How to change settings in xml files independently for multiple saved games

Kyonshi

What i wanna know exactly is how can i have certain xml values changed for a single saved game while having them remain original in another game?

Like, i have saved game #1 and saved game #2. In #1, i wanna change the values of the xml file "Spawning", which regulates the number of Zs roaming randomly on the map and their respawn rate, to have more Zs. On the game #2, i wanna keep those settings aformentioned remain unchanged or again, with completely different values. But it isnt possible because once the values are changed, it applies for all save files without distinction.

Is there anything existing in mods or modlets that can achieve what i wanna obtain?

There is a mod loader program that can do that, if you put your edits into a modlet. You can pick and choose which mods to activate for which game, including your own home-grown modlets. That's about all I know about it, though - I gave it a try and it was too sophisticated for the task I was trying to accomplish. You can find details in the mods forum, if someone else here doesn't fill you in.

If you just want them both to just have some basic xml file changes you could do what I and other do. If you have room on your drive just make a copy of your vanilla game folder and then apply changes to the copy. For instance on my C drive I have a folder called 7DTD. In that folder I have copied multiple copies of my game folder from the steam folder. When I played RH I had one called 7DTD RH. I could have another one called 7DTD Sm Changes with some minor xml tweaks. I do that for how ever many different version I want to try. I've had sometimes 6 or 7 different copies at one time. I then just make a shortcut on my desktop to each exe file in each game folder and name it accordingly. Which ever one I want to play at a certain time then I just have to start the appropriate game.

Another option (if you don't have the extra room for basically 2 copies of the game)

Make your mod using xpath, which requires you to put it in a mod folder.

Make two character profiles.

The one you use for your Vanilla game, with that character.

The other for the Modded game., with the other character.

When you play your vanilla game: pull the mod folder out.

When you play the Modded: put the mod folder in.

edit: basically like what Boidster said, but without needing the mod loader program.

14 hours ago, Gamida said:

If you have room on your drive just make a copy of your vanilla game folder and then apply changes to the copy. For instance on my C drive I have a folder called 7DTD. In that folder I have copied multiple copies of my game folder from the steam folder. When I played RH I had one called 7DTD RH.

IIRC, this is essentially what the mod loader program does. Manages all of the game copies and mod assignments for you.

Yes I think so. I used it first when sphereii put it out and I had some problems with it. Sphereii spent a lot of time trying to help me figure it out but we never quite did. His later versions seemed to work quite well for me but by then I was set in my ways lol. I would also have mentioned his program to the OP but you had beaten me too it so I just gave him an alternative he could try if he wanted to.

Archived