Any way to stop 7d2d from updating?

kryzzk

I really like the current version, it's the 1st survival Zombie game that I have found that I like and while some of what is planned for the next update sounds good and is needed, some of it sounds like things that will make me stop playing if there is no way to disable them, so before the new version hits I would like to stop it from updating on my main computer so that if I don't like the new version, I will still have the old one to play.

If that is not possible is there a way to get a copy not linked to steam so that I don't have to worry about auto updates?

thanks.

I really like the current version, it's the 1st survival Zombie game that I have found that I like and while some of what is planned for the next update sounds good and is needed, some of it sounds like things that will make me stop playing if there is no way to disable them, so before the new version hits I would like to stop it from updating on my main computer so that if I don't like the new version, I will still have the old one to play.

If that is not possible is there a way to get a copy not linked to steam so that I don't have to worry about auto updates?

thanks.

Simplest way is to make a copy of the 7 Days to Die folder in your Steam directory and paste it to another location.

The copy will not be updated, just run A16 from the copy.

The 7DtD Mod Launcher also has the option to do much the same for any previous versions of the game (back to A10.4), leaving the main Steam files untouched.

Simplest way is to make a copy of the 7 Days to Die folder in your Steam directory and paste it to another location.

The copy will not be updated, just run A16 from the copy.

The 7DtD Mod Launcher also has the option to do much the same for any previous versions of the game (back to A10.4), leaving the main Steam files untouched.

I didn't know I could copy 7d2d out of steam and it still work. thanks.

It really is easy to do. Just go into Properties, select the Betas tab, and choose the version from the drop-down.

NONE - Opt out of all beta programs

This will auto-update to the latest
stable
version.

When a17 Experimental Release Candidate is available, you will NOT get auto updated.

When a17.6
Stable
is available, you
will
get auto-updated.

alpha16.4 - Alpha 16.4 Stable

Select this, and you will remain on a16.4 Stable until you choose a different option.

09a88d531aa3bcf58710139c493e2965.png

You'll also have 3-4 weeks of warning. When A17e drops that will be something people will have to opt into if they want to try it out. Nobody will be auto updated. After about 3-4 weeks of experimental feedback the developers will push out A17 stable which will automatically download for anyone who did not do as Sylen outlined above.

• 3 months later...

I did a google search and came across this post wondering how I too could prevent an update. Hopefully, someone sees my reply, as I have a couple questions about the save files.

I am currently running a private server for 7 Days for myself and a few friends. I installed the server from the Steam Library/Tools section. We're running the current build - Alpha 7.1. I have read that updates to both the server tool and the game istself can cause backwards compatibility issues with your saves. If this is true, can we select Alpha 7.1 in both the server and game beta options and lock in to that version so our progress/saves dont get messed up?

My other question is, what data does the server files save as compared to the data that is saved in the local appdata/roaming/7days folder? Does the Appdata/roaming folder files only save your character info? Or does it save info for the game that is in the server files as well? And should we all be backing up the raoming save files so we don't loose any progress?

Thanks in advance for any helpful replies!

The server doesn't even need STEAM running, so it'll never update unless you take direct action to do so. That means the clients will be responsible for ensuring they are on the same version as the server, and see Doom's post on how to do that.

In my steamapps/common folder I have:

7 Days to Die (this is updated via steam)

7 Days to Die - Guppy Server (this does not get updated by steam)

7 Days to Die - Medieval Mod (this does not get updated by steam)

...etc. It's the quick and dirty method but it works flawlessly.

The ONLY file that gets saved locally (that's important) is the map the player sees when they hit Map... I'm not sure why there are other files in localsaves. <shrug> So the server's save folder is the important one. Backup backup backup your server saves, yes.

Awesome! Thank you for your reply! I've been trying to get the answers to a lot fo this all week ha. MUCH appreciated!

Please bear with me on this reply. I want to try and understand all of this so we don't sink a lot of time into this game and get our files duped. That's why we stopped playing before.... :(

Here are the steps I have taken to back up the server and current version of the game:

I went into the steamapps/common folder (which is NOT my C drive - its a separate drive) and copied both the regular 7 Days To Die folder and the 7 Days to Die Dedicated Server folder and pasted them both elsewhere on the drive and labled the folder 7 Days To Die - v17.1 alpha. I launched the server and game directly from these fodlers, and got into our game with no issues. So I'll assume Steam won't update the game insdie this folder. I will make sure my friends who join me on this sever do the same thing on thier systems.

As far as the local saves folder, which is of course on my C drive - this is where I get confused.

In C:\Users\xxxxx\AppData\Roaming\7DaysToDie I have a 'Saves' folder, a 'SavesLocal' folder, a Useroptions.ini file, and a launchersettings.json file.

Inside the 'SavesLoca'l folder is a folder with a bunch of random letters and numbers. Inside that folder is a file called hosts.txt (which has the IP address we use to connect to our server in it). Then a folder labled 'Player' which has a .map file. The name of the .map file is random numbers.

Now, inside the C:\Users\xxxxx\AppData\Roaming\7DaysToDie\Saves folder, I have a serveradmin.xml file, a profiles.sdf file, and a folder labled 'Navezgane' (which is the map we play on - not random gen). Inside the Navezgane folder, I have a folder of files for a local game I play by myself, and then a folder that has our server name on it. Inside the folder that has the server name, it has 2 folders - Player' and 'Region' and several other files like players.xml, power.dat, verhicles.dat etc. This is where I got confused on what files I need to back up and what files the other players should be backing up, if any from the local roamoing folder...?

I am really sorry if this is confusing or anything, I just want to make sure our server game is all bbacked up properly.

Archived