Random generated (RGW) MAP Preview image export Tool

ognivo777

• 7 months later...

I'm using it with A19 b60, using the DF "DFalls-Small1" map and a 6,542 mixed-item Prefabs folder built with KingGen's 0.8.0 map builder. There are about 50% of the prefabs not interpreted (just question marks) - the rest all have their correct icons. This is my first time using this tool, but it's waaaaaay better than an original preview.png map. It may be a year old, but it's solved what has been a PITA for me, for a long time.

A great tool!

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/6/2020 at 4:25 AM, vergilsparda said:

this topic's almost a year old (apologies for resurrecting it, if I wasn't supposed to), but would you ever think of updating this for alpha 19, or even updating it to add an export feature? 

Despite the long absence of updates this tool works correctly with worlds of the current version of the game. There are small problems with the new prefabs - they are displayed with questions sign. This I plan to fix in the near future.

What kind of export would you like to get? The result of the program is a generated JPEG file, which is saved in the folder with the world files. You can use it after the tool is closed.

On 6/29/2021 at 6:53 AM, ognivo777 said:

What kind of export would you like to get? The result of the program is a generated JPEG file, which is saved in the folder with the world files. You can use it after the tool is closed.

Oh! I did not know it did that, my apologies. I'm perfectly happy with that, thank you for answering my questions! 

• 5 months later...

. . .and the A20 version works quite well, Ognivo, Thank you for the update!  I must confess - I had forgotten about your Preview Generator, as I had been using KingGen with it's built-in preview gen since it was released, but with A20 - (others have reported) KG hasn't worked - and may not even get updated.  In any event - the 7D2D RWG appears to be a whole lot better than it was in the earlier versions, and there are some features of an RWG map - like the biomes that can be changed, so I'm ok with that at the moment, plus - there may be other things too, but one at a time, right?  😊  The only thing that is missing from this nice little tool are the city and town roads. I'm not sure that you A19 version displayed roads, but as a feature - I think I'd rather have those roads shown, with buildings displayed as sized blocks in the same way that the in-game map shows. For me, at least - probably not everyone might agree - and I appreciate that you're trying to identify the exact building type and display an icon instead, but it becomes really confusing when those icons over-ride each other - and even more so when there are unidentifiable buildings which are then replaced by question marks.  Those will disappear as A20 stabilizes I'm sure, but I'd personally just want to see the top-down view of the roads and structures, just as in the original in-game map. Little pictures are ok on washroom doors, but they don't add very much to a map!

Thanks again, and all the best for the coming new year.  👍

pj

Hmmm... seems it works perfectly with an A19 RWG map. The city and town roads are all there in an A19 map  "8_mapWithObjects.png",  but they don't appear when using an A20 map. The city interconnect roads/highways all show fine. The steps 8 steps all appear normal, just as in A19.
I have updated to the latest Java and rebooted, prior to running the tool, and have run from the (Admin) CMD window, and also straight from the in-map jar.    What am I missing?

Windows 10 20H2 b19042.1415.  i7-4790K 32gig ram, RYX3080Ti
43" LG at 3840x2160 and ASUS 27" at 2560x1440.

Edited by paulj_3 (see edit history)

Yep - I reckon that's correct Matis - and that why I reckon it's something that we - you and I - can't 'fix' this on our own, and why I think KS will have his work cut out to do it. Painting up a biome is one thing - roads were already a problem in A19, and I had all kinds of trouble getting them to look "ok", much less "right". 

Which java runtime do I need?

I downloaded the runtime at https://www.java.com/en/download/ but I'm not having any luck, maybe I have the wrong runtime?

The error message I get is:

"Error: A JNI error has occurred, please check your installation and try again
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError: org/obiz/sdtd/tool/rgwmap/MapBuilder has been compiled by a more recent version of the Java Runtime (class file version 55.0), this version of the Java Runtime only recognizes class file versions up to 52.0"

Thanks

4 hours ago, pahbi said:

Which java runtime do I need?

I downloaded the runtime at https://www.java.com/en/download/ but I'm not having any luck, maybe I have the wrong runtime?

The error message I get is:

"Error: A JNI error has occurred, please check your installation and try again
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError: org/obiz/sdtd/tool/rgwmap/MapBuilder has been compiled by a more recent version of the Java Runtime (class file version 55.0), this version of the Java Runtime only recognizes class file versions up to 52.0"

Thanks

Getting same error here too... tried both just running the jar and using the command line.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Interesting. I have my own map preview generator which is part of my seed generator project: https://github.com/dcsobral/seedGen

The map preview is generated by the "draw" scripts -- drawMap.sh for biomes, terrain, water and roads followed by drawPrefabs.sh for prefabs. There's some other stuff there for variants. It's basically ImageMagick commands plus some extra stuff to convert prefabs.xml into an input to ImageMagick, so I thought it might give some ideas.

The main difference between the maps we generate is that I use the prefab preview image to display the prefabs, with a border of tag-based color coding. The logic for color choice is on prefabZoningColor.sh and there's a legend.png with all the colors I use. I do like the icon system of your generator, but I think it could be enhanced with the use of zoning colors like mine. 

I'm curious about the algorithm you used to display elevation changes -- that's the one thing I was never completely happy with. I'll check out the code, though pointers would be appreciated. :) Here's what the sort of preview generated by my tool, for a comparison.

test-6144.thumb.png.c8c93468f9ee67ea7d2f7de9c11eeef3.png