Native Linux server (with management scripts)

Alloc

Yeah, rereading your message I see that now ;) I probably added an "I" after the "and" when reading it.

Just wondering, do you actually use the second key of a 2pack for the server?

The error is all over the forum already ;)

Going to be fixed with an upcoming hotfix.

I hadn't thought about the key. I know I got my copy gifted to me by a friend, so I think it's a 2 pack second copy. Are you supposed to have a separate key for your server?

hmm I don't have ildsam.exe.. its part of which .net sdk? any specific version?

do i even need to bother with this for a101

got it working with cff explorer in a10.1 no idea why i couldn't get it to work before

still doing custom hooks don't work like the chathook and I havent changed anything since a9 in assembly patcher..was il errors or something, will try get the output log again

Anyone else experiencing the following error?

2014-11-26T19:27:26 4292.974 Error in thread_CommWriter: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

(Filename: /BuildAgent/work/d63dfc6385190b60/artifacts/LinuxStandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 49)

2014-11-26T19:27:26 4292.974 Stack Trace: at Chunk.CAAA0 () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Chunk.5AAA0 (System.IO.BinaryWriter 0AAAA, Boolean 1AAAA) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Chunk.write (System.IO.BinaryWriter stream) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at NetPackage_Chunk.Write (System.IO.BinaryWriter _writer) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at 9E4AA.thread_CommWriter (System.Object _stream) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Im guessing the chunk data couldnt be saved to disk, and will hopefully be retried?

Here is my own management script :

https://github.com/mikezerosix/7d2d-control/releases/

There are some variations on different Linux distributions but I tried KISS approach on the script and only use commands I am sure exists in all linux distros.

running the scrip without any parameters will print out instruction. and running it with "help" parameter prints out full help text.

You need to edit the script and write your Steam login username into it. It will install Steam and the game. If you already have the game and steam installed they you need to edit the directory lofations too. Though it would be much easier t tel it just install those again to itنs default locations.

• 3 weeks later...

Nope, you'll have to change the scripts for that purpose. Open /usr/local/lib/7dtd/commands/updateengine.sh, go to line 77 and add "-beta alpha10.3" right behind the "294420":

./steamcmd.sh +login $STEAM_USER $STEAM_PASS +force_install_dir $SDTD_BASE/engine "+app_update 294420 -beta alpha10.3" validate +quit

Should work that way. You'll have to do a update with --force then though as the buildid will obviously be lower than the current one.

Is there anything special that needs to be done to migrate instances from one machine to another? I did a backup from 7dtd.sh and copied that to the new server but I can't connect. Status shows it running but no open ports. I can connect if I make a new instance on the new server.

Hello, as a kinda new guy on Linux, I tried to install the server automatically with bootstrap.sh. After it, I did setup my server like said on 7dtd.illy.bz/wiki, but when I try to start it, it always "fail".

This is what I get in the log :

/usr/local/lib/7dtd/start-stop-daemon/start-stop-daemon: unable to start /home/sdtd/engine/7DaysToDie.x86 (Permission denied)

Actually, I'm on a 64 bits Ubuntu dedicated server, with every prerequisites checked, and I don't really know what to do... We tried, with a friend, to uninstall and manually install, but we had the same problem. Any help, please?

Hello, as a kinda new guy on Linux, I tried to install the server automatically with bootstrap.sh. After it, I did setup my server like said on 7dtd.illy.bz/wiki, but when I try to start it, it always "fail".

This is what I get in the log :

/usr/local/lib/7dtd/start-stop-daemon/start-stop-daemon: unable to start /home/sdtd/engine/7DaysToDie.x86 (Permission denied)

Actually, I'm on a 64 bits Ubuntu dedicated server, with every prerequisites checked, and I don't really know what to do... We tried, with a friend, to uninstall and manually install, but we had the same problem. Any help, please?

Hm, almost looks like there's something wrong with the game download. Did you check if the contents of the engine-folder look right? E.g. is there a 7DaysToDie.x86, 7DaysToDie_Data/, Data/ ...?

a question about the script , I can start multible instances , can I in each other a xml for example recipes Start ?

If I got you right you want different recipes.xml and stuff for different instances? If so, that's currently not possible with that server layout as the game always loads those files from the same folder.

• 1 month later...

@ Alloc

First, truly, thanks for the mapping feature tie-in to FRT Server Manager.

Now for my question...

Is there a way to limit what is seen on the mapping feature? Ideally, Admins and Mods see everything. Normal everyday users only see the opened map areas (unless I allow them to see other things like claim areas and such).

I am not sure if your considering (or if it is even possible) something like this?

Thanks again.

The mapping feature is available on any web browser on the right IP:PORT of your server, if the server fixes are installed, and IIRC the webconsole. FRT uses an integrated browser window to get this in the SM.

There is another more comprehensive mapping feature built off of this I think. It's called CORPSES. I haven't been able to get it to run, because of a telnet password issue but it looks awesome. Perhaps it has the features you are looking for.

Why does no one understand the difference between Linux scripts and a server mod? :(

Well, anyway ... some permissions are planned for the future but this thing is mostly meant for administration/moderation of a server, not for giving people more ingame power (e.g. by seeing all the map). If you want such features I actually do recommend using one of the tools built on top of the mapping in this mod (though I don't know what level of permissions they provide either).

Also work on the web part is highly delayed currently due to other important things on the engine to work on first ;)

Why does no one understand the difference between Linux scripts and a server mod? :(

Sorry, I haven't looked at programming code in well over 20 years. As you may imagine, ALOT has changed between then and now.

Well, anyway ... some permissions are planned for the future but this thing is mostly meant for administration/moderation of a server, not for giving people more ingame power (e.g. by seeing all the map). If you want such features I actually do recommend using one of the tools built on top of the mapping in this mod (though I don't know what level of permissions they provide either).

Also work on the web part is highly delayed currently due to other important things on the engine to work on first ;)

Thank you for the information. I figured it never hurt to ask a question. (can't learn if you don't ask)

• 2 weeks later...
Is it possible to make a cron task that:

a) saves the world automatically every 10 minutes

b) restarts the server if it goes offline.

Would be kinda usefull.

I have a crontab that telnets into the server every 15 minutes and runs saveworld. As for starting if it goes offline, I suppose a very uncomplicated way would be to have a crontab that simply runs the 7dtd.sh start (instance name) every 10-15 minutes. If it's already started then nothing will happen. If it's offline, it will start it. What do you think is going to make your server go offline though? an unexpected reboot? Just use an @reboot crontab in that case.

@up.

Yeah i made a saveworld script that cron runs every 10 mins. It works so far.

As far as restarts are concerned, its kind off buggy. So far its stable, nothing major, but i had some wierd server shutdowns on weekends (first one when player left, second one when all the players left at 4AM, server was empty and it just died). Logs are clean and there's no sign of any kind of error (apart from the ussual ones). So yeah i prefer to have something in case smth like this happens when im sleepin or smth.

• 1 month later...

Running 7dtd.sh updatescripts spits out this:

Scripts are already at the newest version (v.75).

Running 7dtd.sh updateengine spits out this:

Engine is already at the newest build (local: 480993, remote: 1).

I see the update is here: https://7dtd.illy.bz/browser/binary-improvements?rev=224

But can't seem to grab it using this. Any ideas?

Edited by nimh (see edit history)

Digging a bit more, and 75 is the most recent scripts update, but it should be looking for build 576370.

- - - Updated - - -

Type

7dtd.sh uprageengine --force

Should update it.

Ah nice, ty!