Will the mods please stop moving thread here that do not warrant moving.

ricp

Let me say from the start that I fully support the addition of a Questions thread, in fact I'm on record as saying there is a need for one and it's good it's been implemented.

However, it seems the remit of what a question constitutes is open to debate. Just because a thread title ends with a ? doesn't mean it's a question - ok, literally it does, but semantically it's not. Take for example my thread regarding asking for people's favourite zombie kills. This isn't asking for assistance, there is no help to be given. It's a discussion piece, a general discussion piece, and belongs in General Discussion.

This is not about my thread, I only use it as an example, there are several other similar threads in here that simply have no reason to be here. This Questions section should be as described "Come here to ask for help or advice from other survivors.". Asking about favourite kills, discussing the games USP or the merit of A16 zombies to A17 ones do not fall within that remit, they are neither asking for help nor advice. Moving them here only dilutes the benefits a Questions section offers.

Do not get me wrong here, I am not criticising the work done, not in the slightest. I've ran websites for years, many of which have had 10s of thousands of monthly visitors. I am well aware of the need for housekeeping and strong, but consistent moderation. I fully understand the hard work put in by moderation teams and web devs to keep a place like this ticking over.

I would also suggest the Questions section, from a semantic and a UX point of view, is positioned incorrectly within the forum structure.

While in abstract you could say that questions are questions irrespective the platform the game is on, however in practise that really isn't the case. The vast majority of questions posed are regarding the PC version. With that in mind it should reside at the Forum / PC / Questions level (a sibling section to General Discussion) and not somewhat buried at the bottom of the root level of the forum.

I've been trying to figure out the logic myself, and I'm honestly at a loss.

- The console section has both 'general discussion', and 'questions' forums.

- The PC section only has a 'general discussion' forum.

- The general section only has a 'questions' forum'.

Apparently many of us have been posting in the wrong place with all these threads getting moved, but there is no obvious logic as to why our threads don't fit within the main general discussion section. The illogical forum structure combined with keeping us in the dark means it is going to keep on happening, and thus the admins are making unnecessary work for themselves.

As I said, I'm a supporter of a questions thread. It makes sense. Whether people answer those questions is based on two main factors; whether people care enough to do so and whether they know the question exists. For the former all we can do is hope the community is keen enough to help others - and I think it is - but the latter is a problem because of where the Questions section is positioned within the structure. Stick it as a sibling to GD and you'll get more people viewing it, make them jump back several levels and you won't. It's literally as simple as that. How do I know this? From developing and admining many different websites over the years.

The bottom line is, of course, that it's their forum and they can run it any way they want. I've proffered several suggestions that have fallen on deaf ears sadly. For example CKEditor (the javascript library that deals with the text editor used to write replies) and this site's implementation of the styling. It makes adding images either directly or via a link really difficult as it has a litany of style errors - such as white text on white background. I posted quite a detailed set of instructions but ultimately the thread was ignored by the mods/admin despite it being a very easy fix and one that would benefit all the users. It was posted in the Support forum so surely in the correct place.

Personally I think only questions that are asking for a specific answer should be in the questions section. Bascially things that have only 1 answer.

"How do I add a mod to my gun?"

"How long does it take for a seed to become harvestable?"

Things like that.

Some questions are more for a discussion and should be in general.

"Who thinks the new zombie AI is good?"

"What do you think of the direction is TFP taking with Character Progression?"

Etc. Things that are opinion based.

I'm not sure who the overzealous mover mod is among us. I agree that the only questions that should be moved here are questions that simply need an answer without need for discussion. I'll make a note of this point in the moderator forum and point out that it is better to err on the side of not moving since it seems to upset certain people greatly when their thread is moved.

In the future, rather than starting a public thread about it simply click the triangle report button and make the case that it should not have been moved. All the moderators usually discuss reported posts.

Also, stuff posted in the questions sections very rarely gets answered, so I really don't see the point of it anyway. My last actual question was only met with a trollish response from Roland.

Just looking at the last five or six pages I see very few 0 responses. I perused some of the threads that did have responses and most of them actually did contain the answer to the question asked. So I am really not sure why you would claim such an inaccurate thing like they very rarely get answered. Not all questions have an answer that can be given.

My answer to you was meant to be playful. The answer really is "maybe". Working on steam cards and badges is at the bottom of their priority list right now. I apologize if you took it to be mean spirited. Of course, you seem to take most things I do or say to be mean spirited. Perhaps your anger over the changes to A16 and the FOV slider issue is making you more bitter than you thought. Perhaps we got off on the wrong foot and you're the type to hold grudges. I really don't know.

I think you'll have a more rewarding time here if you let disappointments go, be more forgiving, and lighten up about forum banter. I'm willing to start fresh and if that means always posting straight with no joking around when dealing directly with you if that is your preference then I can commit to doing that.

Just looking at the last five or six pages I see very few 0 responses. I perused some of the threads that did have responses and most of them actually did contain the answer to the question asked. So I am really not sure why you would claim such an inaccurate thing like they very rarely get answered. Not all questions have an answer that can be given.

My answer to you was meant to be playful. The answer really is "maybe". Working on steam cards and badges is at the bottom of their priority list right now. I apologize if you took it to be mean spirited. Of course, you seem to take most things I do or say to be mean spirited. Perhaps your anger over the changes to A16 and the FOV slider issue is making you more bitter than you thought. Perhaps we got off on the wrong foot and you're the type to hold grudges. I really don't know.

I think you'll have a more rewarding time here if you let disappointments go, be more forgiving, and lighten up about forum banter. I'm willing to start fresh and if that means always posting straight with no joking around when dealing directly with you if that is your preference then I can commit to doing that.

Me saying 'rarely answered' is probably not fair. It's more accurate to say that questions that don't belong here (like the ones you moved back) don't get answered/stop getting discussed. I don't tend to read the threads that do actually belong here, but when mine went unanswered for so long, and then eventually received a troll response, I really thought 'What's the point. TFP have straight up ignored every request (not just by me) for an explanation about the FOV slider in multiple avenues: This forum, steam forum, reddit and social media. Now they can't even give a straight answer on a simple question about Steam badges in the questions forum". Got to say, you are right. I've run out of a sense of humour with you guys long ago. You would too, if you had motion sickness, and your favourite game suddenly made you throw up. Then you had to hack the console every time you want to play, and no explanation is given for why over the course of asking about it for 3+ months. Damn straight I'm bitter. Hell hath no fury like a super fan scorned.

Me saying 'rarely answered' is probably not fair. It's more accurate to say that questions that don't belong here (like the ones you moved back) don't get answered/stop getting discussed. I don't tend to read the threads that do actually belong here, but when mine went unanswered for so long, and then eventually received a troll response, I really thought 'What's the point. TFP have straight up ignored every request (not just by me) for an explanation about the FOV slider in multiple avenues: This forum, steam forum, reddit and social media. Now they can't even give a straight answer on a simple question about Steam badges in the questions forum". Got to say, you are right. I've run out of a sense of humour with you guys long ago. You would too, if you had motion sickness, and your favourite game suddenly made you throw up. Then you had to hack the console every time you want to play, and no explanation is given for why over the course of asking about it for 3+ months. Damn straight I'm bitter. Hell hath no fury like a super fan scorned.

Okay then. No more joking around it is.

I'm not sure why the FOV slider thing has not been accommodated. They have made changes in the past when something caused discomfort or sickness and I can only imagine they would do the same in this case unless there was an overwhelming reason not to. I'll see what I can learn about this and get you as clear an answer as I can.

I'm not sure who the overzealous mover mod is among us.

As I say, I really don't mind strong and consistent moderation, but I thank you for giving my comments a fair hearing.

In the future, rather than starting a public thread about it simply click the triangle report button and make the case that it should not have been moved. All the moderators usually discuss reported posts.

It was my first port of call, however I was unsure how the reported threads are dealt with and by whom. I also felt reporting the other thread, when there is nothing in the thread that should be reported was maybe the wrong route to go down. I get that starting a new thread is a bit like calling you out in public, it's not meant to be as critical as that.

Now I appreciate you have answered others here, but as far as I am concerned this thread can be closed/deleted. I can't really see me needing to do anything similar in the future, but if I do I will use the report feature.

I also felt reporting the other thread, when there is nothing in the thread that should be reported was maybe the wrong route to go down.

If a thread requires moderator attention outside of the usual rule violations, reporting the top post is still probably the best way to get our eyes on it. For example, sometimes modders report their own threads asking for reserved posts.

Archived