Modders please respond if - You Use a Mac

stasis78

I'm working on a tool that could maybe morph into something for modders, to help take the pain out of xpath modlets.

However it is based on OS X Mojave, so you need a Mac.

I'm not going into Windows territory because that is already dominated by several folks here. SOOOO, I'm trying to determine if any modders here would actually use a Mac app.

Feel free to leave flame comments about buy a PC, etc. (I have a gaming PC and was a c# winforms dev for 7 years ;p

Actual comments about whether you would use it are appreciated otherwise.

Thanks!!!

i mod on mac and there is one more guy modding in mac in your own discord guppy! :chargrined:

yeah we aint many but we do mod on mac.

xpath modlets are not a trouble though, i dont know what you re gonna do, the real issue for mac modders are the tools...

sdx, uabe, asset studio, all those basic tools are win only.

whenever installing a mod involving sdx you have to do a manual install replacing core files.

i mod on mac and there is one more guy modding in mac in your own discord guppy! :chargrined:

yeah we aint many but we do mod on mac.

xpath modlets are not a trouble though, i dont know what you re gonna do, the real issue for mac modders are the tools...

sdx, uabe, asset studio, all those basic tools are win only.

whenever installing a mod involving sdx you have to do a manual install replacing core files.

Couldn't that be solved by whatever mac has for batch files?

Couldn't that be solved by whatever mac has for batch files?

That wouldn’t be hard to solve at all but until pimps have an official stance on how assets will be handled in modlets, including any support for binary changes, it’s not something I’d want to maintain.

While I know that xpath is not hard for basic modlets, when you have to manage 1000s of items it does become an issue. Also there is no way to evaluate xpath expressions and assign the results to an element or attribute value.

I’ll just repost here from the Farm Life thread.

I promised I'd show some screenshots of the tool I'm building. So here you go!

After fighting mindless xml errors while manually editing modlet files, and also running into limitation of the current Xpath system. I decided to write my own tool to manage all the xml files. Its been a pretty massive undertaking but now I'm able to detect things like missing recipes, icons that exist for custom items but have overrides when they shouldn't, etc..

Also I can do things like query the game's xml files and have dropdowns to prevent naming errors. And of course I can write custom migration code to bulk fix any problems when pimps change stuff

Screen shots below (warning I am not trying to get UX design award, this is a dev tool!)

https://github.com/stasis78/7dtd-mods/tree/master/ModLife

looks good

It’s very basic user interface for now. If I were to open source it, it would take a bit of work since I have a lot of farm life specifics in it right now. Also I’m not convinced that Gazz won’t change everything before beta.

Right now it require buffs, blocks, and items to have templates defined that are inherited. This is as opposed to whatever extends does where it won’t copy all the child nodes of an element. It makes things much easier to actually inherit and override. But the options for overrides is limited to what I need right now, not all the possible things.

What I may do for starters is break out my validation logic into a separate tool that you can run on your modlet and find errors and inconsistencies without need to launch the game.

Might be a better place to head than a full blown editor ;)

Archived