You could use that as a reference on what to maybe expect with a higher tier card if you have everything else to balance it. Now a GTX 1660s is not a whole lot better than mine, so I imagine that at the most, you might get maybe 10fps more than me if you have a similar computer setup with same graphics settings.

Hope this helps.

Well I currently Ryzen 3800x with 32GB of Ram, 1660 super which i bought around 6 months ago. it runs good with decent settings.  Note sure what  other hardware  you have so such as cpu and ram will effect it.  Knowing  what your system specs would be useful for people to give you advice. 

I have a 1070 which delivers similar performance to a 1660S. That's enough to run 7d2d with high settings in 1080p at stable 60fps during a regular day. Of course frame rate still drops during bloodmoons with many enemies.

But as Fox said, the gpu is just one part. You didn't name your current GPU but if it is that old that there isn't even driver support anymore it may be VERY old. If the rest of your computer is about the same age, just a new GPU may not even help you anything.

There are a lot of posts where people complain about poor performance although they have a good GPU. In the end often it turns out, they are using very old cpu like FX-8xxx or some i3-dual-core with only 8GB of RAM. And that is what causes the bad performance.

Thanks for all the replies, much appreciated!

And sorry for coming across as not too literate about hardware. It's actually at times a significant portion of what I do for a living. Guess it comes from building my own pcs since 486 days, keeping up with server tech & generally just liking the stuff.

So it's a bit odd that my personal gaming rig is so old. Life. Financial obligations, and another personal hobby, leaves little 'free' $ to indulge in new pc toys.

(and I guess part of the reason I was disinclined to provide specs was I didn't want to trigger that f a a t a l guy :) as he wound up having to put so much effort into fixing the flicking terrain bug that only hit old AMD GPUs. I still feel a little guilty bout that)

CPU:  i5-2500k  Mobo:  asus P8Z68-V  16GB Corsair Ram  Sata Samsung SSD for both OS & 7dtd  GPU:  AMD Radeon 6850 1GB

Power Supply: can't recall brand, it's on the upper end though (never skimp on your PS!). ~4 years old, 470 or 480 Watts?

CPU wise, when originally built I OC'd it to 4.5 GHz without issue and, if I recall, that was at 1.35V? I know I didn't push voltage much.

Didn't bother w RAM OC'ing much. And though there was a time early on where I ran a 4.2 GHz OC day to day (kept temps <66C) lost interest in the game I did that for and put it back to default.

I haven't run OpenHardwareMonitor against A18 yet. Last I recall running OHM was maybe back in A16 or A17? At that time CPU was less than 50% utilized, though obviously a major part of that was being so GPU bound.

So I fully understand that unless, magically, someone out there is running this same CPU with a 1660S that the best I can hope for are more general subjective opinions/experiances. And that's more than just ok, that's quite useful to me and greatly appreciated!

Not at home but in general you should see decent FPS with that rig and the 1660s

(https://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-1660-Super-Desktop-GPU-Benchmarks-and-Specs.448675.0.html)

I use the 1660ti mobile (16gb Ram with ss hd) due to my current situation and manage 45 to 60 fps outdoors with high view distance, full textures and 1080p resolution.  The snow biome kills some of my fps though.

I would definitely run that CPU at higher clock speeds which would boost it up to being roughly equivalent to my CPU. Your PSU is crowding the limits for PC upgrades though. According to one PSU calculator, you'd be crowding the 500W recommendation. If you're running a liquid cooler, then you'd be passing it. So just food for thought on that one.

Thanks @Fox and the power supply capacity was/is definately on my mind (air cooled btw). When I looked into a new vid card a couple years back it looked like anything worth having was ~230W+ and I didn't feel like that would be a good idea for my PS.

So when I wandered by anandtech and read a review for the 1660S I was suprised that it's TDP was only 125W, since my old Radeon 6850s is listed at 127W.

Doesn't mean that's how things will run real world, but it's encouraging. (or maybe it's Murphy setting a trap...lol)

If I can pull the trigger on a 1660S I'll likely do a thorough internal cleaning and reseat the cpu cooler w fresh thermal paste. Which would make me feel better about OC'ing the old dog :)

Archived