Having FPS issues all of a sudden, I wasn't before a few days ago.

gamemeister

I was getting at least 40-50 FPS a few days ago with everything on medium settings (pretty good imo since my laptop is like 7 years old, can't afford to get an upgrade rn) but now since Monday I've been unable to get above 10 FPS no matter what settings I change except quality, but even setting that to 480p (lowest it can go) only gets me about 25 FPS at most. The day before I was able to play just fine with 40-50 FPS as I said.

After some tests I've found that nothing makes a difference. Being inside a building or outside makes little to no difference. As someone mentioned on Reddit going between fullscreen and windowed makes no difference. I tried starting new world's (on both the stable build and the latest experimental) no difference there either. Gfx af 0 and gfx pp ssr 0 did nothing as well. I've tried on the latest experimental build and the terrain quality feature that was just added makes no difference as well.

I'm really lost as to what's going on so I'd appreciate any suggestions of any kind. I'd say it's unlikely that it's my computer because I wasn't having trouble before a few days ago and nothing's changed since then but I know next to nothing about computers so it could be.

You didnt change biomes by chance? The snow and desert biomes cause significant fps drops for older video cards. I havent tried 18.2 yet but know they added a terrain slider that helps lower end machines.

No, I didn't change biomes. It happens in all biomes from my testing. I've been doing tests to try and figure it out but haven't been able to so far.

- - - Updated - - -

I would double check the resolution setting for the game. More often than not for me, when there is an update, the resolution reverts to the resolution of my desktop even though all of the other settings remain as I had them.

Hmm. I'll check that then.

Are you monitoring your CPU/GPU temperatures? Do you regularly clean your laptop's insides? I.e. open it up and use compressed air to remove dust from the CPU/GPU fans?

My old laptop was a pretty powerful machine, but it would grind to a halt if GPU temp reached a certain threshold.

Yo, you have to remember that the pimps implemented texture streaming in a18. That means that even if your GPU is strong, if you choose to stream your textures, then any decrease in your bandwidth will decrease your fps. For example, my motherboard is dying so my ethernet connection regularly drops from 200 mpbs to 40 mpbs. Whenever this happens I see a massive drop in FPS. So, double check your connection and run speedtest regularly to make sure that's not the issue.

Archived