BOOM HEAD... shot? HEY! No fair!

Xane Tempest

BOOM HEAD... shot? HEY! No fair!  

65 members have voted

1. 1. BOOM HEAD... shot? HEY! No fair!

• Yes, I think so
    • No. I don't think so
    • Don't know/care, just want to see the results.

I think it is fairly obvious that melee in general is not working at all correctly in A18, never mind headshots. Anyone who mines a lot will have seen the same effect with your Pick. You can have your cursor sitting right over that block of iron. It's dead centre, no question, yet when you swing your Pick, you hit a block off to the side. I mean MILES off depending on how close you are!!!

If that same algorithm is used when you swing a club at a zombie head, it's no surprise that it misses a LOT, as it's obviously bugged to all hell.

It definately doesnt feel right, no matter if it is working right.

yesterday i played coop for the first time, and I saw my mate trying to hit zombies, and the weapon was passing right through them and hitting the wall behind. Sure, he probably wasnt aiming the reticle fine since it was his first time playing, but that's just terrible mechanic, both gameplaywise and compared to how it would really work.

I think, the typical mele combat where the weapon has physics and the game checks if it collides with the enemy somewhere in the swing arc, may be pretty hard to code, and they just did some easier implementation where they check if the reticle is on an enemy at a specific moment during your swing. No idea if this is true, but it sure looks like it. Mele physics is the thing that works worst in this game IMO.

I'm just going for the legs and then bashing the heads, its too hard to hit moving heads with as bad hit detection as A18 melee and glancing blows do nothing, but ensure you hit allies.

OOOHHHHH!!!!! thats why my friend keeps beating the crap out of me when we are looting together. They need to fix that.

OOOHHHHH!!!!! thats why my friend keeps beating the crap out of me when we are looting together. They need to fix that.

Need to watch out for that, as DoT effects (fire, bleed, electricity) will land on allies even from accidental glancing blows.

On the topic, it feels many times that the hit is happening on the other side of the zombie. Detectable by damaging blocks behind them. Something about us having such long melee range (it's practically telekinesis) might be involved here.

As with most first versions in this game, glancing blows are broken and the devs probably know it already. In the following

(minute 28:24) you can see how the glancing blow completely ignores the zombie right in front, and knocks down the one behind it instead (with delayed reaction as well).

Archived