[MOD A17] Better Balance Mod

SurvivalUK

Back again!

Well TFP seem to want to suck more of the fun out of the game for builders, tower defense players and those that don't want limitations imposed! I didn't think that was possible but A17e has arrived.

Usual rules apply, i created this for lan play between me, the missus and our kids. It is tailored for fun openworld play rather than the vanilla first person action zombie shooter. I make no apologies for making things easier to attain, progress quickened, hardened materials resistant to dead fleshy tissue and underground bases a thing again. Play vanilla if you're a masochist (cheers Jolly ;))!

My previous A16 mod to get an idea where this will be heading;

https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?69388-MOD-A16-Better-Balance-Mod-Spikes-guns-mining-building-etc-improvements

This mod is very much a work in progress

Player

Zs

• Random knock down recovery time
  • Loot bag drop increased
  • Dead body time after death reduced
  • Z jumping distance limited
  • Zombie stripper removed
  • Vulture reduced numbers and no acid spit
  • Attack range reduced for all Zs
  • Block damage reduced for all Zs
  • Zs nerf'd against metal, stone, concrete, brick blocks etc. (no more tearing through concrete like butter and underground bases are back!)
  • Zs acid spit attacks removed
  • Greater damage to heads using weapons

Mining, harvesting and loot

• Tree bonuses for taking down full trees
    -Wood (scales with perks)
    -Feathers / eggs (chance of, the bigger the tree the better the chance and more of them)
  • Mining stone bonuses
    -More iron per rock (scales with perks)
    -Chance of scrap iron, coal, lead and nitrate
    -Chance of gems, Silver (4%), Gold (2%) and Diamond (1%)
  • Additional bones from corpses, roadkill and animals

Guns

• Sniper rifle magazine increase to 10 shot
  • More powerful weapons

Progression

• 3 skill points per level up
  • XP required to level up reduced
  • Player level gating on perks removed

Perks

• Pack mule removed
  • Parkour removed

Misc

• Restored log spikes (wood, metal, steel)
  • Restored steel polish (hammer or nail gun required for use)
  • Fill jars from sinks possible
  • Wheels have a *chance* of being harvested from cars and tyres (wrench required)
  • Reduced number of open loot container spawns (mostly cupboard / kitchen related)
  • Increased stack sizes
  • Death recovery tweaked
  • Reduced materials forged iron / steel needed for key items
    -Iron bars much reduced and upgrade from wood bars to iron balanced to match
  • Additional mining helmet options
  • Using the axe, hammer or nail gun to upgrade blocks is now faster
  • Meat recipe balances
  • Gravel and sand stability improved so less likely to cave in on miners
  • Trader pricing balanced (still very early days)
  • Chemistry sets can now be destroyed for loot
    -small - beaker (10%), scrap iron, metal pipe
    -medium - beaker (50%), forged iron, metal pipe
    -large - beaker (75%), forged iron, metal pipe
  • Vehicle speeds and turning quicken (shift key boost speed remains only on the bicycle)
    - Bicycle 10m/s (12m/s boost speed)
    - Minibike 15m/s
    - Motobike 20m/s
    - Truck 20m/s

Planned

• Review perk tree and see if it is possible to put back in recipes for now gated items
  • Tweak loot tables
  • Way more balancing needed
  • More forge slots etc. similar to A16 BBM's

Usual disclaimers

• Use at own risk, i've not had a lot of testing time at this early stage (see the next point)
  • Start a new game and dedicate it to this mod until i have more testing time for stability and balance
  • With the exception of the Bigger Bag code (speak to KhaineGB) you can use any of the code i've put into the files for any purpose (another mod, tweak your own mod, chop / change etc.), i've tried to label things to make life easy. It's a community we share so go for it!

** Can't stress it enough but back up existing saves prior to updating! Saves are located %appdata%\7DaysToDie\ on the PC **

Download / History

****** DO NOT UPGRADE to v1.8 or newer until you've read this post <link> ******

2019/01/09 - v1.8 (60 slot bag) or (96 slot bag)

-------- previous builds --------

2019/01/04 - v1.7 (60 slot bag) or (96 slot bag)

2018/12/30 - v1.6 (60 slot bag) or (96 slot bag)

2018/12/29 - v1.5 (60 slot bag) or (96 slot bag)

2018/12/22 - v1.4 - compatible with B240 / stable release

2018/12/19 - v1.3

2018/12/16 - v1.2

2018/11/28 - v1.1

2018/11/26 - v1.0 - Initial release

Extract files to your \7 Days To Die\Mods folder, create the folder if it doesn't exist and use the latest edition of 7Zip / Winrar

Copy localisation.txt file to \7 Days to Die\Data\Config\ folder if you want mining helmet descriptions / perks to reflect change in requirements.

Installation instructions here : https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?94223-MOD-A17-Better-Balance-Mod&p=914167&viewfull=1#post914167

I used to use a mod for v16.4 that let you get water from sinks and toilets and had working ovens. The ovens worked like a campfire. I loved this mod and it would be great to have that again. Thing is I would like it as a separate mod as I would with some of the things in your mod because I like some of the parts of your mod, but not others.

No offense, I appreciate the work and effort. I would just like to have a choice of what I could install. Would that be something you could be willing to consider with your mod? Perhaps make a pack of individual parts the user could install?

I would like infinite ammo and durability for all weapons and tools too.

I used to use a mod for v16.4 that let you get water from sinks and toilets and had working ovens. The ovens worked like a campfire. I loved this mod and it would be great to have that again. Thing is I would like it as a separate mod as I would with some of the things in your mod because I like some of the parts of your mod, but not others.

No offense, I appreciate the work and effort. I would just like to have a choice of what I could install. Would that be something you could be willing to consider with your mod? Perhaps make a pack of individual parts the user could install?

Zagan, if you're looking to do an infinite ammo/durability thing, why wouldn't you just play with creative mode on all the time? Sounds like you're looking for ultimate cheats, rather than playing the game for what it is...

I agree, I would also like to use some of this mod but not all such as:

Sight range and angle reduced

Dead body time after death reduced

Z jumping distance limited (needs a proper horde night review, not had chance yet)

Vulture reduced numbers and no acid spit

Attack range reduced for all Zs

Block damage reduced for all Zs

Zs nerf'd against metal, stone, concrete, brick blocks etc. (no more tearing through concrete like butter and underground bases are back!)

Can you please provide that?

Excuse my poor English, I'm French! I look forward to your mod that gives me hope for pvp games :smile-new: . The parkour system removed, and the return picks, were all that was needed to revive the PVP. In advance, thank you very much for your work.

No problems at all and many thanks! Always happy to share and if people like it or bits of it all that's cool :)

- - - Updated - - -

A17 is more for masochists than sadists, just sayin. Is this gonna go on the mod launcher ?

I'll reach out to @sphereii and ask if the A17 version can be added in.

Oh and yeah, masochists! doh :D

- - - Updated - - -

Nice work :D

I'm waiting for that !

Top of the list to make mining worth the effort.

I'm sure Valmod had working ovens and i'm kinda 50/50 on the idea but i'll stick it on a 'investigate' list.

As for the mod itself it's a pure overhaul and meant to be a packaged. Editing lots of Modlets to bring it all together would be rabbit hole of work with what i'm trying to do. With that said this is why i added comments within the xml files so anyone can cherry pick bits in or out.

I agree, I would also like to use some of this mod but not all such as:

Sight range and angle reduced

Dead body time after death reduced

Z jumping distance limited (needs a proper horde night review, not had chance yet)

Vulture reduced numbers and no acid spit

Attack range reduced for all Zs

Block damage reduced for all Zs

Zs nerf'd against metal, stone, concrete, brick blocks etc. (no more tearing through concrete like butter and underground bases are back!)

Can you please provide that?

I'm going to add additional explanations within the xml's so more code can be edited in / out in the next version.

e.g. entityclasses.xml

<BetterBalanceMod>
<!-- Player -->
<!-- Bag mod -->
	<set xpath="/entity_classes/entity_class[@name='playerMale']/effect_group/passive_effect[@name='CarryCapacity']/@value">60</set>
	<set xpath="/entity_classes/entity_class[@name='playerMale']/effect_group/passive_effect[@name='BagSize']/@value">60</set>
<!-- Jump over 2 block high -->
	<set xpath="/entity_classes/entity_class[@name='playerMale']/effect_group/passive_effect[@name='JumpStrength']/@value">0.2</set>
<!-- Reduce impact of lack of food and health on overall stamina and health -->
	<set xpath="/entity_classes/entity_class[@name='playerMale']/effect_group/passive_effect[@name='WaterLossPerHealthPointGained']/@value">0.03</set>
	<set xpath="/entity_classes/entity_class[@name='playerMale']/effect_group/passive_effect[@name='WaterLossPerStaminaPointGained']/@value">0.003</set>
	<set xpath="/entity_classes/entity_class[@name='playerMale']/effect_group/passive_effect[@name='HealthLossMaxMult']/@value">0.08</set>
	<set xpath="/entity_classes/entity_class[@name='playerMale']/effect_group/passive_effect[@name='StaminaLossMaxMult']/@value">0.003</set>
<!-- Reduce impact of running, jumping and swimming -->
	<set xpath="/entity_classes/entity_class[@name='playerMale']/effect_group/passive_effect[@name='StaminaChangeOT' and @tags='running']/@value">1.3</set>
	<set xpath="/entity_classes/entity_class[@name='playerMale']/effect_group/passive_effect[@name='StaminaLoss' and @tags='jumping']/@value">8</set>
	<set xpath="/entity_classes/entity_class[@name='playerMale']/effect_group/passive_effect[@name='StaminaLoss' and @tags='swimming']/@value">30</set>
<!-- Loot and player bag remain for longer -->
	<set xpath="/entity_classes/entity_class[@name='Backpack']/property[@name='TimeStayAfterDeath']/@value">3600</set>
	<set xpath="/entity_classes/entity_class[@name='DroppedLootContainer']/property[@name='TimeStayAfterDeath']/@value">240</set>
	<set xpath="/entity_classes/entity_class[@name='EntityLootContainerRegular']/property[@name='TimeStayAfterDeath']/@value">1200</set>
	<set xpath="/entity_classes/entity_class[@name='EntityLootContainerStrong']/property[@name='TimeStayAfterDeath']/@value">1200</set>
	<set xpath="/entity_classes/entity_class[@name='EntityLootContainerBoss']/property[@name='TimeStayAfterDeath']/@value">1200</set>
	<set xpath="/entity_classes/entity_class[@name='EntityLootContainerBandit']/property[@name='TimeStayAfterDeath']/@value">1200</set>
<!-- Zombies -->
<!-- Zs stay down for longer -->
	<set xpath="/entity_classes/entity_class/property[@name='KnockdownProneStunDuration']/@value">1.5,4.0</set>
	<set xpath="/entity_classes/entity_class/property[@name='KnockdownKneelStunDuration']/@value">1.5,4.0</set>
<!-- Reduce jumping distances -->
	<set xpath="/entity_classes/entity_class[@name='zombieTemplateMale']/property[@name='JumpMaxDistance']/@value">2.2</set>
	<set xpath="/entity_classes/entity_class[@name='zombieWightFeral']/property[@name='JumpMaxDistance']/@value">3</set>
	<set xpath="/entity_classes/entity_class[@name='zombieSpider']/property[@name='JumpMaxDistance']/@value">4</set>
	<set xpath="/entity_classes/entity_class[@name='zombieSpiderFeral']/property[@name='JumpMaxDistance']/@value">6</set>
<!-- Reduce Zs visbility -->
	<set xpath="/entity_classes/entity_class[@name='zombieTemplateMale']/property[@name='SightRange']/@value">25</set>
	<set xpath="/entity_classes/entity_class[@name='zombieTemplateMale']/property[@name='MaxViewAngle']/@value">170</set>
<!-- Increase loot drop chance -->
	<set xpath="/entity_classes/entity_class[@name='zombieTemplateMale']/property[@name='LootDropProb']/@value">0.15</set>
<!-- How long the Z body remains -->
	<set xpath="/entity_classes/entity_class[@name='zombieTemplateMale']/property[@name='TimeStayAfterDeath']/@value">20</set>
</BetterBalanceMod>

v1.1 updated in OP

• Tree bonuses for taking down full trees
    -Wood (scales with perks)
    -Feathers / eggs (chance of, the bigger the tree the better the chance and more of them)
  • Mining stone bonuses
    -More iron per rock (scales with perks)
    -Chance of scrap iron, coal, lead and nitrate
    -Chance of gems, Silver (4%), Gold (2%) and Diamond (1%)
  • Reduced number of open loot container spawns (mostly cupboard / kitchen related)

Zagan, if you're looking to do an infinite ammo/durability thing, why wouldn't you just play with creative mode on all the time? Sounds like you're looking for ultimate cheats, rather than playing the game for what it is...

That is like saying "Why don't you play with no mods at all?" Just because I like to make the game easier instead of making it more difficult does not mean my request is not a valid one. If you won't make a mod that does what I asked for because of your moral limitations about cheating then just say you don't make cheats. In fact, if that is how you feel you need not post anything at all. You don't need to come down on me for the way I like to play my game.

If you can't make the mod I asked for because you don't know how then just say you can't and leave it at that. Yeah, I like to cheat, so what? How does that affect you? Not at all. So how about we just play the game the way we like and have fun?

Besides, you don't seem to have a problems with more bag slots, stamina cost reduced, being able to get water from faucets, zombie attack range reduced, zombie block damage reduced, and the many other "cheats" in this mod. Isn't that a little more than hypocritical?

My apologies to the OP, I think your work is awesome and I thank you for it. Sorry if I had a bit of a rant here.

• 3 weeks later...

v1.2 updated in OP

Loads of tweaks log spikes back, stamina (power attacks), forged iron / steel resource reductions, more powerful guns etc.

As before i highly recommend starting a new game or at least backup any existing game before using the mod as a whole.

- - - Updated - - -

My apologies to the OP, I think your work is awesome and I thank you for it. Sorry if I had a bit of a rant here.

No worries :)

no his work isnt life saving its a god send and work of freaking art not to mention he keeps reading my mind :p

heheh thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

Really glad to see this mod. Almost everything that I need for a builder in a sp game. I hope it stays updated till alpha 17 stable gets released. Thank you!

No worries at all and keeping it updated is the plan :)

- - - Updated - - -

Nice one still would need to a 90BBM :smile-new:

Drop @KhaineGB 96 BBM xpath files into the mod directory after extracting this first and you should be good to go.

https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?94262-A17-Bigger-Backpack-Mod

v1.4 updated in the OP (60 BBM version only so far)

I keep trying to balance the stamina use out and v1.3 just caused the stamina blackout of the bar to be a hair too fast for me so rolled it back to v1.2 behavior. It means the bar won't blackout quite as fast and need constant hydration. It's a marginal differences but it feels better like this, another play through is needed though to confirm.

• Tweaked stamina use (again)
  • Upped mining rewards (again)
  • Improved block upgrade speed of stone axe, hammer and nailgun, far too slow in vanilla for builders!
  • Trying to balance traders (needs a lot more testing)
    -Reduce pricing gouging
    -Even out extreme in price range from lvl 1 to 6 items

v1.4 updated in the OP (60 BBM version only so far)

I keep trying to balance the stamina use out and v1.3 just caused the stamina blackout of the bar to be a hair too fast for me so rolled it back to v1.2 behavior. It means the bar won't blackout quite as fast and need constant hydration. It's a marginal differences but it feels better like this, another play through is needed though to confirm.

• Tweaked stamina use (again)
  • Upped mining rewards (again)
  • Improved block upgrade speed of stone axe, hammer and nailgun, far too slow in vanilla for builders!
  • Trying to balance traders (needs a lot more testing)
    -Reduce pricing gouging
    -Even out extreme in price range from lvl 1 to 6 items

Hey, the experimental increments come so fast I've a question: Can you put the working 7d2d build your mods work on ?

I really want to try these changes but I'm affraid they're not for the current build and it'll break everything (in subtle ways).

Thanks.

Archived