Working boats?

• 5 weeks later...
could you list the mod here? i can take a look into it and see if i could get it working on a17

This one is awesome, doesn't provide a real boat, just some kind of raft, but it has probably the best fishing mod ever created for this game. It was created for Alpha 16.4

https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?40425-Fishing-Mod-SDX

Old boat mod for Alpha 14.6

https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?41089-Working-Boat-Alpha-14-5-SDX

Manux created one for Alpha 16.4 and he also released a modlet for Alpha 17, but for some reason he didn't add all of his vehicles and one of the things he didn't update for Alpha 17 was his boat

https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?87828-A16-Custom-Vehicles-by-Manux-SDX

https://github.com/manux32/7dtdSdxMods/tree/master/Manux_CustomVehicles

Alpha 17 mods missing the boat...

https://github.com/manux32/7d2d_A17_sdx_mods

so the basics of this in is materials, making the water colidable

<config name="materials">
	<set xpath="/materials/material[@id='water']/property[@name='[b]collidable[/b]']/@value">[color="#00FF00"][b]true[/b][/color]</set>
</config>
</configs>

then you could just drive a 4x4 on the lake and call it a day ;p jk

but seriously thats the jist of it, not sure if that would also alow zombies and humans to walk on water, i assume as much, will require some testing. im busy atm, but ill put it on the list and try it out. someone is welcome to beat me to the punch

Manux just didn't wanna update all of his custom code until A17 was super stable. And I think by the time that had happened, he was tired of modding.

Drconfused got permission from Manux to re-use Manux Quad in his base constructor quest mod. He may be tired of modding, but might still let someone else to pick up his boat mod and update it for Alpha 17.

I have been looking at the boat code Manux custom wrote for A16 recently, a lot is not workable in A17 and I have tried. Not to say boats can not be done but its definately not easy to do at the moment I hold out hopes for A18 giving us something in that area.

Closest I got was by accident and pure coincidence was a 4x4 that just floated across the water with no way of controlling it, amusing but not usable, and that was without altering water collider. So there may be a few working on trying to get boats working , Manux not being around now is a big loss to the community and vehicles wise and I am sure he would get it working if he was here.

I have been looking at the boat code Manux custom wrote for A16 recently, a lot is not workable in A17 and I have tried. Not to say boats can not be done but its definately not easy to do at the moment I hold out hopes for A18 giving us something in that area.

Closest I got was by accident and pure coincidence was a 4x4 that just floated across the water with no way of controlling it, amusing but not usable, and that was without altering water collider. So there may be a few working on trying to get boats working , Manux not being around now is a big loss to the community and vehicles wise and I am sure he would get it working if he was here.

Isn't it kinda stupid that every time we get a new Alpha, we all call it an improvement over the last one and yet there's always something that worked before, but doesn't work anymore? But I guess this is just my personal rotten luck that every time I looked for it, it was not available for the Alpha that was available at that time and sure I could probably go back to those versions in which these things worked well, but then I would lose all the new stuff and that's undesirable. So I do hope that we will get the boats eventually, because it's ridiculous that while we can do so many things in the game, we can't do something as simple as drive a boat and just go fishing for a while and have a little break from zombies...

Honestly we're lucky the game is in continued development, this game came out in the hay day of what is "early access" a lot of games from that era, were left unfinished, this game in particular was developed into a corner, lucky the devs took a year and a half to re code pretty much everything, and now it has a current path of development. So while each alpha breaks somethings from the past, were are getting closer to a day when the game is stable enough that mods dont break every update.

Remember this game is Alpha. most games dont get to see the light of day, untill stable, beta at the earliest, which is another reason mods keep breaking, it is alpha, that means small things work, but big things are broken.

• 1 month later...

I did not want to let go of the fact I accidentally made a 4x4 float uncontrollably sometime back, so I backtracked on that and spent time trying to figure out how to control a vehicle when floating on water .... well literally first attempts vehicles hovered above water but eventually I managed to get the model into the water.

Each vehicle I found needs slight adjustments to get more stability, this is expected as each entity model is different..... this in present state is amusing but not 100% where it should be to make a workable modlet.

PS .. Theres no stopping the watercraft vehicle and fishing I am afraid in A17 but as proof of concept only .........

[video=youtube;N-WpHutkDV0]

I did not want to let go of the fact I accidentally made a 4x4 float uncontrollably sometime back, so I backtracked on that and spent time trying to figure out how to control a vehicle when floating on water .... well literally first attempts vehicles hovered above water but eventually I managed to get the model into the water.

Each vehicle I found needs slight adjustments to get more stability, this is expected as each entity model is different..... this in present state is amusing but not 100% where it should be to make a workable modlet.

PS .. Theres no stopping the watercraft vehicle and fishing I am afraid in A17 but as proof of concept only .........

Nice! Keep fighting the good fight!

This looks cool. Current animation would go well with jet ski model.

This looks cool. Current animation would go well with jet ski model.

Yes thats what I am thinking too, have a bit more to look at before I go for the model ... there is a setting that gives more stability to reduce the bounce affect and that relies on no engine power. So a row boat /raft could also be a possibilty at some point.

Like I said proof of concept atm and it looks possible this may work in A18 providing no major changes to vehicles and water occur, so bear with me on this as I said it may not make it fully in A17 but at least we have boat mechanics in motion.

There are issues with placing bigger vehicles but the shopping cart (post apocaliptic Jet Ski ) is not a problem :) .

Forgot to mention : This idea does not change water blocks at all, so its going to be just add the xml modlet and off you go /float. And as per usual with mods that add new models / localisations both client and server would need the modlet.

Not sure about server sided issues with this modlet at the moment , will be testing that part at some point soon.

A little bit more progress , we have the jet-ski style which I was fairly happy with, so I did a bit more with boats and stabilizing .... this time running with no fuel.

Definately an improvement on the floating action , the 4x4 substitutes as the boat come land vehicle so an Amphibious vehicle can be an option. I was also trying some other things at the time with vehicle physics and tried out DUST2DEATH's APC .... that does not have the extra code for stabilising but I was comparing models for research.

Still some work to do and things to iron out and time permitting can advance a bit further , last week was a bit short on time due to RL stuff .

Enjoy !!

Ragsy

Archived