A17 Stable FAQ

Roland

How do I remain on Alpha 16.4 so my save game isn't rekted?

Right click on 7 Days to Die in your library.

Select Properties

Click on the Betas Tab

Open the drop down menu that probably says: NONE--Opt out of all betas

Select Alpha 16.4 from the list

Wait for Alpha 16.4 to download.

Do I have to leave latest_experimental?

No. You can stay opted in to latest_experimental. If you do so your game will update to A17.1 as soon as the developers release it to the experimental branch. If you wish to remain on b240 then you should go into the opt-in beta list and select the newly created A17.0 option.

How do I leave latest_experimental and change to stable?

Follow the steps in the first post but instead of selecting any of the versions in the drop down beta opt-in menu, select: NONE - Opt out of all betas.

What is the difference between A17 stable and A17 Latest_Experimental?

Nothing. They are both build 240. The developers were happy with the results of build 240 so they made it available to the general public.

Soon, however, the latest_experimental will be changed to A17.1 and then the two branches will be different until 17.1 goes to the stable branch at which point they will again be the same.

How can they call this "stable" with all the known issues still on the list?

Stable doesn't mean it isn't still in development. It simply means that the developers deem it playable enough for general consumption. They feel that someone purchasing the game today will be able to download the game and get it running provided they meet the requirements. It does not mean that they have completely fixed all the reported issues during the experimental phase. If it helps you can substitute the word "public" for "stable".

How long until A17.1 comes out?

It all depends on whether significant problems emerge now that the general public has it. TFP has been know to release an alpha .x hotfix update over Christmas Day in the past if it was necessary. As long as nothing game breaking emerges for the majority of the player base then most likely the beginning of January is when we will see the next update.

EDIT: A17.1 is projected to release to experimental this coming week, hopefully on Monday or Tuesday Jan 7 or 8, provided there aren't any show stopping issues.

Will Alpha 17.1 require a restart?

There are no guarantees although the developers try their best to avoid restarts. If you absolutely want to be sure to not have to restart then your best bet is opt in to the latest_experimental if you are not or stay with it if you are. Just follow the same steps listed above in the first post but select latest_experimental from the list instead of A16.4.

Why is it taking so long for the map to generate?

It only takes a long time the very first time and it is because it is pregenerating the entire map in order to improve performance during play. After the first time, the map can be selected as a regular map like Navezgane and it loads much faster. You can have multiple saves on the same randomly generated map just as you can with Navezgane.

Why dId they abandon the Snow in the North and Desert in the South to go back to A16 style worlds?

The biome generation was not yet hooked up to the random mixer when we first got experimental. Neither the first version nor the current version are the intended finished product.

Roland,

How would someone stay on A17-b240 (A17.0 Stable) for say the next 6 months?

**Bringing this up since I seem to recall a few folks saved games getting corrupted along the A16.0 -> 16.1 ->16.2 etc.

Won't they need to be extra careful to -not- start their saved game whenever the first experimental for A17.1 is released to the opt-in experimental_branch?

Or if they've opt'd out of experimental, then when A17.1 Stable drops, then they'll again need to be careful to not start their save until "A17.0 Stable" appears as an option in the Betas tab?

Why isn't the zipline working?

On a serious question, are we officially done with the Experimental opt-in? So I can just select Opt out of all betas and I am good to go?

Yes. But as I explained above you can stay in the experimental beta so as not to automatically update to A17.1 if you don’t want to.

EDIT: This is now inaccurate. To remain on the current build please select A17.0 from the beta opt-in menu.

Roland,

How would someone stay on A17-b240 (A17.0 Stable) for say the next 6 months?

**Bringing this up since I seem to recall a few folks saved games getting corrupted along the A16.0 -> 16.1 ->16.2 etc.

Won't they need to be extra careful to -not- start their saved game whenever the first experimental for A17.1 is released to the opt-in experimental_branch?

Or if they've opt'd out of experimental, then when A17.1 Stable drops, then they'll again need to be careful to not start their save until "A17.0 Stable" appears as an option in the Betas tab?

To stay on B240, opt-in to A17.0.

To stay on B240, opt back in to latest_experimental. It is the same as A17 stable. This was all explained above guys. Reading FAQs before adding new questions to them keeps you off Santa’s naughty list!

ha :) I did Santa, honestly I did!

Seriously; I could be totally mis-remembering things, but won't the latest_experimental get used to test experimentals of 17.1?

Potentially leading to folks starting their b240 game under build b241+ ?

I also noticed that in my Steam options I can't choose to 'Never Update this game'.

Hmmmm....I don’t remember experimentals for the decimal updates but I’ll bring it up and make sure they keep b240 viable (if they’re willing).

I couldn't remember either, but just thought to just check "News & Announcements".

There are threads under there titled "Thread: Alpha 16.4 Experimental B8 Bug Report Thread", and the first post explains how to opt in by

"4. Under ‘Select the beta you would like to opt into’ latest_experimental"

Not that things might not be different, hey it's the future!, so whatever works going forward :)

Oh, and please feel free to delete all of this so your FAQ stays tidy (not that you need my permission, lol)

and Merry Christmas Roland, hope Santa got you something really nice for all your patience this year :thumb:

Are 4k and 8k the only map size options for random maps?

No. Select advanced map generation and you can choose 16k.

How you set the "procedurally generated maps" (randomly generated map) which was 16.4 Alpha ? I want to play on a map that has no boundaries and that never ends.

Are there any known problems about the new unity and texture streaming?

While A16 runs smooth, A17 lags and stutters despite stable frames. Even on the lowest settings. Textures look awful and slowly load when walking near the objects.

How you set the "procedurally generated maps" (randomly generated map) which was 16.4 Alpha ? I want to play on a map that has no boundaries and that never ends.

Alpha 16.4 did not have unlimited maps. You could go into the xml files and change the size of the boundaries and you can do that now as well. The problem is that now maps are pregenerated meaning that for a really large map that feels unlimited you might have to wait all day long for it to generate and may run out of memory or experience a crash midway through. See how well your computer does generating a 16k map in the advanced options before going even more towards unlimited.

Is there a way to tell what level the POI's are before getting my teeth kicked in by green boars and irradiated policemen?

There is no way to know until you explore. They are working on tuning the game better to your gamestage so you don't have those encounters before you are ready.

Are there any known problems about the new unity and texture streaming?

While A16 runs smooth, A17 lags and stutters despite stable frames. Even on the lowest settings. Textures look awful and slowly load when walking near the objects.

They are working on these issues.

Archived