feature request - toggle run mode

mcdon

Requesting a run mode toggle option. Holding down the shift button for multiple play sessions is wearing out my pinky. The controller already has a run toggle by pressing down the tumbstick. I think Caps Lock would be a natural candidate for a run toggle, since it's generally a toggle for shift anyway.

In some random posts on the topic of run toggle, other people responded with a variation of "tough it out" or "less immersive". If I wanted running to be a pain, I'd get off the computer and go run in real life. Running doesn't have to be a pain in the game. If the run toggle is optional, the purists could avoid it if they like.

Only issue with a run toggle is the fact that you usually run out of stamina, quickly at early game, then it's useless. One option I could suggest, though it would probably bug you when not running the game, is you could set sticky keys on in windows itself. Probably could turn sticky keys on and off easily, I don't know as I never use it. A run toggle may have never been put in due to the extra coding involved since running is tied to a finite stat meter that once depleted would cause you to stop running. As far as I can tell, anything that can be toggled like sneak, flashlight, or aiming can stay toggled until cancelled by another action (direct input). I think that all inputs are all direct in that light, which makes for less coding necessary. Hope this helps

@redneckraccoon When using the controller on PC, clicking the left stick acts as a run toggle. I'm requesting this feature be applied to keyboard input as well. It could be done as a separate key so it doesn't interfere with the default shift run behavior.

Some may feel I should get over it and just use a controller. I doubt I'm alone in my preference for using keyboard and mouse controls.

even broke down and found a usb foot pedal
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0753CSGTK

got one pedal set as a shift key for running, and another as left click for mining, chopping trees, etc

foot pedal.jpg

When you click down on the stick on the controller, do you have to hold that down or let up on the click in the stick (sorry, couldn't resist the rhyme) as you move to continue running? If you have to hold it down still to continue running, it's a continuous input. I like that pedal peripheral, I think I might be ordering one of those for a few of my other games that I think I would benefit from having it. Can you tell me how hard the pedals press? As for controller vs. keyboard/mouse rivalry, I say play with what is most comfortable. I prefer controller for some games (like racing), but overall prefer keyboard/mouse for most. 

I know it’s not built in, but some hardware companies (like Logitech) provide extra software where a macro can be programmed.  I have Auto run, and stop, both programmed.  It works awesome for vehicles, but even if you can’t sustain running, it still keeps you going without holding any buttons.  

Here is the macro I use:

Run

- Shift key Down

- Delay (50 ms)

- “W” key Down

Stop

- “W” key Up

- Delay (50 ms)

- Shift key Up

I have an MMO mouse with buttons on the thumb, but have these programmed to any two keys. They are each activated by 1 click.  

On 5/10/2020 at 4:10 PM, redneckraccoon said:

Only issue with a run toggle is the fact that you usually run out of stamina

the point would be less for actual running, but more for taking off on a cross map road trip on the motorcycle, etc..

@redneckraccoon On the controller you click the stick to run. You don't have to continually hold it down to run. The pedals aren't hard to press, and spring back nicely.

After using the bundled software to set keys for the pedals, the settings are stored in the firmware. It will keep it's setting if you move it to another machine. The downside is I don't see a way to setup profiles for multiple games. You'd probably need to adjust key settings in each game to get it working smoothly across multiple games.

14 hours ago, 12pack said:

the point would be less for actual running, but more for taking off on a cross map road trip on the motorcycle, etc..

Then you want a cruise control toggle instead of a run toggle? Now that does make more sense, and I like that idea. Sorry I didn't register that in the 1st reply you made in this thread.

12 hours ago, mcdon said:

After using the bundled software to set keys for the pedals, the settings are stored in the firmware. It will keep it's setting if you move it to another machine. The downside is I don't see a way to setup profiles for multiple games. You'd probably need to adjust key settings in each game to get it working smoothly across multiple games.

I can deal with key settings, as the games I was considering are using similar buttons for similar functions that I have a slight issue hitting. Thank you for enlightening me of their existence. I guess it was something I never even thought of. It's really cool how there is such a variety of solutions to common problems if you just know where to look

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Not to bump an oldish thread but to make a suggestion for key bindings of the "pedals" across multiple games. Bind the actions to a key you rarely use like [ or = and set that as your key in the in each game for what action you want the pedals to perform. Personally, I wish 7DtD allowed multiple key binds for each action, 2 is plenty. I too have a gaming mouse with lots of buttons.

Archived