Dishong Tower Challenge Mod

jaxaceron

Made a simple mod in the spirit of the Dishong Tower Challenge. The idea is that you have to survive in Dishong Tower using only what you can find inside since the area outside is heavily irradiated. Your goal is to live long enough to be able to build a gyrocopter, get to the roof and fly away to theoretical safety. With that in mind I've made a custom map that spawns you right on the door step of the tower. You can go wherever you like, however once you cross the street you are in the radiation zone that normally guards the boundaries of the map and you will begin to take damage. Prepare yourself, enter the tower, and survive.

A17.4_2019-09-18_20-05-04.thumb.jpg.8e376c345e66922b532a58d0730b920e.jpg

A17.4_2019-09-18_20-06-11.thumb.jpg.0bdbe67e08d5e30b32c34dce9958967b.jpg

To prevent the mod from being too grindy with the gyrocopter being your end game I have removed all level gating from the perk system. You can buy any perk as long as you have the required stats and skill points. I have also added a recipe to allow the player to craft headlights (one of the difficult to acquire resources from inside the tower that are needed for the gyrocopter) which is locked behind the first level of the Advanced Engineering perk. You start with a stone axe in addition to your normal starting gear.

Installation

I'm not knowledgeable enough to use xpath yet, so the mod requires you to replace some config files. Download file here.

Simply place the Data folder from the compressed file into your 7 Days to Die folder and allow it to replace the existing files.

New Game

When starting a new game, make sure to select the "Dishong Tower" world or you'll have to go find it yourself.

A17.4_2019-09-18_20-06-44.thumb.jpg.c88dfb483964353cc663f37463bc7f70.jpg

Big thanks to Guppycur for his awesome

on map editing, and to JaWoodle who was the first person I saw try the Dishong Challenge, giving me this idea.

Nice idea!

Same question as devolver; that thing really has the mats? I can/could clear it in a day. I can see not getting a wrench and being totally hosed. :)

But I love the idea... You can then take the copter to another non irradiated part of the map for another quest. :)

There are a few shortages that I ran into when I tried the challenge, food, springs, and engines. I did it before I made the mod, when the rule was that you're just not supposed to leave the tower. I had to break that rule on day 8 to run to the trader in order to sell him some items to get more tokens to use in the vending machines in order to buy food, and wrench some cars on the way to get engines and springs. Other than that one time, I never left the tower (except where you need to go outside on the climb up). I was at a stable survival point before I quit the game because I didn't want to have to grind levels to 120 just to unlock the gyro. A farm is a must, seeds can be found in garbage containers, so between those, farming perks, and toilet water you can survive. I did have loot set to 200%, but I had so many wrenches it was ridiculous after one pass through every floor. All those sinks...

There is not, but you can do short runs into the radiation and survive, longer maybe if you have the right perks and healing items. That was not "allowed" in the original challenge that I've seen people do.

Well, the rule was that you were only allowed to leave the tower on every 30th day to visit the trader or gather resources that would be difficult or impossible to find in the tower. But since you've modded some things like the headlight recipe, it could be workable. You could probably make it so that you can sell items in the vending machines.

You could probably make it so that you can sell items in the vending machines.

I've toyed with the idea of converting the vending machines to use Old Cash, since it's a more plentiful drop and/or changing the loot lists to drop currency usable in the vending machines instead of trader only items like silver, gold, and diamonds. However, the real solution to having a food shortage in the challenge is to focus on the endurance perks early and built yourself a farm as early as possible. You can live on baked potatoes and water from the pool on the 6th floor.

Archived