Make Zombies Random Again

Adamofangels

I'm not sure if the devs will read this, or that they'll think much of it if they do, but, I used to play this game religiously until the zombie spawns were introduced. Its a COMPLETELY different game with them. It used to be terrifying not knowing whether or not a zombie would be in a building, but the promise of good loot was enough to keep you committed anyway. Now, its a matter of mustering up the nerve to take on several zombies in every room + a boss or two at the end, every single time, and it no longer feels like a survival simulation, so much as a dungeon crawl. I don't play the game anymore at all on account of this.

I'm not one for telling anybody how to make their art, but my suggestion is to make the old style, random zombie generation an option, along with the predetermined spawns. I know for a fact I'm not the only person that feels this way.

Hopefully 18 will address some of this, there are a lot of concerns over the direction the game seems to be taking.

The focus has shifted from survival with random difficulty(wandering hordes, need to find items to progress) to an inside dungeon crawl shooter on rails.

The focus is now kill to level up not explore and scavenge and get genuinely surprised by your own stupidity!

Maps are ludicrously empty and provide no threat, even at night.

LBD was a much better, more natural system and progression was smoother. The need to find tools etc drove exploring and looting with the random nature of it being brilliantly sadistic at times.

@asmonauts: Scavenging situation in A18 will be quite different and better than in A17, there really is no question about that.

@Adamofangels: Zombies inside building have been reduced by ~20% I think.

Apart from that, did you reduce difficulty? And did you ever try stealth? It makes a difference if you can kill them one by one with a bow/crossbow and only change to pistol or rifle when too many wake up.

@Adamofangels: Zombies inside building have been reduced by ~20% I think.

Apart from that, did you reduce difficulty? And did you ever try stealth? It makes a difference if you can kill them one by one with a bow/crossbow and only change to pistol or rifle when too many wake up.

Its not really a matter of difficulty (although it can be difficult) - its a matter of the game not feeling like a post-zombie apocalypse survival simulator anymore. It feels like a video game where you clear buildings of zombies. If it had 5% - 10% the number of sleepers it currently does, and the rest as random spawns/wanderers, I think that would feel natural. The real fun is in gathering resources and building while fighting off zombies, not in hacking through tons of zombies all the time. That's my (and several friends of mine's) take, anyway.

• 5 weeks later...
ALL i want is that zombie have random walking animations

All I want is for TFP to do away with the zombie crawler and implement a small chance that when zombies spawn they have a chance to spawn with a limb dismembered.

Viola! Crawlers that can be any type of zombie in the game! (Also, more variety and visual appeal by running into occasional one-armed zombies.)

They did that because it was eating performance i believe. Some mods do it though but not with a really random. They just have more fixed genres of zombies. But i would like to see it back somehow.

Maybe they could limit the number of types spawned to not have 80 different zombies animation. Like random but 20 types at the same time or something.

All I want is for TFP to do away with the zombie crawler and implement a small chance that when zombies spawn they have a chance to spawn with a limb dismembered.

Viola! Crawlers that can be any type of zombie in the game! (Also, more variety and visual appeal by running into occasional one-armed zombies.)

true

The worst part, is that this isn't a complex change at all. I was able to disable the respawning of indoor zombies just by removing a few C# instructions, and a toggle is trivially easy to implement as an alternative. The zombie count is not that hard to change either, it's all in the SleeperVolume class, the source code of which can be seen with dnSpy.

There's no excuse for the devs to not include an if check that compares against an int with a random value. It would be, at most, three lines of brain-dead code to add to the existing class.

Archived