Death Debuff - Possible Suggestion - Please Consider and/or Comment!

Yamamoto80

Ummm...... you do realize that dropping stuff on death is completely optional and server admin decides on that?

If you think its too punishing, turn item drop on death off.

This is literally how free teleport back to base exploit emerged, you lost literally nothing and saved time.

In these other games, you habe NO options to turn item drop off, in 7d you can do it almost since the beginning.

Death penalty needs to stay, don't like dropping items? Turn it off.

You can't turn off dropping your items. You can choose between your toolbelt or your backpack though. If people are doing it on servers it's a mod and not part of the base game.

You can't turn off dropping your items. You can choose between your toolbelt or your backpack though. If people are doing it on servers it's a mod and not part of the base game.

and thats fine. This game is very modable for a reason :)

and thats fine. This game is very modable for a reason :)

So True. I didn't even know what an XML was until I played 7DTD. Took a 5 minute tutorial of how to open the files in Notepad++ and BOOM, I was hosting games for friends setting up my own GS calculations on spreadsheets, adding in recipes, making shotguns into fully automatic machine guns... the sky's the limit! xD

If 7DTD gameplay stood at the same level in A17 as in A16 i think there wouldn't be any problem with DP. Remember how many long time players jumped into Experimental and were overwhelmed? In A17 is quite more common to die from Zs (to some extent) due to the change in fighting and zombie AI. Of course, some will say that if you're smart you'll never die (or always outrun Zs).

On the other hand, most of the players that get used to the fighting and exploration, will eventually get this "buff" all the time, because they will adapt so well they won't ever die. Surely some of us already know how to fight and not die (or simply how careful to be not to die even when building, mining, etc.). This means that many of the players will have that constant 25% bonus (or whatever the max) for quite a long time.

The elephant in the room of this conversation is the faster rising GS. Lower attributes do not contribute or detriment your XP gains, they only make your life harder for a set amount of time. Considering not everyone wants to get a more difficult game the longer they play "safe", i would propose a few alternate bonuses for living longer (pick one really, as these are suggestions and not deeply thought over):

1. Loot quality - Like with Lucky Goggles, you might find better items in the world.

2. Better trader prices - Maybe not giving a big bonus, but beneficial enough so that people would see the difference.

3. Higher damage of tools/weapons - The longer you live, the better you are with hitting/shooting things.

Now i'll wait for someone to edit their buffs.xml and add a new "buff" for a multiplier in XP, Loot quality, Trader prices or higher damage.

On the other hand, most of the players that get used to the fighting and exploration, will eventually get this "buff" all the time, because they will adapt so well they won't ever die. Surely some of us already know how to fight and not die (or simply how careful to be not to die even when building, mining, etc.). This means that many of the players will have that constant 25% bonus (or whatever the max) for quite a long time.

There is already an item which gives you 10% extra XP all the time, the nerdy glasses. 10% extra bonus seems not to be a problem if there is already something in the game that gives you this bonus.

There is already an item which gives you 10% extra XP all the time, the nerdy glasses. 10% extra bonus seems not to be a problem if there is already something in the game that gives you this bonus.

But you don't have to use those. Alternative for not having the bonus for living long would be to commit suicide. Not every playstyle will favor getting the most XP, but having to kill yourself is a bit over the top imho.

But you don't have to use those. Alternative for not having the bonus for living long would be to commit suicide. Not every playstyle will favor getting the most XP, but having to kill yourself is a bit over the top imho.

No you don't but most players I know are always happy when they find one.

The XP bonus was only a idea how the death debuff could be replaced by something that is more positive. Another possibility would be something like a extra skillpoint every X days or so.

By the way, gathering too much XP is in 17.2 not a problem anymore because you can reduce your XP gain in the settings. You can set the XP Multiplier down to 25% if you are interested in not leveling too fast. And leveling is not so painful like it was in 17.1. The gamestages.xml is fixed and the number of green zombies in POIs has now decreased significantly.

The problem with an XP reward system is that XP balance becomes harder to develop. Say the developer wants us to take 30 hours to get to lvl 80. Just some random pacing I pulled out of my rear.

With that XP modifier, now they have to balance the standard XP gains without the buff along with XP gains with the buff.

Which basically amounts to people who are really talented breezing through content and those who just aren't as talented being penalized simply because they struggle more.

Game difficulty should probably have a balance on the debuff that's given. Increased duration, increased severity, something along those lines.

Though IMO, don't use XP. Especially with the game being so dependant on XP now for progression and survivability... It's something that likely will raise some notable hairs.

I think the nerfing debuff is sufficient personally. It's put me in some tight spots not being able to dish the damage I need or not having the same amount of stamina.

Just make it more severe at higher difficulties.

Just wanted to say Thank You to everyone who's taken time to read and/or contribute to the thread. Feedback matters, and there are certainly no right or wrong answer here. Again, the purpose of this whole thread is to explore other possibilities surrounding the current Death Debuff. This has been a point of great contention for many players that Alpha 17 has trailed along with it, and we want the game to be as fun as possible for everyone.

After reading several valid points and many counterarguments I am of the opinion that the penalties assigned to a player upon death need to flexible. Players need to have the ability to individually determine what constitutes a "fair and fun" setback for dying in this survival game. There are those of us who thoroughly enjoy a harsh penalty, and there are those who don't want to have a penalty, period. By demanding a "one-size-fits-all" solution and denying this choice of how to experience the game in a way that's fun for each person, we are not taking into consideration how everyone feels and are not providing an effective solution to the situation.

It would punish players who love the risk. Dying is part of the zombie apocalypse. Anyone who does not die regularly every few days, has in my opinion set the game too easy. It's about the border experience.

I think the current game mechanics is a good compromise between punishment and fun through risky style of play.

I would not mind if the "Death Debuff" stacked up once. Whoever dies two times in a row should have the "Death Debuff" twice as long.

(Unfortunately, I can only speak very little English. I have used translation program German – English.)

Archived