[MOD A17] Better Balance Mod

SurvivalUK

Thanks man for the 96 BBM, I ll test that 1.5 version ASAP :) wOOp wOOp

No worries at all! Even with 96 slots still have fun and games with inventory management :D

- - - Updated - - -

Bone is now a very difficult resource to come by :D

Too true, bone / duct tape more valuable than guns lol.

I feel a small tweak of bone drops coming on...

Any chance you can upload a different version without the 60 slot backpack or tell us how to manually disable it through the XML? This is a great mod btw!

EDIT: Actually nevermind I just figured it out. If anyone needs to know how just delete loot.xml and windows.xml under XUI.

Also delete these lines in enityclasses.xml :

Well done for having a poke around the XMLs. If you haven't already and depending what you want to do you might want to restore the Pack Mule perk too;

progression.xml

<!-- removed perks -->
	<remove xpath="/progression/perks/perk[@name='perkPackMule']" />

Delete the <remove xpath line :)

OP updated with v1.6

• Metal log spike tweaks
  • Iron bar balances
    -upgrade from wood bars to iron now 2 forged iron
  • Additional bones from corpses (inc body bags), roadkill and animals
    -when using harvesting tools
  • Chemistry sets can now be destroyed for loot (previously cosmetic only)
    -small - beaker (10%), scrap iron, metal pipe
    -medium - beaker (50%), forged iron, metal pipe
    -large - beaker (75%), forged iron, metal pipe

I love this mod, but I don't know if its the mod or something else, but twice now when my charactor has hot level 50 or so everything seems to go haywire. I get a failure to load character and it rolls back my charactor to level one. I lose my armor but keep my clothes, my dukes turn into a stack of aloe vera(growing) that if I try to transfer fills up whatever inventory I put it into due to a weird improper stack. My world stays fine, loot asnd structures all there, some storage box nonsense but don't think thats a mod thing. The only common trend is building in the barn in navesgane, did it both times. Kinda annoying though, as both times I made a nice hoard base that sucks if I have to reset.

Again, don't have a clue if it's your mod, never made it that far in a17 non modded, but figure I'd mention it. Great mod though, a17 is a little too hardcore for me in stock form, this mod makes the game so much fun, like WoW fun.

I love this mod, but I don't know if its the mod or something else, but twice now when my charactor has hot level 50 or so everything seems to go haywire. I get a failure to load character and it rolls back my charactor to level one. I lose my armor but keep my clothes, my dukes turn into a stack of aloe vera(growing) that if I try to transfer fills up whatever inventory I put it into due to a weird improper stack. My world stays fine, loot asnd structures all there, some storage box nonsense but don't think thats a mod thing. The only common trend is building in the barn in navesgane, did it both times. Kinda annoying though, as both times I made a nice hoard base that sucks if I have to reset.

Again, don't have a clue if it's your mod, never made it that far in a17 non modded, but figure I'd mention it. Great mod though, a17 is a little too hardcore for me in stock form, this mod makes the game so much fun, like WoW fun.

Hey there and thanks for the great feedback :)

I can't see any reason why it might have caused an issue. In vanilla game terms there is a max player level of 300 and the only thing i've changed regarding progression is reduced xp required between player level ups and increased rewards points. Neither should break a character at level 50.

I've have checked and got a character up to level 49 then leveled to 50 and it seemed fine. I then took the character to level 97 with everything intact.

Sorry i couldn't help and curious if anyone else had a similar issue, modded or vanilla.

From 49 to 50

20190101192119-1.jpg

2019-01-01-19-41-37-Clipboard.jpg

20190101192720-1.jpg

Killing zombies being the only way to advance really kills this game for builders like myself when my friends are given the scavenger/killing roles.

Are you able to add this for the rest of us?:

-Drastic Xp increase for all non zombie-killing activities.

My friend can whack a few zombies and level up whilst i dig/mine/farm all day and dont even level up once. I dont just feel cheated, but i feel like my playstyle is being cut out of the game. Its like im being told to get lost when im doing vital and honestly choresome work.

To show the difference...he's hit level 22 and im still stuck at level 4, thats the massive disparity between us and it really doesnt feel fair.

Killing zombies being the only way to advance really kills this game for builders like myself when my friends are given the scavenger/killing roles.

Are you able to add this for the rest of us?:

-Drastic Xp increase for all non zombie-killing activities.

My friend can whack a few zombies and level up whilst i dig/mine/farm all day and dont even level up once. I dont just feel cheated, but i feel like my playstyle is being cut out of the game. Its like im being told to get lost when im doing vital and honestly choresome work.

To show the difference...he's hit level 22 and im still stuck at level 4, thats the massive disparity between us and it really doesnt feel fair.

Hey SnakeWildlife,

Firstly i feel your pain! I've spent a while thinking of a few ways this could be done and it's tricky not unbalancing gameplay. I have tried a couple of things and I think i've come up with a potential way of making 'working' more XP profitable. Not by a huge amount but certainly better than it is now.

The problem is any gain in mining and farming XP will have to be offsite with lower XP from Z's. That's because in MP games a Z slayers will go off and farm Z XP, come back to base then potentially mine or whatever so the divide will remain. It's tricky.

In an ideal world they'd be a class system, warrior, builder, miner etc. Each with similar equivalency in the potential to gain XP from their respective tasks. The problem is while that works in MP, in SP for someone who wants to be a jack of all trades it falls flat.

I'll try out a few ideas, i can't promise anything but i'll try.

When I try to unlock Metal Forging or try to costruct The Motorcycle, I am barred from doing so until I rank up my intellect. I am at 10/10 for intellect, so I am not sure what the problem is... Hope you can help. Cheers.

Hi,

Double check you are using the latest build of the mod v1.6, up to v1.4 player level requirements were need as well as intellect level. From v1.5 those requirements were removed.

2018/12/30 - v1.6 (60 slot bag) or (96 slot bag)

OP updated with v1.7

• Greater XP gains for harvesting wood, stone and dirt
  • Fixed an issue with the additional mining helmets
  • Updated localisation.txt to include the mod version number on the save game loading screen
    -remember to copy only this file to your \7 Days to Die\Data\Config\

Hi. To return skill requirments I need to remove <!-- Add perks back minus player level gates -->(whole line belong to this)?

Hi,

The following sections need removing to return the skill requirements for perks to vanilla :)

<!-- the following are removed to add back in later -->
	<remove xpath="/progression/perks/perk[@name='perkHammerForge']" />
	<remove xpath="/progression/perks/perk[@name='perkGreaseMonkey']" />
	<remove xpath="/progression/perks/perk[@name='perkAdvancedEngineering']" />

and

<!-- Add perks back minus player level gates -->
<append xpath="/progression/perks">
	<perk name="perkHammerForge" parent="skillCraftsmanship" max_level="5" name_key="perkHammerForgeName" desc_key="perkHammerForgeDesc" icon="ui_game_symbol_forge">
		<level_requirements level="1"><requirement name="ProgressionLevel" progression_name="attIntellect" operation="GTE" value="4" desc_key="reqIntellectLevel04-10"/></level_requirements>
		<level_requirements level="2"><requirement name="ProgressionLevel" progression_name="attIntellect" operation="GTE" value="5" desc_key="reqIntellectLevel05-20"/></level_requirements>
		<level_requirements level="3"><requirement name="ProgressionLevel" progression_name="attIntellect" operation="GTE" value="6" desc_key="reqIntellectLevel06-35"/></level_requirements>
		<level_requirements level="4"><requirement name="ProgressionLevel" progression_name="attIntellect" operation="GTE" value="8" desc_key="reqIntellectLevel08-70"/></level_requirements>
		<level_requirements level="5"><requirement name="ProgressionLevel" progression_name="attIntellect" operation="GTE" value="10" desc_key="reqIntellectLevel10-100"/></level_requirements>
		<effect_group>
			<passive_effect name="RecipeTagUnlocked" operation="base_set" value="1" level="1,5" tags="forge,toolAnvil"/>
			<passive_effect name="RecipeTagUnlocked" operation="base_set" value="1" level="2,5" tags="meleeToolFireaxeIron,meleeToolPickaxeIron,meleeToolHoeIron,meleeToolShovelIron,meleeToolClawHammer,meleeToolSledgehammer,meleeToolHuntingKnife,armorLeatherBoots,armorLeatherGloves,armorLeatherHood,armorLeatherChest,armorLeatherPants"/>
			<passive_effect name="RecipeTagUnlocked" operation="base_set" value="1" level="3,5" tags="armorIronBoots,armorIronChest,armorIronGloves,armorIronHelmet,armorIronLegs"/>
			<passive_effect name="RecipeTagUnlocked" operation="base_set" value="1" level="4,5" tags="toolForgeCrucible,resourceArrowHeadSteelAP,resourceForgedSteel,meleeToolPickaxeSteel,meleeToolShovelSteel,meleeToolFireaxeSteel,meleeToolMachete"/>
			<passive_effect name="RecipeTagUnlocked" operation="base_set" value="1" level="5" tags="armorMilitaryHelmet,armorMilitaryVest,armorMilitaryGloves,armorMilitaryLegs,armorMilitaryBoots,armorSteelBoots,armorSteelChest,armorSteelGloves,armorSteelHelmet,armorSteelLegs,"/>
			<effect_description level="1" desc_key="perkHammerForgeRank1Desc"/>
			<effect_description level="2" desc_key="perkHammerForgeRank2Desc"/>
			<effect_description level="3" desc_key="perkHammerForgeRank3Desc"/>
			<effect_description level="4" desc_key="perkHammerForgeRank4Desc"/>
			<effect_description level="5" desc_key="perkHammerForgeRank5Desc"/>
		</effect_group>
	</perk>

<perk name="perkGreaseMonkey" parent="skillCraftsmanship" name_key="perkGreaseMonkeyName" desc_key="perkGreaseMonkeyDesc" icon="ui_game_symbol_service">
		<level_requirements level="1"><requirement name="ProgressionLevel" progression_name="attIntellect" operation="GTE" value="4" desc_key="reqIntellectLevel04"/></level_requirements>
		<level_requirements level="2"><requirement name="ProgressionLevel" progression_name="attIntellect" operation="GTE" value="5" desc_key="reqIntellectLevel05-25"/></level_requirements>
		<level_requirements level="3"><requirement name="ProgressionLevel" progression_name="attIntellect" operation="GTE" value="7" desc_key="reqIntellectLevel07-50"/></level_requirements>
		<level_requirements level="4"><requirement name="ProgressionLevel" progression_name="attIntellect" operation="GTE" value="9" desc_key="reqIntellectLevel09-85"/></level_requirements>
		<level_requirements level="5"><requirement name="ProgressionLevel" progression_name="attIntellect" operation="GTE" value="10" desc_key="reqIntellectLevel10-120"/></level_requirements>
		<effect_group>
			<passive_effect name="RecipeTagUnlocked" operation="base_set" value="1" level="1,5" tags="vehicleWheels,vehicleBicycleChassis,vehicleBicycleHandlebars,vehicleBicyclePlaceable"/>
			<passive_effect name="RecipeTagUnlocked" operation="base_set" value="1" level="2,5" tags="vehicleMinibikeChassis,vehicleMinibikeHandlebars,vehicleMinibikePlaceable"/>
			<passive_effect name="RecipeTagUnlocked" operation="base_set" value="1" level="3,5" tags="vehicleMotorcycleChassis,vehicleMotorcycleHandlebars,vehicleMotorcyclePlaceable"/>
			<passive_effect name="RecipeTagUnlocked" operation="base_set" value="1" level="4,5" tags="vehicle4x4TruckChassis,vehicle4x4TruckAccessories,vehicle4x4TruckPlaceable"/>
			<passive_effect name="RecipeTagUnlocked" operation="base_set" value="1" level="5" tags="vehicleGyroCopterChassis,vehicleGyroCopterAccessories,vehicleGyrocopterPlaceable"/>
			<effect_description level="1" desc_key="perkGreaseMonkeyRank1Desc"/>
			<effect_description level="2" desc_key="perkGreaseMonkeyRank2Desc"/>
			<effect_description level="3" desc_key="perkGreaseMonkeyRank3Desc"/>
			<effect_description level="4" desc_key="perkGreaseMonkeyRank4Desc"/>
			<effect_description level="5" desc_key="perkGreaseMonkeyRank5Desc"/>
		</effect_group>
	</perk>

<perk name="perkAdvancedEngineering" parent="skillCraftsmanship" name_key="perkAdvancedEngineeringName" desc_key="perkAdvancedEngineeringDesc" icon="ui_game_symbol_workbench">
		<level_requirements level="1"><requirement name="ProgressionLevel" progression_name="attIntellect" operation="GTE" value="5" desc_key="reqIntellectLevel05-25"/></level_requirements>
		<level_requirements level="2"><requirement name="ProgressionLevel" progression_name="attIntellect" operation="GTE" value="7" desc_key="reqIntellectLevel07-40"/></level_requirements>
		<level_requirements level="3"><requirement name="ProgressionLevel" progression_name="attIntellect" operation="GTE" value="8" desc_key="reqIntellectLevel08-60"/></level_requirements>
		<level_requirements level="4"><requirement name="ProgressionLevel" progression_name="attIntellect" operation="GTE" value="9" desc_key="reqIntellectLevel09-80"/></level_requirements>
		<level_requirements level="5"><requirement name="ProgressionLevel" progression_name="attIntellect" operation="GTE" value="10" desc_key="reqIntellectLevel10-100"/></level_requirements>
		<effect_group>
			<passive_effect name="RecipeTagUnlocked" operation="base_set" value="1" level="1,5"
				tags="workbench,tableSaw,generatorbank,electricwirerelay,switch,ceilingLight01_player,gunCrossbow,gunCompoundBow,armorMiningHelmet,armorMiningHelmetMilitary,armorMiningHelmetSteel,armorMiningHelmetSwat"/>
			<passive_effect name="RecipeTagUnlocked" operation="base_set" value="1" level="2,5"
				tags="gunPistol,gunPumpShotgun,gunHuntingRifle,spotlightPlayer,speaker,pressureplate,pressureplateLong,electrictimerrelay,motionsensor,cementMixer,ammoDartSteel,dartTrap"/>
			<passive_effect name="RecipeTagUnlocked" operation="base_set" value="1" level="3,5" tags="tripwirepost,electricfencepost,bladeTrap,gunSMG5,gun44Magnum,gunAK47,gunMR10"/>
			<passive_effect name="RecipeTagUnlocked" operation="base_set" value="1" level="4,5" tags="shotgunTurret,gunRocketLauncher,gunToolNailgun"/>
			<passive_effect name="RecipeTagUnlocked" operation="base_set" value="1" level="5" tags="autoTurret,meleeToolAuger,meleeToolChainsaw"/>
			<effect_description level="1" desc_key="perkAdvancedEngineeringRank1Desc"/>
			<effect_description level="2" desc_key="perkAdvancedEngineeringRank2Desc"/>
			<effect_description level="3" desc_key="perkAdvancedEngineeringRank3Desc"/>
			<effect_description level="4" desc_key="perkAdvancedEngineeringRank4Desc"/>
			<effect_description level="5" desc_key="perkAdvancedEngineeringRank5Desc"/>
		</effect_group>
	</perk>
</append>

You will lose the additional mining helmet unlocks but you could add those back in if needed.

I have got to tell you that I love your mod. I use the 60 space pack because the 96 means I have to squint hard to see the pics. lol

This is truly a re-balance for me. IT HAS MADE THE GAME ENJOYABLE FOR ME! I even had to increase the difficulty. Thanks very much for your mod.

I have got to tell you that I love your mod. I use the 60 space pack because the 96 means I have to squint hard to see the pics. lol

This is truly a re-balance for me. IT HAS MADE THE GAME ENJOYABLE FOR ME! I even had to increase the difficulty. Thanks very much for your mod.

Awesome! Really appreciate the feedback and it's great to hear you're enjoying it, thank you!

- - - Updated - - -

You might want to reduce dukes stack size to something below 32767. Having it at 50K breaks the multiplayer guest game if you interact with a trader (sell or receive quest rewards) while having one of those big stacks of dukes in your inventory.

Oh wow, thanks for the feedback. I'll reduce it down to 32k for dukes in v1.8 which at this stage was just vehicle speed changes.

Should have it updated later :)

Due to the feedback from @just.dont i've reduced the stack size of dukes from 50k to 30k.

Now a big disclaimer because i don't want anyone to break an existing saved game due to this change. I recommend going into any current saved games and note down the number of dukes you have as a precaution before upgrading to v1.8+. Sorry!

The reason for the above is because of my 6 A17 saves (2 mod testing, 2 16k exp maps, 1 sp and 1 mp world) i lost dukes on one of these worlds. I think i had 200k+ dukes in one of my mod testing worlds and it loaded up with blank slots where the dukes were. The other worlds had no issues with the dukes stack reduction but if you value your current world do note down your existing dukes.

After noting down the number of dukes, upgrading to v1.8 (or newer) load your saved game(s) and see if your dukes are still present. If the worst has happened (sorry again) bring up the console (F1), type cm and press enter, press esc then press U on the keyboard. It'll bring up the Creative Menu, type duke into the search and gift yourself a similar number of dukes back again. After you've finished open the console again (F1) and type in cm again to switch off the creative menu.

Now on with the update...

OP updated with v1.8

• Vehicle speeds and turning quicken (shift key boost speed remains only on the bicycle)
    - Bicycle 10m/s (12m/s boost speed)
    - Minibike 15m/s
    - Motobike 20m/s
    - Truck 20m/s
  • Stack size of dukes reduced to 30k (see above)
  • Updated localisation.txt to include the mod version number on the save game loading screen
    -remember to copy only this file to your \7 Days to Die\Data\Config\

TFPs are going to bring out A17.1 soon(ish) which promises to bring stamina / health changes, xp gains for non-Zed killing and some more quality of life balances. Exactly what some of this mod is for. As soon as i can once A17.1 drops i'll see what they did and balance accordingly. Just need a little patience for this but i will be working on it.

Thanks all, have fun :)

I am really enjoying the mod. I felt that getting 3 perk points was a little excessive per level as I'm level 45 on only day 16 and pretty much have 10 points in each of the main attributes. So I've been making my own adjustments. I have a question about the entityclasses.xml file. Where it says something along the lines of

<set xpath="/entity_classes/entity_class[@name=playerMale]/effect_group/passive_effect[@name=StaminaLoss' and @tags='swimming]/@value">30</set>

Does "@name='playerMale'" only effect the male character or both male and female? Because my friend mentioned not being able to jump as high as me, though could be because his framerate is lower? Thank you.

question, if I'm installing this and I run the dedicated server as well, do I need to install this on both my client and the server, can I install it on just the server, or, what's necessary on that point?

You can install it on just the server. Just put the Mods folder in the Data directory like normal. Just to test it you could log in to my server "7DTD US Oregon" it should download the mods automatically and use them specifically for that server"

I've made a few changes to the mod myself. Working on being able to have 3 passengers to sit in the 4x4. But overall feels more balanced now.

Archived