Native Linux server (with management scripts)

Alloc

Scripts aren't related to how the server is running, they just start it (besides allowing to set up the config but worst case here would be an outdated option but the log would cleary state this).

Sorry, i guess i should have been a little more specific. Using updateengine, i login to steam and get a ton of errors while downloading the update. Then, when trying to connect to the server, it just hangs at connecting to server after inputting the password.

SteamCMD is known to show a lot of ♥♥♥♥, mostly it doesn't hurt anything though. Of course it *could* also plain fail to download so I'd recommend to delete the engine-folder and run updateeninge again.

Well, deleting the engine folder didn't help. Not even asking for my password. I bet if create a new instance it will work. how easy is it to copy over my old map to the new instance? Seems like i tried in the past but could never get it to work.

Think i found the problem.

I made a new instance, copied over my old map and player files (not old config), and started the server. Went to connect and it hangs again at "connecting to server xxx.xxx....".

check the log file and found this:

UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path "/home/sdtd/instances/server/config.xml" is denied.
 at System.IO.FileStream..ctor (System.String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, Boolean anonymous, FileOptions options) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
 at System.IO.FileStream..ctor (System.String path, FileMode mode) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
 at (wrapper remoting-invoke-with-check) System.IO.FileStream:.ctor (string,System.IO.FileMode)
 at GameStartupHelper.C (System.String ) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
 at GameStartupHelper.ParseCommandLine (System.String[] args) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
 at GameManager.Awake () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

(Filename:  Line: -1)

Not sure why im being denied. My user has access. Only thing i did was try to update to 12.4 then all this stuff started happening. My files are updated to 12.4 now, btw.

Edited by Zilla (see edit history)

Sorry for posting so much... It won't let me edit my old post after like 10 mins or so.

ok, so i'm getting somewhere.

i edited the permissions to allow pretty much everyone access to the config and map directory.

It actually asked for my password this time but then hung up at connecting to server again. here is what i think the problem is:

2015-07-24T18:31:47 11.932 INF StartGame done
2015-07-24T18:31:47 12.014 INF ************************Weather Packages Created FROM BIOMES   ************************
2015-07-24T18:31:47 12.016 INF ************************ SKY INITIALIZED ************************
2015-07-24T18:31:47 12.054 INF Load key config check
2015-07-24T18:31:47 12.055 INF Reset key config
2015-07-24T18:31:47 12.056 INF Save key config
A client which was not in the connected player list disconnected. ???

(Filename:  Line: 1900)

Setting up 1 worker threads for Enlighten.
 Thread -> id: d5781b40 -> priority: 1 
2015-07-24T18:31:49 14.106 INF [NET] PlayerConnected EntityID=-1, PlayerID='', OwnerID='', PlayerName=''
2015-07-24T18:31:49 14.268 INF PlayerLogin: Zilla/Alpha 12.4
2015-07-24T18:31:49 14.268 INF Token length: 1368
2015-07-24T18:31:49 14.273 INF [steamworks.NET] Auth.AuthenticateUser()
InvalidOperationException: Steamworks is not initialized.
 at Steamworks.InteropHelp.TestIfAvailableGameServer () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
 at Steamworks.SteamGameServer.BeginAuthSession (System.Byte[] pAuthTicket, Int32 cbAuthTicket, CSteamID steamID) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
 at AuthenticationServer.AuthenticateUser (.ClientInfo _cInfo, .AuthenticateUserCallback _delegate) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
 at GameManager.PlayerLoginRPC (.ClientInfo _cInfo, System.String _playerName, System.String _playerId, System.String _token, System.String _compatibilityVersion) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
 at NetPackagePlayerLogin.ProcessPackage (.World _world, INetConnectionCallbacks _netConnectionCallback) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
 at ConnectionManager.JF (INetConnection , NetPackageDirection ) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
 at ConnectionManager.Update () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

(Filename:  Line: -1)

Platform assembly: /home/sdtd/engine/7DaysToDieServer_Data/Managed/Mono.Security.dll (this message is harmless)
2015-07-24T18:31:51 15.725 INF [steamworks.NET] GameServer.Init successful
2015-07-24T18:31:52 17.168 INF [steamworks.NET] GameServer.LogOn successful
2015-07-24T18:32:18 42.391 INF Time: 0.50m FPS: 40.21 Heap: 182.0MB Max: 182.0MB Chunks: 0 CGO: 0 Ply: 0 Zom: 0 Ent: 0 (20) Items: 20

Update****

Weird, just retried and it connected... slowly, but connected.

I'm at a loss.

Edited by Zilla (see edit history)

Hey there, I am able to start the server, it shows as running with 7dtd.sh status Autarchous, but clients are not prompted for passwords. Just get the "Could not connect to server: Could not retrieve server information" message.

I am not sure what's up. The port is available, the IP and port is correct on the client machine and both computers are on the same local network.

Here's the output_log:

http://pastebin.com/giiD2sB1

Thanks in advance for the help!

ok, so i'm getting somewhere.

i edited the permissions to allow pretty much everyone access to the config and map directory.

It actually asked for my password this time but then hung up at connecting to server again. here is what i think the problem is:

Update****

Weird, just retried and it connected... slowly, but connected.

I'm at a loss.

Full log?

Hey there, I am able to start the server, it shows as running with 7dtd.sh status Autarchous, but clients are not prompted for passwords. Just get the "Could not connect to server: Could not retrieve server information" message. ...

SocketException: Address already in use

You set the ServerPort to something that's already in use by another process, at least on TCP.

• 2 weeks later...

The server does cause problems. The console (Telnet) isnt accessible after a while and so the engine seems to be frozen.

The problem is random by nature and it happens with only a few players too.

Afterwards we have to shutdown the server per (SSH) with the command: "7dtd.sh kill intancename" but the server doesnt shutdown properly. The world isnt saved. (force kill)

Hey, I haven't read the last 47 pages, so maybe I'm reading the last comment out of context, but can't you just do "sa" from the ingame console (~) before killing the process so your game is saved?

I run my 7DTD server on Ubuntu and I just do "sa" and then ctrl-C the server because I can't be bothered to telnet and figure out the proper shutdown command.

Afterwards we have to shutdown the server per (SSH) with the command: "7dtd.sh kill intancename" but the server doesnt shutdown properly. The world isnt saved. (force kill)

It has been this way for serveral major versions. Don't keep you hopes up. Linux server just won't get fixed. (Sorry, Alloc)

Hey, I haven't read the last 47 pages, so maybe I'm reading the last comment out of context, but can't you just do "sa" from the ingame console (~) before killing the process so your game is saved?

It's frozen, hardly helpful to do "saveworld".

I run my 7DTD server on Ubuntu and I just do "sa" and then ctrl-C the server because I can't be bothered to telnet and figure out the proper shutdown command.

That's not a safe process, your still interrupting processes, how about "shutdown"? ;)

Ah my bad. Only part I understood was that the telnet server was frozen, did not realize the entire game was frozen too.

I don't want to type shutdown! Then I have to telnet...oops I guess I could type it into my Squiggly ~ window :p oh well.

I don't think my server has ever frozen...maybe once one day when I decided to see what happened when I filled a building with TNT in Creative. It either froze or uber laggy, can't remember which.

I only play with 2 people though and the server is never up for more than a few hours typically.

I don't want to type shutdown! Then I have to telnet...oops I guess I could type it into my Squiggly ~ window :p oh well.

Just making sure you know you can type it in the game client console... no Squiggly telnet needed.

I only play with 2 people though and the server is never up for more than a few hours typically.

I don't think my server has ever frozen...

You really should learn to prioritize your sentences so the rest of us could decide to ignore your 2 player 2 hour server insight. Hardly a reference setup for troubleshooting.

If you really want help troubleshooting, I'd suggest a new topic that is a bit more clear as to the problem and doesn't involve a newcomer reading 48 pages :)

=D This is part of the TFP experience. They really don't have any comprehension of usability.

The server does cause problems. The console (Telnet) isnt accessible after a while and so the engine seems to be frozen.

The problem is random by nature and it happens with only a few players too.

Logs from when that happened?

If you can run "saveworld" then you can just as well run "shutdown" which does save too but also cleanly shuts down the engine ;)

It has been this way for serveral major versions. Don't keep you hopes up. Linux server just won't get fixed. (Sorry, Alloc)

=D This is part of the TFP experience. They really don't have any comprehension of usability.

If you don't like it why are you still here? Such comments aren't really helping anyone and are plain insulting for the team (incl myself). Give constructive criticism instead and it might help getting things improved...

Logs from when that happened? If you don't like it why are you still here? Such comments aren't really helping anyone and are plain insulting for the team (incl myself). Give constructive criticism instead and it might help getting things improved...

The game doesn't do logging in any constructive sense. Argue all you wan't but logs are the de facto fundamental base of any serious development. Using log messages as blind breakpoints hardly counts as constructive. This has been reported with every single major version and there's no change. The bulk of TFP's bugs are due to missing insight, graphics don't exactly count even if TFP puts their major effort on the only piece that could be developed last and independently.

Unless you intend to refund my game then I might as well make sure you at least knew the right direction.

Please, such comments are all that is left when TFP ignores community feedback, just do the same for comments like this. It has actually become something people asking questions should be aware about, but then again that's something else TFP tends to do, silence the outrage by banning things you don't like.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
just as a heads up, the mapping "sign in through steam" doesnt seem to work when the map is ran in a frame,

I suppose this might be some kind of "security" feature of browsers or Steam's own code. I can't see a reason why it shouldn't work from the code used in the map.

Would it be possible to update the map so the left hand pane can be collapsed (an option to have it collapsed by default/remember a choice would be awesome too)

Yeah, good idea, will add it to my list.

Btw, would have responded way earlier if you had used the thread for the mod instead of the Linux scripts thread ;P