So why do shotgun ammo buff enemy armor?

Scyris

Topic, its bad enough shotguns are very short range, but you wanna make them crap vs anything with armor? O_o. Kinda unfair don't ya think? Shotgun already suffers from low clip size and pretty much point blank range. Not to mention they lack AP ammo as well thats not super expensive to make.

well, to be honest, shotguns are crap against armor, they were never meant for it...they were for hunting and soft targets, slugs fix the accuracy issue a bit, and I think its possible (not 100% sure, I don't use shottys in 7DTD) the breaching rounds might negate armor a bit? (I have no idea on this, but it would make sense as they are for breaking through tough stuff)

well, to be honest, shotguns are crap against armor, they were never meant for it...they were for hunting and soft targets, slugs fix the accuracy issue a bit, and I think its possible (not 100% sure, I don't use shottys in 7DTD) the breaching rounds might negate armor a bit? (I have no idea on this, but it would make sense as they are for breaking through tough stuff)

I'd use slugs but the mat cost to make them just is not worth it tbh.

Topic, its bad enough shotguns are very short range, but you wanna make them crap vs anything with armor? O_o. Kinda unfair don't ya think? Shotgun already suffers from low clip size and pretty much point blank range. Not to mention they lack AP ammo as well thats not super expensive to make.

Shotgun slug shells do not suffer vs armor but they are rarely needed. The only enemies with strong enough armor to worry about the +40% armor buff buckshot gives are soldiers and demolishers. You can kill normal sodliers with 2 headshots with buckshot at 3/5 boomstick, which requires 5 points in strength and then 3 in boomstick. Everything else is 20% armor and a 40% buff to that only makes it 28%. That means if you kill a 280 hp biker (20% armor) you'll need to do 358 damage instead of 336. That same biker you'll also kill in 2 headshots at 3/5 boomstick. This test was done with a quality 3 crafted double barrel using pellets. No mods.

If you suck at head shots then be patient and take two careful shots right into their chest to knock them down, maybe 3 if needed from the pump. Then switch to melee and finish them of before they get up. You should have no problem with either soliders or bikers. Demolishers you'll want slugs for and aim for headshots and are the one enemy you actually need slugs against before ferals and rads. If you're facing alot of ferals and rads, you should have more than enough resources for slugs at that stage of the game since you have miner69er and motherload in your skill tree.

Archived