Magazine & Schematics Skillpoints, E to Pickup Plants, 1Day Trader Refresh

ShoudenKalferas

This post is for three different modlets that I find useful and run on my own server. All three are stored in the same Github repository, but are not related and can be used individually or together.

Magazine_Schematics_Skillpoint :: This Modlet modifies all Magazines & Schematics to give a quest called quest_Skill_Point_Reward, that auto-completes to give the player a skillpoint. The idea is that if you gain knowledge through reading, you should also gain a skill point. "Read" a magazine to gain a Skillpoint. "Use" a magazine to learn it.

Pickup_Plants_A18 :: This Modlet modifies all plants so that you can simple hit the E key to pick them up. This makes it super-easy to walk around a field of flowers and quickly pick all of them without having to swing your weapon or punch them. Mushrooms work now!

Trader_Refresh_1Day :: This Modlet modifies the trader so that their inventory refreshes and changes EACH DAY.

Current Release: https://github.com/XelaNull/7DTD-Magazine_Plants_Trader/archive/A19_1.1.zip

I've been wanting to do up an E to Pickup but don't have to now, thanks!:smile-new:

I did notice that there is a warning on loading about one of the mushroom entries. Says it didn't apply the patch to the entry with 'foodCropMushrooms' so not sure that entry is needed since you can still pick mushrooms up? No biggy, everything still works. Just wanted to pass along what I saw.

phearfactor -- If you would be so kind as to link me to the mod, I'll check it out and see. My modlet specifically ONLY adjusts the refresh of the trader. So as long as their mod isn't also adjusting the same value, they should be compatible.

Outsida92 -- Thanks for the heads up. I'll take a look. I ran into a bunch of mushrooms I had to punch to pick up, so I added that in thinking I had the right item name. But its looking like maybe I didn't grab the right one?

I've also got a few more small Modlets I'll be adding in the next release:

- 60 Slot bag, with 30 given initially to player. This is also designed to work with the perks to grant up to an additional 20 slots. The intention is to still allow encumbrance even at the highest perk levels.

- Headshot 25% Increase. I find that the default settings for the game don't really grant enough of a bonus for headshots. This scales upawrd with the difficulty of the game.

- Zombie Lootbag Increase. This markedly increases the chances of zombies to drop a lootbag and also ensures the lootbags stick around at least 15 minutes before disappearing.

Outsida92 -- Thanks for the heads up. I'll take a look. I ran into a bunch of mushrooms I had to punch to pick up, so I added that in thinking I had the right item name. But its looking like maybe I didn't grab the right one?

Change 'foodCropMushrooms' to 'mushroom01' and it should work.:smile-new:

Hi Shouden: A quick comment if I may: I've been running your mod for a week or so now, and like it - it's a very nice add-on for the game: it should have been done by the Pimps a long time ago! However - (and this might have been fixed in 3_1.3 - I have 3_1.0) - as I progressed in the game (I'm now around Level 40, Game Stage 64 or so) I didn't see my plant pickups increase as the "Living off the Land" skills moved up: i.e. in the early game, I picked up one Yucca, (for e.g.) - and got one Yucca in my inventory: at Level 40 and GS 64, with "Living off the land at Skill 4 - I still only got one Yucca. This changed to three immediately on removal of the mod and going back to punching plants. This applied to all of the applicable plants, and I can do it consistently by disabling/re-enabling the mod. I've looked at the mod, and the other xml's (like the materials.xml) and it looks more complex than my skills can handle. It seems that the mod shouldn't affect the progression, and should work properly as you've and Ragsy have written. I think this is probably just me and the other mods I'm using, but has anyone else noticed this?

Thanks,

pj

pj, Admittedly this is a bit puzzling to see as this mod really only adds a new Class to the plants and I don't believe it should affect progression. But I have not specifically tested this, so with your report here I'll set myself to reproducing this. As long as I can reproduce this, I believe I should be able to come up with fix. I'll reply back a bit later today with what I find.

Ok Shouden: Sorry to make work! It is puzzling! I've been modding this game myself for a couple of years now, and am kinda baffled as to why its doing this: I looked at the progression, materials, blocks, items xmls - also the xml.txt, but nothing jumped out at me as an easy answer. I hope you can find it, as it really is a good and worthwhile mod. Thanks for the quick reply too.

pj

pj -- As best as I can see, it looks like the perk is applied through the entity class for meleeHandPlayer. So not striking the plant causes the perk not to apply. The class CropsGrown does have a modifier that can provide more or less items on harvest based on how fertile the land is below it.. but that's not what we're looking for. On top of this, blocks (Which plants are), don't appear to have any effect_groups, so I don't see any obvious way to modify the perk directly.

Salvage is the closest thing I can think of to this, but with salvage you use a wrench, so the perk is applied through that. With harvestable/plantable crops, the hands as a melee item are modified to apply the perk. :(

I don't claim to be an XPath expert, but it seems this may be a limitation. :(

I've asked around on Discord and to Ragsy and DUST2DEATH in hopes that maybe someone else sees something that I don't. It seems that when you apply the Class CropsGrown, the only way to modify the quantity of items harvested is through the property CropsGrown.BonusHarvestDivisor, which only is used for modification to HarvestCount based on how fertile the land is that the plant was grown on/in.

I did want to point out even if we don't find a way to add modification of this via the perk.. this is still vastly faster than using a tool or hands to punch plants individually. I'm able to work through clearing an entire patch generally in seconds due to being able to hit E repeatedly very quickly. In my eyes, this does make up for some of the fact that the perk doesn't modify this specific value. It IS possible to leave the mod enabled and leave yourself the choice to either hit E or to swing/punch.

Waaal, I feel a bit less stupid now! Thank you guys - I didn't expect you to pop in, Khaine: a pleasure. I had your DF + HDHQ all the way through 17, and got great pleasure playing it.

I agree with your last post, Shouden - your reasoning is mine too, and is the way I have it now. I like 18 very much, the progression being very much better, and am using Magoli's GREAT CompoPack CP42 World, with it's plethora of very diverse buildings and cities - even airports.

Thank you both for your work, and for your responses here.

pj

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived