Hal's Prefab Editor

HAL9000

Ahh, ok now that makes sense, and I consider that an actual bug. Go report it. That means the game isn't refreshing it's directory structure properly so when you make that new save it still has a pointer in memory for that last variable pointing at the old location. At-least, that's my 1st guess on why it's probably happening.

Passwords are visible as clear text. Welcome to, we've crapped on your computer and aren't going to tell you we've relocated files. Have no idea how pissed I am. Why, why, WHY are all the game preferences that are stored in a freaking serverconfig.xml file... BEING STORED IN MY FRIGGING REGISTRY (overriding what I write)

^ dude that is nasty wow. I hope that was just early experiments and not in any way what's being done "recently". When I get time later I may obliterate the game entirely, locate and obliterate any trace of the games stuff in registry then reinstall the game and see what it makes in the registry now. Ideally, nothing unrelated to its installation, but based on the above I'm not going to assume that...

[QUOTE=Wsiegel;68316]The save's are created there ONLY if you are still playing a saved game from a previous version. You need to start a new game under 7.10 and it will create the new path under My Documents. [COLOR="silver"][SIZE=1]- - - Updated - - -[/SIZE][/COLOR] Thanks Hal, Yes deleting them brought in the new one... ( doh!)[/QUOTE] Hi wsiegel, can you direct me to the latest prefab editor dl link. I cant seem ti find it. Thanks.

[QUOTE=Laz Man;68375]Hi wsiegel, can you direct me to the latest prefab editor dl link. I cant seem ti find it. Thanks.[/QUOTE] Open the editor and wait for a few seconds, it'll pop up an update screen. Click update and it'll install the latest version.

[QUOTE=DarkNightsComing;68341][url]http://i.imgur.com/bsTcoLB.png[/url] enjoy the example [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/bsTcoLB.png[/IMG] Why are we using xml files then? Hmm Deleted the The Fun Pimps/"subfolder" in the registry. Changed permissions. Removed everyone.... Game still works fine doing so.[/QUOTE] As Land Claim is in there I doubt it's old code. Looks like it's just the info for the current / last game run though rather than for every game ever played.

[QUOTE=HAL9000;68381]As Land Claim is in there I doubt it's old code. Looks like it's just the info for the current / last game run though rather than for every game ever played.[/QUOTE] I clear my registry religiously (every time i close the browser: temp internet crap, history, cookies, googles default folder, registry validated). So I go overboard ;0) But it updates only "a portion" of this information leaving some of it overriding the new game. Before saving or using it (which it should not do at all IMHO, thats what the damn xml file is for), it should wipe its registry key and build it clean.

Not to deviate too far, but question on the editor. Is it possible to define two different types of the "air" block? For example, I may want some air blocks to override what already exists, like for tunnels. But other times it's perfectly acceptable to have null air blocks and let the game overlap blocks onto the prefab for seamless terrain. Another use for this would be inside Qubicle for import. Instead of making hollow matrices I could just define a block to hollow out an area while keeping other areas intact. If this already exists, my apologies but I've not found it. :P

[QUOTE=HAL9000;68285]Hey Wseigel, Delete your BlockData.txt and BlockDataDefault.txt files in your editor folder and open the prefab editor. It'll show up then. Hal[/QUOTE] Hi Hal, I followed these steps and I am still missing the new blocks from the search field. Maybe I have an older prefab editor version? I never received any update prompt when launching the editor as you mentioned.

Hal, I noticed that the launch game button only works if you already have the steam client running. I do get the screen to prompt me to "exit" "login" "webstie", the login does not seam to do anything ( I don't think it is an issue on your end. ) If I start the stem client first. then the launch button works fine. Just thought you might like to know. It look like 7.11 didn't changed any major blocks that I have found.

[QUOTE=Hiyoto;68587]Not to deviate too far, but question on the editor. Is it possible to define two different types of the "air" block? For example, I may want some air blocks to override what already exists, like for tunnels. But other times it's perfectly acceptable to have null air blocks and let the game overlap blocks onto the prefab for seamless terrain. Another use for this would be inside Qubicle for import. Instead of making hollow matrices I could just define a block to hollow out an area while keeping other areas intact. If this already exists, my apologies but I've not found it. :P[/QUOTE] No, that's not possible. There's a flag for if you want to copy the air blocks or have the surrounding terrain instead but you can't mix and match within the same prefab. This comes from the game itself so there's not much I can do to change it. [QUOTE=Laz Man;68674]Hi Hal, I followed these steps and I am still missing the new blocks from the search field. Maybe I have an older prefab editor version? I never received any update prompt when launching the editor as you mentioned.[/QUOTE] Those steps would only help if you're running the latest version (I should really have it display what version it is somewhere, I'll add that in). If you want to make sure delete everything from your editor folder (except Settings.txt if you want to keep your steamID etc). Use the download link in the first post and extract it. Once you open it the editor will pop up an update message after a few seconds. [QUOTE=Wsiegel;68863]Hal, I noticed that the launch game button only works if you already have the steam client running. I do get the screen to prompt me to "exit" "login" "webstie", the login does not seam to do anything ( I don't think it is an issue on your end. ) If I start the stem client first. then the launch button works fine. Just thought you might like to know. It look like 7.11 didn't changed any major blocks that I have found.[/QUOTE] Yeah steam needs to be running in order for the game to work. All the editor does is simulate double-clicking on the 7DTD icon. Thanks for the update with the blocks.

@HAL - You can use the technique I use if interested. I code for scenarios where steam exists or doesn't. If steam does exist, the following will make it possible to launch steam automatically and then launch the game. If steam is already running it will also work perfectly. This is why in my editor you can do a launch game and it'll always work: I did this not only to provide those scenarios but so when the game is launched, the in-game Steam UI is available. If you don't do it like this, even if steam is running and you just launch the EXE for the game it won't provide the in-game Steam UI. [code] var p = new System.Diagnostics.Process(); var psi = new System.Diagnostics.ProcessStartInfo() { Arguments = "-applaunch 251570", FileName = steamExe, WorkingDirectory = gamePath }; p.StartInfo = psi; p.Start(); [/code] Let me know any questions.

Is anyone having issues with persistence when trying to remove a prefab from a save or the game for that matter? I didn't see a mention of this yet so I'm wondering if I'm the only one having this issue. Basically I added a prefab to my save. Let's call this save abc. I wanted to make some changes to my prefab so I needed to clear the regions Cleared regions (verified) from save abc Joined save abc Prefabs still present in save abc Started a fresh save. We'll call this one 123 Joined save 123 Prefab is somehow present on new save 123 Deleted entire "C:\Users\username\Documents\7 Days To Die\Saves\Navezgane" directory Started new save called abc123 Prefabs somehow present in same locaiton Deleted entire "D:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\7 Days To Die\Data\Worlds\Navezgane" folder out of frustration Deleted entire "C:\Users\username\Documents\7 Days To Die\Saves\Navezgane" directory Re-downloaded missing files using steam integrity check Start new save called test1234 Joined save test1234 Clear of all prefabs This leads me to believe that my prefabs are either getting saved to the default region files or my registry is only letting go when I force it by completely reloading the 7dtd\data\worlds directory. Makes it a huge pain to check prefabs ingame when I have to complete these steps just to clear my work area. Any ideas? I'm running no mods and this is my local machine. Fresh install of v7.11 via steam installer. Sudo

[QUOTE=sudo;69270]Is anyone having issues with persistence when trying to remove a prefab from a save or the game for that matter? I didn't see a mention of this yet so I'm wondering if I'm the only one having this issue. Basically I added a prefab to my save. Let's call this save abc. I wanted to make some changes to my prefab so I needed to clear the regions Cleared regions (verified) from save abc Joined save abc Prefabs still present in save abc Started a fresh save. We'll call this one 123 Joined save 123 Prefab is somehow present on new save 123 Deleted entire "C:\Users\username\Documents\7 Days To Die\Saves\Navezgane" directory Started new save called abc123 Prefabs somehow present in same locaiton Deleted entire "D:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\7 Days To Die\Data\Worlds\Navezgane" folder out of frustration Deleted entire "C:\Users\username\Documents\7 Days To Die\Saves\Navezgane" directory Re-downloaded missing files using steam integrity check Start new save called test1234 Joined save test1234 Clear of all prefabs This leads me to believe that my prefabs are either getting saved to the default region files or my registry is only letting go when I force it by completely reloading the 7dtd\data\worlds directory. Makes it a huge pain to check prefabs ingame when I have to complete these steps just to clear my work area. Any ideas? I'm running no mods and this is my local machine. Fresh install of v7.11 via steam installer. Sudo[/QUOTE] I'll be gone for a couple days. So I hope this helps prior to my being gone. @sudo, You need to "Delete" the save game regions. Not "Clear" the regions. There is no such thing as clearing a prefab from a saved game region. It is stored in the save game itself. So "resetting" as in loot, respawn, etc in the area will not be enough, this only refreshes loot etc in the area and not remove the physical region data. Make sure the server is "offline" prior to removing the physical r****.7rg files from your current save game folder IE: "C:\Users\YourUserName\Documents\7 Days To Die\Saves\Navezgane\YourGameWorldName\Region" this will resolve the issue. I hope this reads clearly, not feeling spiffy and doing my best. PS If this is documented, I've not found the reference to just copy paste, but I didn't search very long either. Good luck / Cheers @Mod Section Don't break anything without me, I'll be back sometime this weekend or Monday.

[QUOTE=sudo;69270]Is anyone having issues with persistence when trying to remove a prefab from a save or the game for that matter? I didn't see a mention of this yet so I'm wondering if I'm the only one having this issue. Basically I added a prefab to my save. Let's call this save abc. I wanted to make some changes to my prefab so I needed to clear the regions Cleared regions (verified) from save abc Joined save abc Prefabs still present in save abc Started a fresh save. We'll call this one 123 Joined save 123 Prefab is somehow present on new save 123 Deleted entire "C:\Users\username\Documents\7 Days To Die\Saves\Navezgane" directory Started new save called abc123 Prefabs somehow present in same locaiton Deleted entire "D:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\7 Days To Die\Data\Worlds\Navezgane" folder out of frustration Deleted entire "C:\Users\username\Documents\7 Days To Die\Saves\Navezgane" directory Re-downloaded missing files using steam integrity check Start new save called test1234 Joined save test1234 Clear of all prefabs This leads me to believe that my prefabs are either getting saved to the default region files or my registry is only letting go when I force it by completely reloading the 7dtd\data\worlds directory. Makes it a huge pain to check prefabs ingame when I have to complete these steps just to clear my work area. Any ideas? I'm running no mods and this is my local machine. Fresh install of v7.11 via steam installer. Sudo[/QUOTE] To remove a prefab you have to edit the prefab.xml file for the world it's in. For Navezgane it would be at %GameInstall%\Data\Worlds\Navezgane\prefabs.xml At the top of the xml you'd line a line like Remove this and save the xml. Then delete all the region files for your save and enter the game again.

Thanks guys. I guess I had assumed that prefabs existed in the game structure along side player created structures. I didn't end up having to delete any region files to make changes to my prefab. I just remove the top line of the prefabs.xml like you said and then use the prefab editor to inject my updated prefab back into the xml file.

[QUOTE=sudo;69354]Thanks guys. I guess I had assumed that prefabs existed in the game structure along side player created structures. I didn't end up having to delete any region files to make changes to my prefab. I just remove the top line of the prefabs.xml like you said and then use the prefab editor to inject my updated prefab back into the xml file.[/QUOTE] They do exist like that in the region files of the save game but the prefab.xml is the template for creating things when a region/chunk hasn't been loaded before. If you have the "delete region" checkbox ticked in the editor it will automatically delete the region files when you insert a new prefab. You can also use the "Clear Regions" option to make the world regenerate if you want to test changes to prefabs.

Archived