General Skills - Why Gated?

OneOldBlockHead

The new perk tree is cool as far as separating the weapons under attributes and creating sort-of classes. However, I see no sense in putting general skills under attributes at all in this system. So I wanted to play a spear build but that means until a higher level I have to harvest materials like a worm because I don't have points to also spec into strength for the harvesting perks or to even cook myself some decent food. Since I'm stabbing zombies in the face with my spear and getting punched every so often I can't auto heal because I don't have the points to also spec into fortitude.

All I'm saying is: Please make the general stuff available to every spec/class/attribute build whenever we want to grab them. If I want to build my base and be a chef at level 10 I should be able to.

then put some points into str just to unlock the 2nd thing for chef that's only 3 points total. you don't need perks to build a base go out and look for the stuff to build it with like I did. if finding stuff or the game is to difficult then bump loot to 200% and play in scavenger.

I honestly don't know how people can play without spreading points around. I use a generic build I end up doing. I end up with 2 str (3 with cigar), 3 miner 69'er, 3 mother load, 3 fortitude, 2 healing factor, and 1 in living off the land. Then I pick what weapon type I wanna use and go from there. This game I went agility, with deep cuts and gunslinger.

I also suggested before that there should be a general skills pool with stuff like miner 69'er/motherload and a few others in it but meh.

My first 4 points usually go like this: 1 str, 2 into miner 69'er, and then the last one into my weapon of choice, or into healing factor.

You can put points in level 1 perks without spending anything in the attribute and that's where nearly all of the general stuff is.

You can get all the cooking essentials with 1 point in Master Chef. You can make ♥♥♥♥ty iron tools (good enough for early game until you find better) with 1 point in 69er. You can make your forge with 1 point in Engineering. That still leaves one point for a weapon skill and that's before you level up at all.

The only general thing that requires any deeper investment is bicycle crafting, but that's 1 point in Int and 1 point for the perk so you can have it by level 3. Unless you're actively avoiding getting XP, you should have that in no time. Plus, if you're getting some good looting done, you're bound to find schematics for at least some of those things, possibly saving you a point.

I think the OP's complaint was totally valid in A17, but 18 fixed it very nicely for me.

The only general thing that requires any deeper investment is bicycle crafting, but that's 1 point in Int and 1 point for the perk so you can have it by level 3. Unless you're actively avoiding getting XP, you should have that in no time.

No you can't because you need a workbench to make the Bicycle. So you need Int 4 -> Advanced Engineering 2

No you can't because you need a workbench to make the Bicycle. So you need Int 4 -> Advanced Engineering 2

There are so many POIs with workbenches in them now, it's just a matter of finding one that works. Of course if you're playing a RWG map with ♥♥♥♥ty POI variety, that might be an issue, but in Navezgane it's no problem at all.

The new perk tree is cool as far as separating the weapons under attributes and creating sort-of classes. However, I see no sense in putting general skills under attributes at all in this system. So I wanted to play a spear build but that means until a higher level I have to harvest materials like a worm because I don't have points to also spec into strength for the harvesting perks or to even cook myself some decent food. Since I'm stabbing zombies in the face with my spear and getting punched every so often I can't auto heal because I don't have the points to also spec into fortitude.

All I'm saying is: Please make the general stuff available to every spec/class/attribute build whenever we want to grab them. If I want to build my base and be a chef at level 10 I should be able to.

I agree to a point. I think its fine leaving general skills in each tree,TFP should just reduce the requirement. Having max 10 points strength seems a little high in order to max cooking. I would like to see it reduced to five or six points required to max cooking and other general skills.

I like the trees as far as the separation of crafting quality tiers and weapon skills, but like OP, I don't like having to pump a stat that I don't use the weapons for, to get a general perk.

making me feel like I just wasted points in that stat.

I I like an idea similar to old school Ultima Online, where the perks have a governing stat, and the more you invest in the tree for that stat, the more you gain the stat, and therefore increase your general effectiveness there.

This would allow you to pick up other perks more easily, and still keep a little specialized effectiveness on weapon trees

Also, I'm a proponent for more separating out some of these combo perks and making more to choose from to further differentiate each character by the smaller incremental perk decisions.

I don't want every person to have the same build, or a cookie cutter build for "the best setup" I just don't like feeling forced into a weapon type to get a maxed general perk.

You can put points in level 1 perks without spending anything in the attribute and that's where nearly all of the general stuff is.

You can get all the cooking essentials with 1 point in Master Chef. You can make ♥♥♥♥ty iron tools (good enough for early game until you find better) with 1 point in 69er. You can make your forge with 1 point in Engineering. That still leaves one point for a weapon skill and that's before you level up at all.

The only general thing that requires any deeper investment is bicycle crafting, but that's 1 point in Int and 1 point for the perk so you can have it by level 3. Unless you're actively avoiding getting XP, you should have that in no time. Plus, if you're getting some good looting done, you're bound to find schematics for at least some of those things, possibly saving you a point.

I think the OP's complaint was totally valid in A17, but 18 fixed it very nicely for me.

I'd not even spend the points tbh, you do not need the recipe to put a vechicle together, you only need it to make the parts, however, you can buy the parts off trader, or, find schmatics to craft them. I had a minibike on day 5 in my current game, and a motorcycle by day 8. Found minibike chassic schematic, made one then trader stocked handlebars, so I bought those and got the rest of the mats, and made my minibike. I have 0 points in int and just 1 in adv engineering for the forge+the 20% crafting speed boost in said forge. Motorcycle was 20k dukes, but I found the cigar book, and found a barter potion so I got it down to 14k.

Its why I love A18, the fact your not reliant on learning to skills to craft things, its all about going out and looting stuff now. I also do not have the cooking perk, as its day 9 and i've not had to cook a single thing yet.

Archived