REV6:7-8's REALITY CHECK

rev678

Running this on a save game/singleplayer, and inviting friends to my game; do they require the mods, or not? These feel like they more or less use vanilla assets and just change spawning routines for the "server" (player). I'm no 7Days expert, this is just me assuming stuff. I feel like since it's mostly vanilla assets, multiplayer joining wouldn't need others to have them?

If my question is weird (lol); If I'm inviting friends to my game (not hosting a dedicated server), do my friends require these modlets?

Running this on a save game/singleplayer, and inviting friends to my game; do they require the mods, or not? These feel like they more or less use vanilla assets and just change spawning routines for the "server" (player). I'm no 7Days expert, this is just me assuming stuff. I feel like since it's mostly vanilla assets, multiplayer joining wouldn't need others to have them?

If my question is weird (lol); If I'm inviting friends to my game (not hosting a dedicated server), do my friends require these modlets?

MageBlade,

If you're wanting to use any or all of these modlets in "server mode"...

- running a dedicated server, or...

- sharing your own game with friends, and they connect into your computer which is essentially acting as a server...

... you're correct in that you only need to install the modlet(s) on whichever device is acting as the server.

Hope this clarifies, and cheers!

REV6:7-8

Hey rev678, love the mod as I am more about building than trying to kill anything that the devs decided would make a better zombie. Ran into a problem though on my first horde night. I have all the modlets installed, fresh game, and get my wandering hordes etc with no problems. But now on hore night I keep getting the console popping up randomly when it tries to spawn in one of the removed zombies. This is from my log... next to taking every mod out and trying to add each one at a time, thought you might have an idea before I do that.

2019-05-24T11:56:15 14372.280 INF BloodMoonParty: SpawnZombie grp 1 feralHordeStageGS49 (count 0, numToSpawn 29, maxAlive 19), cnt 4 zombieSteve, at player 171, day/time 7 22:28

2019-05-24T11:56:15 14373.242 INF Entity 2635 killed by 171.

2019-05-24T11:56:16 14373.328 INF BloodMoonParty: SpawnZombie grp 1 feralHordeStageGS49 (count 1, numToSpawn 29, maxAlive 19), cnt 4 zombieSkateboarder, at player 171, day/time 7 22:28

InvalidCastException: Cannot cast from source type to destination type.

at AIDirectorBloodMoonParty.SpawnZombie (.World _world, .EntityPlayer _target, Vector3 _focus, Vector3 _radius) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at AIDirectorBloodMoonParty.Tick (.World _world, Double _dt, Boolean _canSpawn) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at AIDirectorBloodMoonComponent.Tick (Double _dt) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at AIDirector.ComponentsTick (Double _dt) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at AIDirector.Tick (Double dt) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at World.OnUpdateTick (Single _partialTicks, ArraySegment`1 _activeChunks) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at GameManager.gmUpdate () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at GameManager.Update () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Hey rev678, love the mod as I am more about building than trying to kill anything that the devs decided would make a better zombie. Ran into a problem though on my first horde night. I have all the modlets installed, fresh game, and get my wandering hordes etc with no problems. But now on hore night I keep getting the console popping up randomly when it tries to spawn in one of the removed zombies. This is from my log... next to taking every mod out and trying to add each one at a time, thought you might have an idea before I do that.

Wacko,

I've seen that particular error (Cannot cast from source type to destination type) in a few situations:

1. Someone tries launching an old/previous save game after updating their 7DTD game to a newer version. Starting a new game usually solves that particular issue.

2. Someone updates their 7DTD game to a newer version, but some files don't successfully/fully update for whatever reason. Selecting VERIFY INTEGRITY OF GAME FILES on the LOCAL FILES tab of the 7 Days to Die - Properties window in the Steam client usually solves that particular issue.

3. Someone has a "corrupted" (as far as the 7DTD game program is concerned) player profile. Sometimes an "Invalid Cast Exception" error can be corrected by "cleaning" your player profile (either using the cleaning tool in the 7DTD Launcher, or changing and/or deleting your player profile from the in-game menus).

If you start a new game/save, and verifying the integrity of game files doesn't report any errors, then I'm guessing the third scenario is the one you're dealing with.

Please try "cleaning" your player profile, followed immediately by then re-starting a new game/save, and see if that corrects the issue.

Thanks much,

... in ALL THREE (3) of the scenarios listed above, it's imperative to start a new game/save after performing the specified corrective measures.

Especially once a game/save starts throwing "InvalidCastException" errors, that particular game/save should be considered suspect/pooched, and beyond repair (by most people).

Hope this clarifies,

... in ALL THREE (3) of the scenarios listed above, it's imperative to start a new game/save after performing the specified corrective measures.

Especially once a game/save starts throwing "InvalidCastException" errors, that particular game/save should be considered suspect/pooched, and beyond repair (by most people).

Hope this clarifies,

Will try the player clean. I installed your mod then continued with an old save, got the "InvalidCastException" which actually froze my game. I then read your FAQ bits. This is the process I took....

1/ Fresh install of 7DTD A17.3 - played and tested, no errors in debug menu on load and save and load again.

2/ Added all your modlets, played right up to day 7 including several POI clearings and wandering hordes with nothing showing in the debug menu (except the 3 warnings that show in yellow due to having all your modlets installed)

3/ Got to day 7 and horde started, about 3 min real time in, I got the debug menu pop open with the first of the errors in red. Was able to close it and continue with horde night, then it progressively got more and more throughout the night. Finished horde night and cleaned out a heap of deer standing around.

4/ Killed the deer but they made a sound every time I carved them up AND after harvesting the corpse remained. Eventually the corpses despawned but much longer than after a zombie is killed and despawns.

5/ Continued playing through the rest of day 8 and day 9 with 2 wandering hordes and no debug errors.

As I said, I will try the player clean, but won't be able to tell until day 14 horde as all other days everything seems to be working fine.

I installed your mod then continued with an old save

At this point, I would recommend doing BOTH of these TWO (2) things, in this SPECIFIC order...

1. "Clean" your player profile, using the tool from the 7DTD launcher.

286485581_Cleangamedata.jpg.0cbc1285bebc44a126356087fcb489fd.jpg

2. After fixing your player profile, start a new game/save.

The first two Best Practices/Troubleshooting/Errors items under the first post in this thread are specifically related to "Invalid Cast Exception" errors. I too have personally seen those errors when I've failed to follow my own advice.

Yes, it's a PITA having to start a new game/save. But it's more of a pain trying to troubleshoot errors every horde night if you don't. And once a game/save starts throwing "Invalid Cast Exception" errors, you're only going to have continued issues with it.

I've occasionally been able to temporarily repair a game/save using only the player profile fix above, only to have further problems with that game/save during the very next horde night. Kludges are only as good as your patience troubleshooting the next failure.

ON A RELATED NOTE... It's probably wise to start a new game/save ANY time you install ANY mod or modlet or overhaul from ANY author.

Hope this helps,

IMPORTANT REMINDER (copied from the Best Practices/Troubleshooting/Errors section of the original post in this thread):

1. I strongly advise you to start a NEW game/save AFTER installing but BEFORE running these modlets. Failure to do so will likely result in an "Invalid Cast Exception" error. If you don't start a NEW game/save AFTER installing but BEFORE running these modlets, and get that error, I'm going to tell you to start a NEW game/save.

Hope this helps,

After conducting extensive testing involving (among other things) advancing and regressing the in-game time using the SETTIME command from the console...

... I'm FINALLY able to CONSISTENTLY reproduce conditions that generate the "InvalidCastException: Cannot cast from source type to destination type" errors that SOME people have seen during SOME horde nights.

While I think I may have figured out WHAT exactly is "breaking," I don't have an ETA on the fix as of yet, as I'm still experimenting with a few different work-arounds for this particular problem.

It's kind of like knowing when I'll find my lost or misplaced car keys. I'll find them when I find them.

In the meantime, I have TEMPORARILY removed the modlet package download link from the original post.

When I have a fix ready for release, I'll re-add a corrected download link to the original post, and then post again here so everyone knows we're back in business.

Hope this clarifies,

I now have an EXPERIMENTAL release of the REALITY CHECK modlets package available, if anyone wants to give it a try. Download link in the original post has been updated.

This release replaces all of the specified animals and/or zombies with zombieMoe, instead of animalStag.

The previous stag replacements for those animals and/or zombies seemed to be contributing to the "InvalidCastException: Cannot cast from source type to destination type" errors that SOME people were experiencing on SOME horde nights... IF they were in SPECIFIC biome types at the time. THAT was the missing piece of the puzzle.

Since changing the mob replacements from animalStag to zombieMoe, I have NOT been able to reproduce conditions that generate that particular error any more, regardless of how many times I advance or regress the in-game time, nor which biome I am currently located in.

Hope this helps, and cheers!

Edited by rev678 (see edit history)

• 3 weeks later...

The latest versions of these modlets are fully compatible with and have successfully passed testing for the latest STABLE version of 7DTD, Alpha 17.4 Stable B4.

1. I cleaned my profile (7dLauncher/Tools/Clean game data/Player profiles), started a BRAND NEW game save, and have been using ALL of these modlets without any errors for the past two weeks.

2. My game save has been using the default 60 minutes for the 24 hour game cycle, the default daylight length of 18 hours, but the blood moon frequency set to every 1 game day, to allow me to test these modlets over a large number of sequential blood moon hordes.

3. I'm also running ALL of the following modlets, at the same time...

Red Eagle LXIX's DropOnDeathNothing

)

stedman420's SimpleUI 4DigitCraft

stedman420's SimpleUI BiggerBackpack120-PlayerBuiltStorage

stedman420's SimpleUI Compass

stedman420's SimpleUI CraftingQueue

stedman420's SimpleUI ForgeInput

stedman420's SimpleUI LeftHUD-BuffTimers

stedman420's SimpleUI Toolbelt

stedman420's SimpleUI VehicleStorage

... without any conflicts or errors.

4. If you try any or all of these modlets and get errors about casting from source type to destination type, please see item #1 above.

5. Renamed the attached zip file in the original post, corresponding to the version of 7DTD these modlets require.

Good news to hear REV6:7-8 :) glad that you have tracked the cause of the random cast issue :)

This may explain why I had no problems at all with horde nights because I adapted the modlet and I took out animalStag as I wanted less meat available for my personal tastes, never occurred to me that I avoided the problem from day one :(

Great Mods

Cheers

Ragsy !!

glad that you have tracked the cause of the random cast issue

Me too. LOL

This may explain why I had no problems at all with horde nights because I adapted the modlet and I took out animalStag as I wanted less meat available for my personal tastes, never occurred to me that I avoided the problem from day one

ZombieMoe (think Vincent D'Onofrio's Edgar character from Men in Black) ended up being a "safe" replacement, as he's able to spawn in any biome type, while deer aren't always.

Considered it a bonus that his height and size add to his in-game visibility.

Great Mods

Thanks! Yours are looking good these days too!

Cheers,

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

The REALITY CHECK modlets package (and also my ADMIN SKILL POINTS modlet) will be updated for Alpha 18 STABLE. "Real Life" puts constraints on the amount of time I can dedicate to 7DTD, so my modlet focus is limited to stable/non-experimental releases.

I'll be including additional modlet options for the new animals (coyotes and mountain lions) and zombie (the demolition zombie, as Ragsy 2145 mentioned).

In the meantime, I too have been playing around with Alpha 18 EXPERIMENTAL... using my existing modlet packages... and have not run into any issues with any of the modlets themselves.

As mentioned though in the original post of this thread, your mileage may vary, as these modlets are not officially supported with non-stable game releases.

Hope this clarifies, and cheers!

• 2 weeks later...

The latest versions of these modlets are fully compatible with and have successfully passed testing for the latest STABLE version of 7DTD, Alpha 18 b155 Stable.

1. Added a new modlet:

NO COYOTES - Replace coyotes with zombieMoe

2. Added a new modlet:

NO DEMOLITIONS - Replace demolitions with zombieMoe

3. Added a new modlet:

NO MOUNTAIN LIONS - Replace mountain lions with zombieMoe

4. Updated the extended version numbers within the modlets (which are visible in the console output as the modlets load), to help users know at a glance which version(s) they have installed.

5. Updated the System Requirements/Fine Print section of the original post.

6. Renamed the attached zip file in the original post, corresponding to the version of 7DTD these modlets require.

Nice Job REV6:7-8 :)

Thanks again for your continued support!

More zombieMoe's to kill is a good thing ..... so all is good in the reality feel.

While I was still troubleshooting the sporadic invalid cast exception errors some players were getting on some horde nights in some biomes, that's when I noticed that many animal and/or zombie types are limited to only auto-spawning in certain biomes and/or on certain horde nights and/or certain game stages.

[ SIDEBAR: Even with these modlets installed, people can still MANUALLY spawn in any of the animals or zombies in the game, using F6 once DM is activated ]

zombieMoe ended up being a "safe" pick, in that he didn't seem to be "banned" from any times or places. And who doesn't like killin' a few extra Edgars (from Men in Black)?

Regards

Ragsy !!

Cheers,

• 2 weeks later...

The latest versions of these modlets are fully compatible with and have successfully passed testing for the latest STABLE version of 7DTD, Alpha 18.1 b7 Stable.

1. Updated the extended version numbers within the modlets (which are visible in the console output as the modlets load), to help users know at a glance which version(s) they have installed.

2. Updated the System Requirements/Fine Print section of the original post.

3. Renamed the attached zip file in the original post, corresponding to the version of 7DTD these modlets require.

The latest versions of these modlets are fully compatible with and have successfully passed testing for the latest STABLE version of 7DTD, Alpha 18 b155 Stable.

1. Added a new modlet:

NO FOOTBALL PLAYERS - Replace football players with zombieMoe

The zombie football player will still run at players, even if zombie speed is set to walk. Bench this guy permanently, if you want.

2. Consolidated two modlets (NO VULTURES STANDARD and NO VULTURES RADIATED) into one new modlet that covers them all (NO VULTURES).

If you want standard vultures but not radiated vultures, use the NO RADIATED modlet. I can't think of a reasonable situation where someone might want radiated vultures but not standard vultures.

3. Consolidated two modlets (NO WIGHTS FERAL and NO WIGHTS RADIATED) into one new modlet that covers them all (NO WIGHTS).

If you want feral wights but not radiated wights, use the NO RADIATED modlet. I can't think of a reasonable situation where someone might want radiated wights but not standard wights.

4. Replaced the attached zip file in the original post with the new version that has these changes.

Edited by rev678 (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...