Fixing Gun Auto-Reload Empty Clip/ Unable to switch from Gun when Reloading

Telosbudo

Here's some much needed changes to MOST auto-reloading guns when empty and and changing items in-the-middle of reloading

1) Very Uncontroversial - I think we can all agree: TFP need to Fix unable to switch items while in gun-reload animation

2) Pretty Uncontroversial - Most can agree: TFP need to remove auto-reload empty guns for MOST guns, (with exception to hunting rifle)

Thoughts?

I don't understand why we even have an auto-reload it should be manual reload always.

I agree. I've never heard of another shooter or survival game that has auto-reload guns. People don't like it. It just takes game-play choices away from the player(s) - PvE and PvP alike.

I agree. I've never heard of another shooter or survival game that has auto-reload guns. People don't like it. It just takes game-play choices away from the player(s) - PvE and PvP alike.

Um...most games with guns, the guns auto reload when you empty the clip. Don't know why you think they don't.

Crossbow need to stop auto reloading. You shot it once, then you get stuck reloading for so long. It make no sense.

Um...most games with guns, the guns auto reload when you empty the clip. Don't know why you think they don't.

Not true. In most FPS game(even none FPS like RE) I played, only when you pull the trigger with an empty clip, the game will auto reload after a"click" sound.

This is a stupid problem to have. It needs to be fixed yesterday. How hard is it to add an animation cancel? Seriously, when we switch weapons and or sprint, the reload animation should cancel. The actual reload also needs to cancel. Not only the animation. I feel like I need to say it at this point, because we have been dealing with some variant of this problem for years now, and they still don't have a handle on it.

This is a stupid problem to have. It needs to be fixed yesterday. How hard is it to add an animation cancel? Seriously, when we switch weapons and or sprint, the reload animation should cancel. The actual reload also needs to cancel. Not only the animation. I feel like I need to say it at this point, because we have been dealing with some variant of this problem for years now, and they still don't have a handle on it.

Totally agree. Most of the game consists of killing zombies or running around them. The lack of attention to gun mechanics/working gun animations is a serious handicap for any player.

All Tom Clancy games, All Resident Evil games, All Halo games, All Battle Royal games, All Quake games, All Doom Games, All Duke Nukem games, Destiny Games, That Wii zombie game, etc etc etc

So you're wrong, or you play really obscure games. And you missed the point anyway. Auto-reload is not a good/fun game mechanic. Can probably argue that's the reason manual reload is in so many games.

Both "good" and "fun" are subjective.

Most of my deaths are due to this flaw. If you are aiming and run out of ammo and then hit reload it just stays aiming and you die.

I would have nothing against manual reload but then it has to happen when I hit that button. If I have to zoom out first before I can reload on top of reload penalties the game now puts on us then, I'm fighting game mechanics at that point instead of zombies.

Reload should interrupt any animation imo.

Edit : Also, if I'm eating meat stew or drinking a Yucca tea and a zombie comes around the corner I'm not going to calmly continue to finish my stew and tea, I'm going to drop EVERYTHING and grab my gun. Switching weapons should interupt many anomations/actions as well.

These are the things that constantly get me killed.

Most games have an auto-reload feature on empty. But most games also let you cancel the reload to swap weapons, and you just redo the animation when you return to the gun. Not only is it more realistic, it's also much less frustrating since you are in control at all times.

In early game 7DtD I expect to tag a charging dog with a hunting rifle and finish it off with a club. Not tag it once with the hunting rifle, frantically press hotbar keys while nothing happens, try to run while my feet are in molasses from the animation, then respawn on my bed while still bleeding (glad they fixed the last part lol).

And now that I have the Marksman Rifle with an 8x scope, I have the opposite problem where it doesn't auto-reload while I'm zoomed so I lose track of how many rounds I have left and can be empty. Much less of a problem, especially if I count, but still mildly annoying every time.

My ideal fix would be if the animations for weapon reloads were broken down into different segments like dropping the mag, inserting a new mag, and charging the weapon. Then if you cancel the reload at any time it will remember the steps you've already finished. I remember the shotguns in Left 4 Dead 1 had this type of thing if you fired the weapon dry, reloaded a few shells, but swapped weapons before racking a shell into the chamber. When you swapped back you'd have to work the pump to get the weapon ready to fire. A small detail but I really appreciated the realism.

I don't think it's just tied to the gun reload.

If you right click anything, and switch to a different item, things get stuck. Think it's all died up in a similar bug.

For example:

Put some Red Tea in your tool belt.

Drink a Red Tea from the stack in your tool belt.

Before you can get the drink to your lips, swap to your pick axe or some tool.

Now, try to just move that red tea back to your inventory or drop it.

You can get stuck unable to move that Red Tea off of your belt or even drop it until you drink another Red Tea and let the animation finish all the way. Which will allow you to drop the tea or move it back to your inventory.

There's definitely some buggy stuff mixed up in all the Right Click and Use functionality.

Archived