Server rental for a noob

Sappystreetbum

So far I'm really enjoying this build and am contemplating renting a sever.

Is there anyone who can give me an idea of what it's like to manage a server, who to rent from, and if i should wait for the stable build or not?

Any other advice is welcome.

Thanks in advance :)

Personally: If you're going to be spending money on a regular basis, perhaps wait for stable. Also, unless you're opening the server to the wide open public, there's not much required in managing a server. Maybe the occasional recovery of a bike that glitched under the terrain or something

Personally: If you're going to be spending money on a regular basis, perhaps wait for stable. Also, unless you're opening the server to the wide open public, there's not much required in managing a server. Maybe the occasional recovery of a bike that glitched under the terrain or something

Thanks for the insight vedrit.

Also, do you think it's worth it to have it hosted on an ssd, have additional memory, or cpu priority? Or are the basics sufficient.

Thanks for the insight vedrit.

Also, do you think it's worth it to have it hosted on an ssd, have additional memory, or cpu priority? Or are the basics sufficient.

If you're restarting it frequently, an SSD might be nice, but otherwise it's probably not worth the cost. As for the others, depends on what "basic" is. I've got a hefty server (32 cores, 64GB RAM) but it doesn't scratch the surface of it.

If you're restarting it frequently, an SSD might be nice, but otherwise it's probably not worth the cost. As for the others, depends on what "basic" is. I've got a hefty server (32 cores, 64GB RAM) but it doesn't scratch the surface of it.

I host with Nitrado (apologies if im not supposed to say that).

Currently running A18 fine.

Used them for a couple of years now and all good most of the time

Adr :)

My advice - Just build a host system and host it yourself. All you need is a cpu with a halfway decent core speed, 16GB of RAM and you're done. I host 7 Days to Die, Ark, and Atlas simultaneously and I can host 32 clients without issue on a custom 12K map. I do use an SSD, but it's just for local performance.

My advice - Just build a host system and host it yourself. All you need is a cpu with a halfway decent core speed, 16GB of RAM and you're done. I host 7 Days to Die, Ark, and Atlas simultaneously and I can host 32 clients without issue on a custom 12K map. I do use an SSD, but it's just for local performance.

Are you suggesting hosting on a separate machine or the one your playing.

vedrit how much does your server cost per month?

See below:

A decent gaming computer can host a stable server without much issue.

Are you suggesting hosting on a separate machine or the one your playing.

You -can- host on the same machine, but depending on your specs, you may not have the CPU power or RAM capactiy

Really don't need much but I'd recommend a separate computer from your gaming rig. Core count only maters if your going to host multiple games. Clock speed of the CPU is more important. Skimp on the video card or just use the motherboard video. SSD helps and 16GB of ram will do you good. I just took my old gaming MB and stuffed it in an old box. Cheep SSD and onboard video, done and works fine. Is it cheaper, no, but you have the control if you take a bit of time knowing how to set up the ports and maintain a game server. Best advantage is you are not at the mercy of a hosting site and when they update or the config you need.

I just took my old gaming MB and stuffed it in an old box. Cheep SSD and onboard video, done and works fine. Is it cheaper, no, but you have the control if you take a bit of time knowing how to set up the ports and maintain a game server. Best advantage is you are not at the mercy of a hosting site and when they update or the config you need.

If you are like me and upgrade your computer but can never find a place that will recycle electronics, re-using them as a server is fantastic. I did that until I had money to buy proper server components.

I have a 1950x; 32 core 64 threads at 4 ghz, and 32GB ram.

Shouldn't have any problem running both the game and hosting a server with that, then. Just make sure to have your ports forwarded so people outside your local network can join (assuming you're playing with people from far away)

• 5 weeks later...
Shouldn't have any problem running both the game and hosting a server with that, then. Just make sure to have your ports forwarded so people outside your local network can join (assuming you're playing with people from far away)

I'm back, sorry. I'm having trouble with the port forwarding. I've set up the static ip. forwarded 26900-26903 udp and 26900 tcp on the router and firewall as inbound rules. However; friends on other networks can't see the server. Am i missing something?

Archived