I heard Roland loves graphs. Here's one showing the development progress of 7d2d.

Mephistopheles

Seriously though, the crapshow that is the forums is cancer to the game now. People at each others' throats, being general jerks... Ugh. I used to come here for enjoyment, but now I avoid it for the awkwardly strained attempts at conversation when there's really nothing to say. =(

Seriously though, the crapshow that is the forums is cancer to the game now. People at each others' throats, being general jerks... Ugh. I used to come here for enjoyment, but now I avoid it for the awkwardly strained attempts at conversation when there's really nothing to say. =(

Nah this forum is still pretty great.

Just a bit of impatience at the moment but people are still pretty nice here.

Here's a cute dog to cheer you up.

Sounds like you're having a rough day.

LS8fioc.gif

When the truth hurts, sometimes it's worth asking yourself the harder questions rather than lashing out.

When "the truth" comes along, be sure to let him know so that he can do just that. Until then, I'm sure he would love an answer to his question.

I think the graph is showing the frustration that many are experiencing. I for one have lost interest in 7dtd due to how long this alpha release is taking. it's been 14 months since the last major release. I think The Fun Pimps took Rolands poll back during alpha 15 for 2 month or 6 month A16 cycle and decided "Well obviously they don't mind the wait so lets go all out and polish off the game".

In my humble opinion they should have went with the 6 month rate that the community voted on and stuck with it. get the content that is intended for the game out there for us to test then worry about polishing and bug fixing in beta testing phase. I can't see my self coming back to the game until beta just for the fact that they think 14+ month updates is fine with their paying customers when many bugs havn't been touched.

Do any of you work in a development environment?

Sometimes you can't just release a little snippet of something because people want it. I'm currently working on something that's taken probably 8 months to release, and while I COULD parts at a time, the end product would be crap. And just for comparison's sake, we usually deploy in 2 week periods. It's big, and it needs to be right when the user touches it or it will be a giant flop.

Nothing is more irritating than needing to take time to get things right while the user is complaining about the time it takes. Development takes time, sometimes doing it right takes more time than people like, but the alternative is releasing something broken that disappoints the user anyway.

Give them a damn break.

Do any of you work in a development environment?

Sometimes you can't just release a little snippet of something because people want it. I'm currently working on something that's taken probably 8 months to release, and while I COULD parts at a time, the end product would be crap. And just for comparison's sake, we usually deploy in 2 week periods. It's big, and it needs to be right when the user touches it or it will be a giant flop.

Nothing is more irritating than needing to take time to get things right while the user is complaining about the time it takes. Development takes time, sometimes doing it right takes more time than people like, but the alternative is releasing something broken that disappoints the user anyway.

Give them a damn break.

I do, and I agree that on big projects there often is a long period of development (perhaps running into months or over a year) to either get the initial version created or to do a significant revamp. I've been involved on projects such as this, and it can be unfortunate in a way -- there's a lot of work getting done that isn't seeing the light of day, and the project stakeholders may start to get anxious.

Once you get over that initial hurdle -- and if you're following an Agile approach -- the releases should come faster and with more regularity because you're building onto a solid foundation. That's exactly what happened initially with a release every few months, but now we're in a significant dry spell that's gone on longer than even TFP predicted.

The speculation (I'm not sure how much it is verified) about the Unity engine upgrade causing issues could be one explanation. It could also be a project management/product owner problem. Is someone clamping down on development tasks to ensure scope creep doesn't push out timelines? Is there inefficiency with how the work is being divided between developers?

At least from the outside it's impossible to really know the details, but when your development timeline is getting stretched out unexpectedly by months then something problematic happened, even if the problem was simply misplaced optimism. :smile-new:

Edit: Updated my post to remove a reference to release date, since I don't think TFP ever officially gave one.

Archived