Questions about modlets.

Gamida

2 short questions (hopefully)

1. Is there a limit on how many you can have without it affecting game performance or does it not matter?

2. If you have 2 that contradict will the last one just be the default or will the conflict cause game to crash or act funny?

Can extend if more info is needed.

1 - No

2 - Last one will overwrite the previously loaded one. What I'm NOT sure of, is if modlet 1 changes a word, and modlet 2 changes the same word, if modlet 2 can even find the word TO change, after modlet 1 changed it. Probably not, so it probably just wouldn't load, in which case if it had any other changes that depended on the word change that didn't load, it would cause a problem.

Answers according to my understanding.

1 - There is a limit on how many folders are allowed in a NTFS file system folder. I can't remember how many that is at the moment but it is more than 1,000. As for affecting game performance, it depends on if they are adding things or just changing already existing things in the game. If adding things, there is going to be some performance hit but it depends on the modlets and how heavy they are.

2 - If you have a modlet called "alices super magnum" and another called "grants great magnum", and they both modify the damage of the magnum slightly differently, then on loading the modlets the alice one is loaded first and rewrites the damage for the magnum. Then later on, grants modlet is processed and it rewrites the damage from the magnum overwriting the alice modlet. So the last modlet loaded that modifies the damage to the magnum is what is given to the game for use.

Thanks for the info.

The first question I was just thinking more of the smaller modlets. Ones that make minor changes such as changing the amount of damage something does or maybe the stack size of something. Not huge changes to the game.

The second one was more about if 2 mods more or less just changed the stack size of an item. First one changes stacks of stones to 5000 and second one changed it to 8000 then I am guessing the stacks would end up at 8000.

1) Modlets are just instructions to make edits to the config XML files when you load a world. Once all of the modlets run, they don't do anything until the next time you load a world. So, it might make a very tiny difference in how long you wait for a world to load, but that's it.

2) Modlets are applied in alphabetical order. So if modlet A makes a change that makes modlet B invalid, modlet B loses. If modlet A changes a value and modlet B changes it to a different value, modlet B wins.

Note: Some modlets can stack, for instance if you have one that adds a gun, and another that loads later that increases all damage of all guns, as long as it is built correctly, the new gun will also get the new affect/damage. But if it loads first, tehn that won't happen. There is a lot you can do with modlets and I love it. :)

• 1 month later...

Archived