Motion Sensor only works partially ...

The Loooser

Hi there!

I recognized that sometimes the Motion Sensor did not trigger the power supply. Then I tested a little bit around and found that it only triggers the supply, if you also can see it yourself.

So the direct eye contact is the trigger moment, just like "if I cant see you then you cant see me" when little kids are hiding.

Now this is a problem, because the detection is 100 % only linked to your face. This means if you are standing completely in sight, but have a 5 cm bar in front of your eyes, then the motion sensor will not trigger. Even if you are just 1 m directly IN FRONT of the motion sensor, with 99,9 % of your other body parts revealed.

Thats kind of a problem also for zombie defenses, as Motion Sensors will not trigger base defenses, if you built 1 little bar in 2 blocks height, which is exactly at the face level and therefore your defenses will become useless lol ... only way is to not link them to a motion sensor which highly increases power uptake and therefore makes motion sensor useless.

Sounds good to me, you can now make a puzzle-like entrance.. one camera that requires you to stand on a very specific spot and another that requires you to jump 5 meters earlier.. :)

Or maybe you can limit the use of a blade trap to the exact moment a zed's head is in the blade. Give it a whirl :)

Nope, we have a horde setup where we can´t see the motion sensor and it still works. Are you sure you set the trigger to zombies? Default settings for triggering are self and allies. I guess that is your problem. If you access the motion sensor there is icons on the top where you can set what triggers it.

I think what he means is (I have not tested it myself), that the target of the sensor must have line-of-sight to the sensor. So if you set it to trigger on zombies, then the zombies (possibly) need to have LOS to the sensor or it won't trigger. A block at head height on the zombies, for example, might block the motion sensor even though the sensor can clearly see the zombies' feet.

BRB...doing science.

Can confirm Looser's tests. It's not quite line-of-sight, because there are situations where you can stand in front of the sensor and see it clearly, but enough of the top-half of your character is blocked that the sensor won't trigger.

Also tested with zombies, giving them a short path to get to me where for the first few blocks their torso/head were blocked completely (no blocks at foot/knee level though) and then a few blocks where there was a wooden pole (centered) running horizontally at head height. So from the POV of the sensor it looked like this, with zombies spawning behind these blocks and traveling L->R to get to the open gap (and to me).

(# is full block; = is wooden pole (centered))

####===  ##
#         #

The motion sensor did not trigger (even though 50-90% of their bodies were visible) until they got around the poles. Interestingly, if they stopped and tried to break the pole, the sensor would blip on and off as they went through their attack motion.

Also tested Spiders. The sensor could see them the entire time since their bodies were below the LOS-blocking blocks.

Exactly and this is quite shitty : /

Because let's say you make a slit where you shoot through with Turrets that are triggered by that Motion Sensor ...

And to maximize the slit of course you use "Wet Concrete Pole".

Then you make it horizontal and on the top of the voxel.

Set a 1. layer on the ground and then a 2. layer on top of it - Zombies wont get through, but still 90 % of their body is revealed for turret fire.

Then there is a veeeerrry high chance that if the motion sensor is also placed on the 2. layer height then it will have exactly that 5 cm concrete bar in front of the zombies eyes.

I did not test it with zombies, but with myself. And it did not trigger anything ... and I was like ... 90 % visible or lets say 99 % loooool, this is just bad for the motion sensor ... I mean its like having a black bar over the eyes, like criminals in magazines and this would make you invisible wtf?

You can view it as terrible, sure, but you could also just see it for what it is, a feature. Want to use a shotgun turret to get rid of spiders since you hate them? Their head is lower than any other. Want to make sure your blade trap doesn't make demos go *beep*? Line up a head detector, stop the trap if the victim isn't standing. Want to use a camera for whatever you're trying right now? Just move the damn thing... :)

Archived