ResetPlayerSDX. A hardcore mode for 7 Days to Die! (A18.4)

KhaineGB

I know it's a little late into A18's life cycle, but I'm slow and bad at C#.

So this mod was more of a project to learn things, and also started because of a discussion over in the modding discussion section about ways to clear things on a players death. Also I personally felt the "Dead is Dead" playstyle is... odd. Okay, you died and need to delete your save. Now you just get to start a new save in the same map, so you've got a good idea where stuff is and all the POI's have respawned... and you're back on Day 1.

This changes that.

ResetPlayerSDX  will do the following on player death.

1 - Reset all skills to 0, and remove all learned books.

2 - Remove all skill points gained from resetting your progression, and any you hadn't spent.

3 - Reset player level to 1.

4 - Set the XP to Next Level amount to 11,000 (this is as close to respawning with 0XP as I could get due to vanilla doing odd calcs)
5 - Clear the players quest journal completely (active quests, completed quests, current quests, shared quests)

6 - Clears the current trader faction level, meaning you start from T1 quests again.

7 - Clear the players map completely (thank you khzmusik for this code!)
8 - Set the players land claim block to inactive (thank you HAL9000 for the help with this!)
9 - KILL the players vehicle so it despawns (thank you Mythix for the help with this!)

10 - Delete the spawn point set by the bedroll to force random world spawn.

11 - Give the player the "Go to the trader" quest on respawn. This quest will give you XP and skill points as if you had completed the tutorial once you get to the trader. It will also give you the normal "starting items" as if you just spawned into the world on completion.

What doesn't it do.

1 - It does NOT re-apply the "newbie buff" but that's easy enough for users to add in if they so wish.
2 - It does NOT generate a "safe zone" like the game would when you first spawn into the world.

3 - It does NOT remove access to player storage.

Now, the player storage. It doesn't remove access to it because cycling through all the owned blocks, and setting them to locked and unowned was really CPU intensive. Also, I realised that players who take over POI's can just use the storage in the POI and thus negate the point of removing ownership from the storage blocks (like chests). It just wasn't worth the CPU overhead.

So if you find your old base, yes you can totally get your stuff back. This is intended to be played with "Delete all on death" rather than dropping your backpack, and I hope it might provide a slightly different play experience for folks.

Files are here for anyone who wants to manually patch with DMT: https://gitlab.com/KhaineGB/khainesdx/-/archive/master/khainesdx-master.zip?path=ResetPlayerSDX

Hopefully it should be on the launcher since I put it in a git repo that was already hooked up. :)

It does not reset trader progression. I didn't consider that (in other words, i forgot)

But I will look into that.

It DOES reset gamestage since that's level + day * multiplier (and day is capped by player level, so your GS would be 2 even on day 60)

EDIT: Actually I will test it. Since it clears the quest journal it MIGHT reset trader faction since those quests are no longer logged as "done".

EDIT 2: Just clearing the journal does not clear the quest tier that the player has, so I need to look into resetting that as well.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/5/2020 at 3:26 AM, KhaineGB said:

Now, the player storage. It doesn't remove access to it because cycling through all the owned blocks, and setting them to locked and unowned was really CPU intensive. Also, I realised that players who take over POI's can just use the storage in the POI and thus negate the point of removing ownership from the storage blocks (like chests). It just wasn't worth the CPU overhead.

Can you include it but make it optional anyway? I'd like to test how much cpu usage it really causes and if this might be still acceptable for me, as it is still only calculated on death. Can you also remove those blocks completely, not just lock it?

Even if using POI-storage circumvents that, POI storage is very limited in comaprison to what we usually use by self built storage. Therfore if you want to use it, you still need to put your stuff widespread or focus far more on really important things. So imho this will still change the way to play massively.

And did i understood that right, if you e.g. die with lvl50, once you complete the trader quest again, you will regain all the XP to be lvl50 again?

And finally: Does it work in multiplayer?

I know removing player storage would still only affect storage built by the player who actually died, so you can devide it in multiplayer. But imho still a big game changer. And by this way: Would the calculation for the storage blocks happen on the server or just on the client of the player that died?

1 hour ago, Manderoni said:

I love the idea of this mod however do you know if this would work with Darkness Falls? I know darkness falls doesnt do good with other mods but id love the idea of this with DF

No it won't. It's custom code and thus would need to be compiled into DF.

25 minutes ago, Liesel Weppen said:

Can you include it but make it optional anyway? I'd like to test how much cpu usage it really causes and if this might be still acceptable for me, as it is still only calculated on death. Can you also remove those blocks completely, not just lock it?

Even if using POI-storage circumvents that, POI storage is very limited in comaprison to what we usually use by self built storage. Therfore if you want to use it, you still need to put your stuff widespread or focus far more on really important things. So imho this will still change the way to play massively.

And did i understood that right, if you e.g. die with lvl50, once you complete the trader quest again, you will regain all the XP to be lvl50 again?

And finally: Does it work in multiplayer?

I know removing player storage would still only affect storage built by the player who actually died, so you can devide it in multiplayer. But imho still a big game changer. And by this way: Would the calculation for the storage blocks happen on the server or just on the client of the player that died?

The block thing I was actually doing by trying to destroy the blocks, and holy crap my CPU was not happy. It also didn't FULLY work because it can't destroy/lock blocks in unloaded chunks.

So I decided it just wasn't worth the effort.

No, completing the trader quest won't make you level 50 again. It will just give you the 4 skill points as if you did the tutorial quest + the trader quest (otherwise you lose those).

Not tested in multiplayer. What's the point of playing it in multiplayer? Your mates could just give you a ton of items and books back and undo most of what you lost.

I don't see any reason why it WOULDN'T work, but if it destroys other players claim blocks or vehicles... you've been warned. ;)

8 minutes ago, KhaineGB said:

No it won't. It's custom code and thus would need to be compiled into DF.

The block thing I was actually doing by trying to destroy the blocks, and holy crap my CPU was not happy. It also didn't FULLY work because it can't destroy/lock blocks in unloaded chunks.

So I decided it just wasn't worth the effort.

Ah yes, ok, that are reasons i agree it is not worth it.

No, completing the trader quest won't make you level 50 again. It will just give you the 4 skill points as if you did the tutorial quest + the trader quest (otherwise you lose those).

Ok, that sounds really hard.

Not tested in multiplayer. What's the point of playing it in multiplayer? Your mates could just give you a ton of items and books back and undo most of what you lost.

That's why asked for removing the storages anyway.

But what i am looking for is a real death penalty without stopping the whole game like when doing dead-is-dead. And even if they could give you items back, they need to store those items somewhere. And the player that died still loses all his XP and learned books.

I mean, i had players, that on day 5 told "i'm almost starving, do we have food?" ... "No food left, if you need food that bad, we should search for food" ... "Never mind then, i'll just die and respawn with full stomach"...

And that mod imho gives you a real incent to really not die easily, even if the storage removal doesn't work.

It probably wouldn't work well for MP just because of the fact that other players can give you back all your waypoints (because it does wipe the map) and a ton of items.

But feel free to give it a try if you like. It would still make death more punishing and stop folks doing what you describe... yeah you can respawn and get a full stomach, but you lose all your skills, your books, respawn at level 1, don't get to respawn on your bed AND you don't even get the newbie buff or the "safe zone" that a new player would get. ;)

Archived